Why do you love them?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Your post is heard and strikes a chord with me. I think this point will resonate with many souls on AB. For articulating and sharing this feeling, you deserve all of the peace you experience 👍

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yep. One of the most enjoyable things for me to do is sit at my workspace and look at my T’s surrounding me.

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
I know ! They stay mostly hidden during the day but when they do come out I can’t help but to just watch and admire how no matter what goes on around them they just keep things simple . “ where ya goin little spider?”, “ what are you thinking?”

See what I mean 🤦🏻‍♀️ She rearranged her enclosure then is like “ ok now fix it!”! She is so bossy!!

Attachments

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love them because they do not nag, eat much or want to spend my money on frivolous things.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think the relaxation aspect of keeping them is the biggest draw for me. I just like watching them do spider stuff. They don't care about the world. Just looking for food and moving dirt around.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Their behavior is fascinating, they're gorgeous to look at, and (unlike people or my dog) they don't WANT anything from me.
Wonderfully low-impact pets for someone who is chronically running on fumes.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I love them because they teach me so much and inspire me to keep learning new things, and then I get to teach other people what I've learned and occasionally inspire them to want to learn more and that part just really warms my heart.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Among other reasons: they're just so low-maintenance. I used to have guinea pigs, and they were really fun, but man, so much work. More than a dog, tbh.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Mine are important to me because they remind me that I am capable of doing anything and can overcome fears. They also teach me patience, open up my creativity (which I lack) to create environments that I can enjoy, and give me an opportunity to take a moment to take a breath and enjoy the beauty of life in the craziness of everything going on.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have such a keen interest in them due to the amazing design of such a “simple” creature. Delving into such areas as their sensory reception is amazing, and then to see firsthand the design in action is fascinating. The variety is also a huge draw.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I think they are so cute! They also are easy to care for and do not require too much care and they are pretty to look at as well. I find their behaviours interesting. When I need a break from my stay-at-home job on the computer I like to get up and peek in on them to see how they are doing.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I love them for many reasons. They're absolutely fascinating to learn about. There's always something new to learn, and new species being discovered. They're marvels of millions of years of evolution. Also, so relaxing to watch...like having a slice of nature inside of my home. Coming home from a hectic day at work and watching these creatures exhibit natural behaviors is a highlight of my day for sure. I also thoroughly enjoy getting creative and designing new enclosures. I'm also someone who struggles with depression and these tarantulas give me something to delve into during difficult times. It's also given me an opportunity to make more friends and connect with other people which is a huge deal for me since I tend to be very introverted and socially awkward. And, of course, their fluffiness and unique little quirks of each one are adorable. And to top this all off, they're so low maintenance. The list goes on and on.

disentomb

c u r s e d
I have a few different reasons, but my biggest one is exactly what you said, the calmness they bring me. I work nights so when I get home, usually a handful are out and about and I can sit there all morning watching them do tarantula things. It's eerily calming.

And like someone else mentioned, they've taught me patience. It's incredible.

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
Same, I work graveyard shift as well and when I come home and they are out early in the morning I literally just sit and destress (I’m a night nurse) watching them, and I get the best pictures in the house!

I think the relaxation aspect of keeping them is the biggest draw for me. I just like watching them do spider stuff. They don't care about the world. Just looking for food and moving dirt around.
The moving dirt around is the funniest! “Why there?” Is always my question. My baby Singapore builds a web then the next day there is dirt piled on top 😂😂 Like why 🤷🏻‍♀️

I love them because they teach me so much and inspire me to keep learning new things, and then I get to teach other people what I've learned and occasionally inspire them to want to learn more and that part just really warms my heart.
I love when people bring their kids over, and say “oh they are so afraid of spiders.”, then they get here and the kid has their faces dang near pressed on the glass asking all the questions and wants to see it eat!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I love when people bring their kids over, and say “oh they are so afraid of spiders.”, then they get here and the kid has their faces dang near pressed on the glass asking all the questions and wants to see it eat!
Omg, so cute, right? My sons friend caught a tiny jumping spider that he keeps at my house because his mom won't let him have it at home. He comes to check on it every day and he also loves the big hissing cockroaches!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
There is literally nothing more relaxing then watching her. Literal peace and calm. They do more for me then they know. My therapy.
I love them because they are adorable and I love how they act! I don't know why they are so misunderstood!!