Why do you keep tarantulas?

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
I just really like spiders. I think they're gorgeous.
I like having something living to come home to, and I also like that I don't have to put much emotional effort into caring for it. Just the basics, no pressure. But I still get a lot of satisfaction from watching it hang out, or demolish crickets.
It's also a lot of fun for me to tell people about an unusual pet. Great conversation starter!

Thelema777

Arachnopeon
I find them completely fascinating and wanted to study them further in every way. Im even debating going to school to make a career of the study. Ignorance is the root of all fear, we just condition it further with irrational justification. People are just afraid to do anything, but sit in a house and stare at screens all day.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
P. metallica, H. pulchripes and the GBB, i saw those beautiful metallic colors and fell in love. I started with just one but now i cant stop thinking about the next one .
Its like pokemon for adults, gotta catch'em all lol. Although i'm definitely gonna keep the "my tarantula got out" line in my back pocket, can't think of a better way to clear the house.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I don't like them, but my girlfriend makes me keep them to keep the single ladies away.

Naa, I've always liked the different exotics. Tarantulas fascinate me. Their care is fairly straight forward. I can go on vacation and not worry about them. They don't stink. I could go on.

Bottom line, they are real life Pokeman and I must have them all.

Melanie

Arachnopeon
I'm just fascinated by them. I do wish they wanted my friendship, but just watching them do what they do, makes me really happy.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I was attracted to Ts by the ease of care. I find myself getting sent away for work more often and doing basic aquarium tasks have become difficult. The tarantulas are so simple in comparison. I have also always found them incredibly interesting.

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
Quite honestly it was ease of care mostly. Also I was in the market for a reptile and I kept seeing videos about tarantulas. As much as I wanted a bearded dragon, as I found out tarantulas easier to keep I wanted them instead. Took me a while to warm up to them as I had a fear of them.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Primal curiosity, that and the fact they are pre-historic, never needed to evolve for millions of years is something special.

Their eating response is a sight to behold, whether it's a B. hamorri or a O. violaceopes, it's just awesome behaviour and the happy dance after the prey is under control.

Also the way the groom themselves, cleaning is so important to them, example - my T's always leave their boluses in the same place all the time after feeding.

Colours are, well I don't need to say any more - but I will, when did you last see a blue dog, or a cat with purple, blue, and green coats, need I say any more.

Obviously everyone has their own reasons, these were some of mine, there are a lot more reasons, but I don't want to write a book, just yet. Maybe wait 20 years or so....LOL

keks

Arachnobaron
Because I have no real friends.
There is no need for real friends when you have tarantulas. Tarantulas are more honest.
Because I have no real friends.
Real Friends are overrated.

Obviously everyone has their own reasons, these were some of mine, there are a lot more reasons, but I don't want to write a book, just yet. Maybe wait 20 years or so....LOL
I hope, then I am still alive to read it ^^.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
We should keep our log books up to date and who knows - early days but we've all got to start somewhere....LOL
A new edition of TKG, when the authors are long gone, not that I would want that to happen, a great source of information, the only thing about the book is - it doesn't go into enough depth, although if it did it would be like an encyclopaedia, but that wouldn't be a bad thing, it seems Schultz & Schultz just touch on subjects then they're off onto another topic. Still a great book to own.