Why do you keep tarantulas?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I saw someone on Facebook the other day trying to wrap their head around the fact that there are people who keep tarantulas in their homes. He didn't understand why someone would keep one with the possibility of it escaping and "killing you in your sleep." He came to the conclusion that all of us hobbyists are just in it for the danger. We enjoy keeping tarantulas so we can get a little bit of thrill in our lives, according to him.

Obviously this person was uninformed, but his musing did make me wonder why exactly it is that I find tarantulas so appealing to keep. I'll tell you, it definitely isn't for the danger. (And really, if you're keeping tarantulas or the thrill of it, that's a pretty irresponsible reason for owning them.) I don't consider any of my tarantulas "dangerous" per say. I have a few specimens that could pack a wallop of a bite, yes, but I wouldn't call them dangerous. I'm not the slightest bit scared of them, so they don't exactly provide me with any sort of "thrill."

Personally, I keep them simply because they're incredibly interesting and amazing animals. They're evolutionary leftovers from the Carboniferous, a time when some arthropod species regularly grew to impressive sizes. They've survived on this earth nearly unchanged for 300 million years, talk about living fossils! They're so unlike anything we're used to, and they're large enough to really grasp the amazing differences between the animals we're used to: Chordata, and a phylum we don't often see up close: Arthropoda. They come from all over the world, are easy to care for, and there's so much variety within the Theraphosidae family. They're quite beautiful as well. I dare you to find me a familiar dog, cat, or hamster that is iridescent blue and orange!

So why do you keep tarantulas? What fuels your attraction for big hairy spiders?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I feel emboldened enough to say this: I believe many of us here feel as misunderstood as our eight legged companions at times.

Is that the #1 reason we keep them? Nah... Not even close. Whether any of you agree or not, I definitely connect with them in that way.

Also, I just find them fascinating and stunning. :cat::cat:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I saw someone on Facebook the other day trying to wrap their head around the fact that there are people who keep tarantulas in their homes. He didn't understand why someone would keep one with the possibility of it escaping and "killing you in your sleep." He came to the conclusion that all of us hobbyists are just in it for the danger. We enjoy keeping tarantulas so we can get a little bit of thrill in our lives, according to him.

Obviously this person was uninformed, but his musing did make me wonder why exactly it is that I find tarantulas so appealing to keep. I'll tell you, it definitely isn't for the danger. (And really, if you're keeping tarantulas or the thrill of it, that's a pretty irresponsible reason for owning them.) I don't consider any of my tarantulas "dangerous" per say. I have a few specimens that could pack a wallop of a bite, yes, but I wouldn't call them dangerous. I'm not the slightest bit scared of them, so they don't exactly provide me with any sort of "thrill."

Personally, I keep them simply because they're incredibly interesting and amazing animals. They're evolutionary leftovers from the Carboniferous, a time when some arthropod species regularly grew to impressive sizes. They've survived on this earth nearly unchanged for 300 million years, talk about living fossils! They're so unlike anything we're used to, and they're large enough to really grasp the amazing differences between the animals we're used to: Chordata, and a phylum we don't often see up close: Arthropoda. They come from all over the world, are easy to care for, and there's so much variety within the Theraphosidae family. They're quite beautiful as well. I dare you to find me a familiar dog, cat, or hamster that is iridescent blue and orange!

So why do you keep tarantulas? What fuels your attraction for big hairy spiders?
Hey you! You entirely explained why I keep them. Living fossils of any kind fascinate me. I'm awed that these beasts' ancestors produced, yes yes evolution helped, creatures whose ancestry is right under their carapace. When I look at them I see their ancestor's bodies, the movement. Oh, yeah -- the fangs!

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Hey you! You entirely explained why I keep them. Living fossils of any kind fascinate me. I'm awed that these beasts' ancestors produced, yes yes evolution helped, creatures whose ancestry is right under their carapace. When I look at them I see their ancestor's bodies, the movement. Oh, yeah -- the fangs!
It's also incredible that spiders have managed to survive multiple extinction level events. They were here before us, and they'll almost certainly be here long after we're gone!

keks

Arachnobaron
I feel emboldened enough to say this: I believe many of us here feel as misunderstood as our eight legged companions at times.

