why has my blondi stop eating?

jan101venter

Arachnopeon
My blondie hasnt been eating for a few months now.she just stoped feeding.and my other spiders also started eating alot less.is there any reason for this?

Attachments

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas can go very long periods without food. It could be just fasting which many species do or premolt. Same goes for your other Ts.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's a problem with the cage or temps, or something it was exposed to. Theraphosa are fanatical eaters, and only stop briefly when they're premolt and have a plump abdomen. Yours has a small abdomen. It should be eating like there's no tomorrow. You need to figure out the problem. What's changed?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
There's a problem with the cage or temps, or something it was exposed to. Theraphosa are fanatical eaters, and only stop briefly when they're premolt and have a plump abdomen. Yours has a small abdomen. It should be eating like there's no tomorrow. You need to figure out the problem. What's changed?
Did not notice the small abdomen before, oops.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Did not notice the small abdomen before, oops.

Yeah, to me that's a red flag. Thin Theraphosa should be leaping on prey aggressively. If they're not, they're probably going downhill. South Africa's still in winter. Maybe there's some cold nights. What temp is the OP's spider room? Other potential issues are a dry cage, lack of clean water, or poor ventilation. Get those dialed in and it will eat.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Yeah, to me that's a red flag. Thin Theraphosa should be leaping on prey aggressively. If they're not, they're probably going downhill. South Africa's still in winter. Maybe there's some cold nights. What temp is the OP's spider room? Other potential issues are a dry cage, lack of clean water, or poor ventilation. Get those dialed in and it will eat.
The enclosure walls look a bit high for a terrestrial to me. Could it have taken a fall and be refusing food due to an injury? Also aren't T. blondi one of the more sensitive Theraphosa when it comes to humidity and husbandry in general?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The enclosure walls look a bit high for a terrestrial to me. Could it have taken a fall and be refusing food due to an injury?

Right, high sides are a bad idea, couldn't really tell from that pic, but that's also a possibility.

symbol

Arachnopeon
OP said that they'd noticed reduced appetite in ALL their Ts though. If the blondi fell, that could cause it to stop eating, but it wouldn't affect the rest of the collection.
High sides are still a potentially dangerous feature and should be corrected, but I would think there's likely another issue in play here since all the Ts are being affected by it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think that you have a lot to learn, my man (no offence) before talking about nonsense like cross breeding or else uh :shifty:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Am I the only one who sees N tripepii? Definitely not T blondi imo. If that's the case the abdomen could be worse, but I agree with the sentiment of a temperature issue.

Last edited:

symbol

Arachnopeon
Am I the only one who sees N tripepii? Definitely not T blondi imo.
I didn't think it really looked like most of the blondi pics I'd seen, but I'm also a newb and have only really looked at pictures/video of mature specimens. I thought maybe juvies looked really different or something.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I didn't think it really looked like most of the blondi pics I'd seen, but I'm also a newb and have only really looked at pictures/video of mature specimens. I thought maybe juvies looked really different or something.
It's definitely not a blondi. I think it could be an honest common name mistake as the common name for N tripepii is Brazilian Blonde. Blondi, blonde, blondie.