Why do you like tarantulas?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Couldn't find a thread like this, though I surely thought one existed. If I missed it someone let me know!

So, why do we all like spiders? What keeps you interested, why do you keep buying them?

For me, I think mine are pretty cute and I love all of their "personalities." I find animal behaviour to be very interesting so I'm endlessly entertained with watching them do new things that I haven't witnessed before.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I find them to be beautiful beyond compare, just like all arthropods. I just look upon them and my heart is filled with joy immeasurable. They are my only consistent source for this feeling.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Spiders have been in the fossil record for tens of millions of years, these are ancient species lineages.

To me a spider (and arachnids in general) don't/doesn't even look like any other common animal type. Their life style, habits and behaviors are almost alien. Name another animal form outside of arachnids that has such a crazy set of abilities. Maybe a Tardigrades....

I have a student at school, last week, telling me about his pet tarantula that went 18 months without feeding...and would sit in the exact same spot same position for weeks without moving.

They amaze, intrigue, and sort of scare me....all at the same time.

The more I read about them, study them and spend time observing them...the cooler and more interesting they become.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Growing up I had arachnophobia and when I was first exposed to a friend of mines B.albopilosum, I became interested over time. I now find them fascinating and very interesting. I will not handle my T's , and I do have a huge curiosity and enjoy the interaction of feeding and taking care of them. I try to learn as much as I can about them. It's really enjoyable.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My mother is incredibly afraid of spiders, entirely beyond all reason. I suppose I was curious, as a young boy, about why she was so afraid of them. I used to catch jumping spiders (audax is pretty common where I grew up), and once I caught a female black widow. I kept her for a few days before my mom found her, and she actually made an egg sack during that time.

I've always been fascinated by snakes too. It's why I went into biology. Their metabolism and lifestyle is so very different from our own, and that plays a part in many of their behaviors and even physical traits. I kept and bred boas for several years.

I think it's sort of the way my dad is with fish. He likes to watch them swim around. He says it calms his mind and he finds it therapeutic. I'm like that with my boas and spiders. I watch them roam their enclosures, drink, eat, shed and all the other things they do. When I hold my boas, I'm very slow and deliberate and I talk softly to them constantly. It's therapeutic for me. Helps me calm my mind, slow my body, and think.

Not to mention they're so beautiful. I love dogs, but I've never seen one as colorful as a GBB.

WheelbarrowTim

Arachnopeon
I find Ts to be very peaceful. Their gentle movements, their soft hair, their little modifications they make to their enclosures. Watching Ts be Ts just makes me less stressed.
Plus, I love interacting with them. Feeding them, rehousing them, anything. Any chance I get to interact with my T is always exciting for me. I think Ts just exist in their own little category of awesome!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Because they’re like good Marines, merciless and they don’t talk back.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
They relax me. I don't know what it is about seeing my legion of leg nerds doing nerdy spider stuff that is so relaxing, but I love watching them just be spiders.

Astron

Arachnopeon
Spiders have been in the fossil record for tens of millions of years, these are ancient species lineages.

To me a spider (and arachnids in general) don't/doesn't even look like any other common animal type. Their life style, habits and behaviors are almost alien. Name another animal form outside of arachnids that has such a crazy set of abilities. Maybe a Tardigrades....
So very much agree with this! Though Octopoda are a strong contender for abilities (not sure the husbandry would be as easy though...!)

As well as that, my spoods have helped my 3yo son to overcome the "learned" fear of all spiders he was beginning to pick up, to the extent that he will now happily wander around the house with a catch cup that he's borrowed, looking for house spiders to relocate back out to the garden

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I've had issues with both cricket and roach addiction for decades. They help me keep it under control.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Why do I love tarantulas? Hmmmm, not quite sure.

Ah yes that's it. It's because they're absolutely stunning.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
I love Tarantulas because they look so magical, like from another world. They are truly magical animals for me and so different than other animals. And the fact, that over 1000 different species are out there, makes it more fascinating. I´ve been keeping T´s over 20 years and still when I watch them I think "Wow, these are so beautyful and special creatures"!

T´s will never get boring for me, there will always be a special love for them.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Excellent question, thanks for asking everyone this! The responses are great.

My animals are therapeutic. And I mean that literally, all my creatures are a form of therapy for me. My life situation is such that I have to actively care for my mood and mental health and brain function, and Ts and my other animals and my plants help me stay relaxed and optimistic and caring. They also keep me intellectually engaged and exercise the thinky parts of my brainmeats.

Besides just a general, blanket fascination for them, I also...
...love how they are one of the extremely few exotics that can be kept in captivity entirely humanely without making any compromises to their care.
...am deeply in love with G. pulchras in particular. Their color and texture, their temperament and personalities, their size and build, their behaviors, everything. Just mad for them!
...love to design and build planted display enclosures for them. I especially like making ones that appear close to their natural habitat. Maybe one day I'll even do a true biotope! I think eventually everyone finds at least one special little niche of the hobby that they particularly enjoy, like a certain specific genus or photographing them or breeding them or collecting species for certain regions or trying to collect specimens from as many species as possible or making videos or any number of things. And for me I adore everything about planted enclosures-researching, planning, designing, building, everything.
...love the science end of arachnids. Well, any animal really. I miss working with animals and having that outlet for my curiosities about anatomy, physiology, behavior and so forth. So I still keeping reading and researching and thinking and observing. And now talking here with my AB people. :D

Looking forward to reading more of other people's reasons!

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think that it is a privilege to live with these alien creatures who can teach us so much about compassion, empathy, understanding of our natural world, and the importance of being able to love something without the reward of them loving us back.
They teach us that their value extends beyond what value they hold for us.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I think that it is a privilege to live with these alien creatures who can teach us so much about compassion, empathy, understanding of our natural world, and the importance of being able to love something without the reward of them loving us back.
They teach us that their value extends beyond what value they hold for us.
This post is perfection!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
At first it was to overcome the phobia, but now I really don't know why, I just do. I do think owning tarantulas is a very amazing privilege.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I used to go herping as a kid and catch all kinds of stuff from frogs to brine shrimp to caterpillars. That kind of went away and I had a dog for 18 years and hamsters. Got into cats in the last 20 years or so. Great companions and they give back.

Got into exotics a while back with tarantulas. Not sure why. I conquered my arachnophobia a long time ago and I guess it just cycled back to me. Now I have 5 long tailed grass lizards, 2 leopard geckos and about 20 spiders and I love them all. I agree with @Vanessa about giving them care and not having it reciprocated. There is just something about nurturing an animal with no obvious payback.

My life has been a disaster for several years and getting into exotics has been by far the best thing I could have done for myself. So I see @Feral's point as well!

Plus who doesn't like to see spiders do highly neurotic things with water dishes. Always brings a smile to my face!

Last edited:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Low maintenance pet that costs near nothing to keep. No special heating/lighting or supplements like reptiles need. Plus I find them interesting and beautiful

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
It's been great hearing everyone's responses. :) I'm glad these fuzzy little 8-legged fluffs can bring so much joy into people's lives!