Is that the #1 reason we keep them? Nah... Not even close. Whether any of you agree or not, I definitely connect with them in that way.

Also, I just find them fascinating and stunning. :cat::cat:
Could be true in some ways. But for me they are like a window into a world far behind too. I love animals that are living fossiles like Coelacanthiformes, turtles, tortoises or millipedes. They are perfect, because they live since millions of years on this planet. Nature is so great ... and crazy :) .

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Simple, I am a former arachnophobe who is now obsessed, plus they are interesting and they are so unique that people take time out of their schedules to educate others about that which Hollywood has warped.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can't understand those who don't have any tarantulas.

They're a massive hairy spider. What's not to love about that sentence?

I keep tarantulas for the same reason I keep my other inverts (centipedes, mantids, bugs, spiders and ants). Because I find them absolutely fascinating and beautiful. They've even lead me into getting a new hobby. Photography.

I type this as a fact and in no way an over exaggeration. Tarantulas have had a positive and profound effect on my life.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're so unlike anything we're used to, and they're large enough to really grasp the amazing differences between the animals we're used to: Chordata, and a phylum we don't often see up close: Arthropoda. They come from all over the world, are easy to care for, and there's so much variety within the Theraphosidae family. They're quite beautiful as well. I dare you to find me a familiar dog, cat, or hamster that is iridescent blue and orange!
That right there.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon

They're kind of like spirit animals for me, if that makes any sense. I grew up in some rough neighbourhoods. I got involved with the definite wrong crowd early on. Qualities I learned from reading about snakes and tarantulas kept me alive. When I finally got permission from my mum to begin keeping, I used to sit and watch my first t and feel a state of calm. Same with snakes. So I began acquiring more and more.

Plus they're great for scaring away probation officers, unwanted relatives, overnight female friends who won't leave in the morning, and other unwanted guests.

Sidenote: I'd still love them even if they didn't get me through hard times. Watch a P.Irminia blast out and take out a superworm, and then tell me that it's not one of the most awesome things you've ever seen

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I think a combination of what others said is my reasoning. I have always loved animals in general but reptiles and arachnids have always held a special piece of my attention. I will just say that I love everything about my tarantulas. They are one of nature's most interesting creations.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I won't try to convince myself to have a deep, poetic reason for keeping them. Honest answer: I keep them because I like them. I think they're cool. Easy as that:)

Ridiculing someone for the things they enjoy is just rude. I don't surround myself with people who feel the need to do that simply because I don't fit their definition of "normal."

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas and spiders in general definitely have a strong effect on people. Whether it's disgust or fascination it's undeniable they capture our imaginations. I'd love to know why that is exactly but all I know for sure is that I definitely fall under the latter. Most of us here probably feel that way about all bugs but arachnids and tarantulas in particular seem to have that certain something that pulls us in.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I love animals in general but I always thought spiders were particularly fascinating, add that benefit to the ease of care, affordability and you have yourself the perfect display pet, also I do admittedly find a thrill in keeping them and knowing what they're capable of.

Susan Crushbone

Arachnopeon
I was actually looking for a second species of mantis since work keeps me insanely busy and I wanted another low-maintenance critter. I ended up getting a C. versicolor. I think nearly all tarantulas are gorgeous now and will be ordering Euathlus sp. (red), B. vagans and P. cambridgei slings this weekend. Oh yeah... and Salticidae memes made me think all spiders are adorable years ago. eKyZLxt.jpg

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
They're kind of like spirit animals for me, if that makes any sense. I grew up in some rough neighbourhoods. I got involved with the definite wrong crowd early on. Qualities I learned from reading about snakes and tarantulas kept me alive. When I finally got permission from my mum to begin keeping, I used to sit and watch my first t and feel a state of calm. Same with snakes. So I began acquiring more and more.

Plus they're great for scaring away probation officers, unwanted relatives, overnight female friends who won't leave in the morning, and other unwanted guests.

Sidenote: I'd still love them even if they didn't get me through hard times. Watch a P.Irminia blast out and take out a superworm, and then tell me that it's not one of the most awesome things you've ever seen
I wish mine kept away the unwanted relatives! I must be doing something wrong, my tarantulas are a bunch of slackers:shifty:

I second the calming effect