Why do you like tarantulas?

VermillionFox

Arachnopeon
I was lucky as around 6 years old our scout leaders were very big on nature. They found and had us let a Texas brown walk on us, showing us how ridiculously harmless they were, and discussing with all of us kids at the time how absolutely beneficial they were to the world. Everyone quickly got over their fear of spiders and we got to where we'd find webs or burrow in the wild and toss in a grasshopper or two as a thank you.

Seriously, once a kid goes "Oh, it just wants to be left alone and kill harmful bugs for us" a lot of respect and love forms.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have an affinity for weird, misunderstood creatures.

There's also the fact that they're fairly cheap (where I'm from anyway), very low maintenance, and watching them murk things is fun.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OP, is your user name a reference to anything? I ask bc I’m studying to be an embalmer.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been fond of bugs since I was a little kid. As for tarantulas in particular; the combination of big fuzzy mouthparts and goofy little eye cluster is really cute. I like to watch them do spider things like spinning webs, digging burrows, and grooming. Coming home from school or errands or whatever and spending 10 minutes seeing what the spider horde is up to was a nice way to relax. I also like how low maintenance they are. I'm too crippled to do the upkeep pets generally require. I'm really glad Ts are so low maintenance that I didn't have to rehome mine once my health tanked.

lwinther47

Arachnopeon
I’m sure it’s different for everyone, but for me it’s like this.... They are very special pets. Not a lot of people have them (at least were I live) and that makes them interesting, but I also really think they are such cool animals, the way they move, eat, behave and just are. This far I only have one tarantula, he’s a b. boehmei. But I have plans on getting more, and my baby is super friendly, ofc he have bad days, and those days he kick hairs. but other days he likes being on me and being handled. I’ve only got a threat posture from him once, and that was bc we didn’t know it was me (and I kinda scared him etc). He’s amazing!!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’m sure it’s different for everyone, but for me it’s like this.... They are very special pets. Not a lot of people have them (at least were I live) and that makes them interesting, but I also really think they are such cool animals, the way they move, eat, behave and just are. This far I only have one tarantula, he’s a b. boehmei. But I have plans on getting more, and my baby is super friendly, ofc he have bad days, and those days he kick hairs. but other days he likes being on me and being handled. I’ve only got a threat posture from him once, and that was bc we didn’t know it was me (and I kinda scared him etc). He’s amazing!!
Not on topic, but just a heads up cus of your avatar: DO NOT put tarantulas on your face. Urticating hairs embedded in the cornea can cause long-term eye damage.

Giles52

Arachnopeon
I had zero interest in owning a tarantula. I was actually a little creeped out by them. But then, I needed to know how to take care of one for a story I was writing. I really just needed the basics so it would come off as realistic in the story. Things online were confusing, since I knew NOTHING about them. I picked up The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, and was freakin' amazed. Totally fascinated. By the time I got to the end, I wanted a spider of my own. Since then, it's been like falling in love. They're each so different. I never get tired of, not only watching/caring for mine, but learning about the ones I don't have, and what's happening in the hobby, and listening/watching other keepers with their collections. It's been an unexpected joy.

Lately I've been entertaining the idea of a scorpion, which is insane to me. I've always - always - been freaked out by them. But now, they're looking kinda cute.

Eukio

Arachnosquire
They are pretty. Plus they are a low maintenance pet that I don't have to socialize with. The tarantula doesn't need attention. The tarantula doesn't need to be walked. The tarantula doesn't need to be fed multiple times a day. Etc.

Chuck Z

Arachnopeon
I find tarantulas to be absolutely one of the most interesting animals I’ve ever been exposed to in my life. The spiders that I currently own give me purpose to learn more about them all the time. The vast varieties of other species that exist and the intricacies of their habits are endlessly fascinating. I’ve owned many different types of animals but the level of enjoyment that I get for caring for these creatures could never be measured. I only wish that my tarantulas could know the important role they play in my life.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
OP, is your user name a reference to anything? I ask bc I’m studying to be an embalmer.
It's a double reference, one to my morbid curiosity and mostly to John Entwistle's 1973 solo album 'Rigor Mortis Sets In'. I've got 3 Ts named after characters from the album.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I’ve liked spiders since I was a bairn. Getting a tarantula as a pet was cool because I love observing them.

Martikhoras

Arachnopeon
I am the type of human who rather watch Youtube than TV.
One day YT recommended me Tarantula Videos of a certain Croatian. ;)
I thought this is nonsense, why would someone do videos about such creatures. I knew nothing about tarantulas and had respect of spiders. Kind of a "learned fear."
While youtube kept on recommending the videos, I watched one of them, one day. After a short time I watched all videos on the channel and found new interesting channels with much more informations.
I even read books, which is very unusual for me. I bought 2 small slings and surely will buy a bigger one next year to help with my chirping crickets. :angelic:
People fear what they do not know and while learning about them I got more and more fascinated.

The way they are moving, hunting, eating, molting is somehow creepy but at the same time very interesting. The whole biology of this little creatures is so different from us mammals.
On the plus side is additionally that they are really low maintenance. I am just too lazy for a cat or dog or any "usual" animal.
And because most people do not know anything about them, I can first shock them by telling them I have some and then explain why they are so fascinating and misunderstood.