Why does this T have its butt in the air?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My G. pulchra male has recently been hanging out in the corner for periods of time with his rear in the air. Any ideas?

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
uhhh...haha. maybe he is trying to make a treetop web....or poop....

i have no useful ideas, sorry

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This seems to be a behavior that many people have observed, and none seem to have a great explaination for. In any case, it seems to be normal.

Some have commented that it's for getting better air-flow around the book lungs, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the reason for it. I would dearly love to see a good brain-storm (I hate that term...) about possible explainations.

I note that it's the same maneuver that spiderlings make when they take off on their little web-parachutes in the spring/summer. I wonder if it's a throw-back to that behavior... I also realise that's not a great explaination either.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen this done from quite a few of my T's and it always appears when the I or something else has suprised or aggrivated the T. It's a threat to make them look bigger. The next step would be to brush hairs off or something a little more obvious to give the hint, it wants to be left alone.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since he's right up next to another tank I'm guessing he can sense that there's another spider near. haha, he looks like a cat!

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That makes sense... why didn't I think about that?!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. pulchra male has recently been hanging out in the corner for periods of time with his rear in the air. Any ideas?
is there something that your spider is figthing with? like a molt or something? or is it near a mirror?...could be a defensive posture to whatever that thing in front of it is..looks like a molt.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i can't tell if that's a reflection on the right or not...either way, it wouldn't matter if there was a mirror there. A T's eyesight wouldn't be able to distinguish what it is and since there's no chemical "trail" given off by a reflection the T wouldn't sense anything was there.

I've had some T's do that as a defensive posture, other times for no reason that I can explain...

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my p. lugardi did that during her pre-molt. stayed like that for nearly 24 hrs. if that's any clue to this behavior.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I understand that T's have muscles to contract their legs, maybe they are just stretching them. Maybe they just like to do it from time to time. Just my two cents.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No muscles, "hydralics" =)

Also, very nice T.

I know they use fluid pressure to extend the legs but I was under the impression that they had muscles of some sort to close the flex the legs hence the curled up position at death. I could be wrong. If someone could explain how that works for me I would appreciate it.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They have muscles that extend the legs on all but the last two segments. The last two segments of the legs are extended by blood pressure.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am not really sure why, but i don't think its anything to worry about. i have to say it looks really cute like that{D

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My M.robustum did that yesterday when I was messin with her tank, I think its a "get ready to be bombed" display, kinda like a skunk does before it ruins your day.

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
I believe this to clearly be a type of defensive posture. Especially since it seems a B. Smithi is in the enclosure next door and it seems quite close to him.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think its B.Smithi, more looks Brachypelma auratum
but ether way, I dont see much problem wit that, I dont think they really see it
maybe he is gona dig a hole :D
real nice T :D kinda cute too, wit buttom up like dat {D

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the answer.

my entmology prof says that arthropods obelisk to cool thier bodies. I showed him the picture and he says that he is 98% sure that is what it is doing.