Why do you keep tarantulas?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I was actually looking for a second species of mantis since work keeps me insanely busy and I wanted another low-maintenance critter. I ended up getting a C. versicolor. I think nearly all tarantulas are gorgeous now and will be ordering Euathlus sp. (red), B. vagans and P. cambridgei slings this weekend. Oh yeah... and Salticidae memes made me think all spiders are adorable years ago. View attachment 243494
image.jpeg

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
This is my first tarantula. Usually more of a reptile guy . But my gbb has won me over .

I think what I love most is the creativity of the enclosures. And the Super easy care. And they are just fascinating creatures in general.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I like keeping Ts as I find them so fascinating to watch , they all have their own personalities, and unlike other pets they are easy to keep , don't cost to much to feed . I'm also finding its very relaxing, especially if I've had a stressful day . Only problem is other people just don't get it !

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are such fascinating creatures all around, I often lose sight of time when observing them, awe factor alone warrants keeping them to me, but there's more to it.

There's quite a sense of fulfillement when you raise a T, it's awesome to grow them up and watch them transform with each molt.

Even just the general feeding/maintenance involved in keeping them is fun. I also enjoy creating nice enclosures for my larger ones, and having to interact with them during a rehouse, it's always an exciting experience that I can learn from.

It's refreshing to know that things are going well with the Ts and progress is being made. Both rewarding and enjoyable, I look forward to spending time in the T room whenever I can. Only cons would be the hole it's burned in my pocket ;) but really it's sort of an investment(even though I don't want to sell any) as I mostly raise slings, and their value inflates as they grow.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Ease of care. My schedule can get kind of hectic and random, so tarantulas make the perfect pet. Heck, my veggie garden requires more effort.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the calming effect
It's nature! It's like stroking a cat or dog, or sitting under a leafy tree, or going on a ramble. (A walk, that is, not this what I'm doing now) It's forgetting people for a while and getting down to earth - or down to coco compost - only with enormous arachnids rather than the more usual outlets.

This is my first tarantula. Usually more of a reptile guy . But my gbb has won me over .

I think what I love most is the creativity of the enclosures. And the Super easy care. And they are just fascinating creatures in general.
I started with herps, way back when. Anoles, garter snakes, fire bellied toads, and one brilliant tiger salamander. :) I had to work myself up to my first Ts, but less required space - even compared to Thamnophis and Bombina - and less nutritional fretting helped with that decision. And it wasn't difficult to get hooked after that.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
They are such fascinating creatures all around, I often lose sight of time when observing them, awe factor alone warrants keeping them to me, but there's more to it.

There's quite a sense of fulfillement when you raise a T, it's awesome to grow them up and watch them transform with each molt.

Even just the general feeding/maintenance involved in keeping them is fun. I also enjoy creating nice enclosures for my larger ones, and having to interact with them during a rehouse, it's always an exciting experience that I can learn from.

It's refreshing to know that things are going well with the Ts and progress is being made. Both rewarding and enjoyable, I look forward to spending time in the T room whenever I can. Only cons would be the hole it's burned in my pocket ;) but really it's sort of an investment(even though I don't want to sell any) as I mostly raise slings, and their value inflates as they grow.
I was like a big kid this weekend when the first T in my care moulted , I was showing my husband and son , and sent a pic to my daughter.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
So why do you keep tarantulas? What fuels your attraction for big hairy spiders?
I'm in for the thrill.
My G. pulchra sling that just learned how to threat-pose recently is just waiting to kill me in my sleep, which gives me the kick I need to get the max out of every day.

I know.
I'm a daredevil.

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
I started with herps, way back when. Anoles, garter snakes, fire bellied toads, and one brilliant tiger salamander. :) I had to work myself up to my first Ts, but less required space - even compared to Thamnophis and Bombina - and less nutritional fretting helped with that decision. And it wasn't difficult to get hooked after that.
Yep . I am already looking at what T is next. They don't really take up any space . Like say the 20 gl long for my hognose.

And for some reason, I always get a kick out telling people about my pet T. Lol

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Yep . I am already looking at what T is next. They don't really take up any space . Like say the 20 gl long for my hognose.

And for some reason, I always get a kick out telling people about my pet T. Lol
And at least they won't be fussy about their food as much as your Hognose , as in having to feed them tuna or salmon

spacemonkeyjon

Arachnopeon
And at least they won't be fussy about their food as much as your Hognose , as in having to feed them tuna or salmon
very true . She is pretty good most of the time . But there are days . Lol.

And no under tank heating to worry about.:D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find putting animals with 8 legs on a treadmill to generate electricity quite useful.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I wish mine kept away the unwanted relatives! I must be doing something wrong, my tarantulas are a bunch of slackers:shifty:

I second the calming effect
I normally tell them that one of the more reclusive species has escaped. Since they can't and won't search to prove otherwise, they all just leave