Why dont I ever see any large adult T's for sale?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I'm interested in the larger species, like the Birdeaters, but I never see any large adults for sale. I know that the males die soon after reaching maturity, but if the females live 20+ years, why dont I ever see any of the large ones for sale anywhere?

BillyG

Arachnopeon
say what?there's plenty's!most common G.rosea,red knees,and more expensive ones as singapore blue or goliath,like couple hundred dollars for what i saw.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Watch the board!

Jeryst, Keep a close eye on the adds. I see adds for subadult to mature females for ridiculously good prices pop up from time to time. I'm actually inclined to believe that slings are more popular with many of the newer keepers these days from wtb lists or various posts, etc.

Much of this undoubtedly arises from the same old syndrome- as with herps, mammals but at a smaller scale- they're not wanting to continue keeping anything beginning to grow large enough to inflict bodily harm.

Others merely letting a spp go to avoid duplicates or moving and can no longer keep, etc. Whatever the case- their loss is your gain. :)

Terry

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There was a bird eater of some kind at my LPS for 2 years, sold right before i had the cash for it. it was 8" on the last molt.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see them all the time. Just got a large female Lasiodora dificilis a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. Perhaps you're not reading the classifieds all the way through? Be aware, spiders that size are priced accordingly.

vohnholley

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check several times a day. They come up but go really fast. Last month i found a unsexed smithi for a phenomenal price.. I'm sure it will mature out as a male but who cares. there is some one on the board right now who has sub adults for a really good price. So good, im going to purchase some things from them next week.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are in there, you just have to be persistent and check regularly. The ones that are well priced go very fast. If you see what you want, move on it right away or more than likely somebody else will grab it.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am constantly watching for large female G pulchra. I see adult Ts very frequently. Like the others said, you have to be tenacious.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice sized T's become available all the time, you just have to pay the piper for them.

Raising your own T to an adult is so much more rewarding.

PIG-

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Nice sized T's become available all the time, you just have to pay the piper for them.

Raising your own T to an adult is so much more rewarding.

PIG-
And when you raise them up .. then try to put a price on them it ends up high.

The simple fact of the effort, time and money that goes into raising a small sling to an adult adds lots of 'value' to the T.

That value keeps the owner from selling. ( of course along with the attachment etc. :D )

As for watching for adult G. pulchra as Scoolman is.. good luck. those are hard to find.. took me years to get mine as a sling and she is just now 1.5 inches.

Also when you buy an adult, you never know how old it is* thus not sure how much longer it will have to live. Buying a sub-adult or sling ensures the full lifespan

*( unless the owner raised from a sling, and we're back to the beginning again)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Power.....feed.....

I don't actually recommend powerfeeding, but its still a possibility to 'grow your own' quickly if you can't find adults or are not willing to pay $600 for something like P.metallica.