Why do you handle your scorpion?

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i own exclusively toxic specimens these days, so no handling. The one emp i have left, i have never handled, nor did i handle its predecessors.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never use my tweezers to lift the scorpions from their metasoma's. I like to prod them into a small container, like filmrolllcanister or a small glass jar. This method stresses them the least in my opinion.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, same reason here :). Some people use their fingers to grab the scorpion by the tail, and risk to get stung...

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I handle scorps for a couple of reasons.

First I do it so that I can do it. In other words, I want to be able to if the need arises and the only way to be sure that you can handle them is to actually do it. I hunt during the summer and by hand is pretty much the only way I can do it sometimes. (I usually try to run them into a cup but sometimes I'm holding up a log or something and the cup gets away from me... stuff like that)

Secondly, as several people here have already stated I do it for photos. I've had to move them around for various reasons and handling is sometimes unavoidable.

I try to know how to handle everything I have just in case, so I've had to handle everything I have. That's pretty much the only way to know if you can do it. I handle hots just as much as nots and so far, no incidents, although I know that it's only a matter of time.

I started with snakes years ago and over the years I've handled everything from cobras to gaboon vipers, to rattlesnakes, to temple vipers, to just about everything in between. I've never been bitten by a hot although I've had a few close calls.

I live in Alabama and I don't condone handling for the newbies. I also do all of my handling in my own home and I do not show off for others (considering my choice of pets, I rarely get visitors!). I don't try to sugarcoat the toxicity of these animals by showing people how docile they are, even when they are completely docile. I don't really like the feeling of having them on me so I don't usually let them run around on me, and I really don't scrutinize them while I have them "contained" unless there is a problem. I also don't handle them all the time. Just occasionally so that I don't lose "the touch". It ain't like riding a bicycle.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im also guilty in handling my scorps, ive already handled the ff.

I.maculatus
H.spinifer/longimanus marmoratus/petersii(?)
L.waigiensis
P.imperator
H.paucidens
C.vittatus/hentzi

the rest are no no.

i never handled L.australasiae, because im afraid to squish it between my fingers.{D
Yeah I've handled C. vittatus too...it just didn't end up very nicely on my end {D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
$h*t! Your a risk taker! I would probably handle H.paucidens and H.spinifer, if I could get the chance, but I don't know about the other ones. ( I say that because I don't know what the other ones are :D )
Yeah I've handled C. vittatus too...it just didn't end up very nicely on my end {D

whoa... i must be lucky then!!! :eek:

@Zman16
i think im already used to I.mac's sting;)

@LeilaNami
it just crawled to my fingers then i just let it walk from my hand to other, my hand was wet in persperation by that time so vittatus might be thinking that she's walking on her waterdish :p
(good thing she didnt try to have a drink)

:D

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I handle some of my scorpions purely for entertaining or amusing myself, as bad as it sounds its the truth, although I would never want to harm any of them, I see no harm in handling them as long as it is in a responsible and respectful manner...

SmileOfTorment

Arachnopeon
I would never handle any of my scorpions, although, when I'm looking at them, I can't help but wonder how it would feel like when they're walking around on your hand or something. I would like to experience how they feel like etc. (alive!), but I don't see myself ever picking one up with my bare hands. Even with my Heterometrus species, I always use tools. I use transfer boxes when cleaning etc, the lids of which I also close with large tweezers. So I'm never anywhere near my scorpions with my hands. I kind of regret that, but I figure they all deserve this kind of respect.

I live in the Netherlands, so outdoor scorpion hunting is pretty much out of the question.

Dennis

For the record, since this is my first post here (but I've been lurking a while), I have less than a year experience with scorpion keeping. I only had experience working with a variety of reptiles before. My first scorpion was a Heterometrus species, which I've got since the summer of last year. A few months ago I also got five Babycurus jacksoni. I'm hoping to expand my collection next sunday, but I'm still going to stay away from anything hotter than Babycurus for a while.

Dr. Octopus

Arachnopeon
I see scorpions the same way i see pet fish- they are great pets to own and observe, but picking them up and cuddling them is fairly pointless, and that may injure the pet...

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see scorpions the same way i see pet fish- they are great pets to own and observe, but picking them up and cuddling them is fairly pointless, and that may injure the pet...
...or youself! Depending on the species.

I handle some of my scorpions purely for entertaining or amusing myself, as bad as it sounds its the truth, although I would never want to harm any of them, I see no harm in handling them as long as it is in a responsible and respectful manner...
Thats a pretty brave thing to say. I am on both sides of this argument. I like handling scorps, but at the same time I don't like to handle them because it stresses them out... Someday they'll probably make a domestic scorpion.... That would be cool...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a pretty brave thing to say. I am on both sides of this argument. I like handling scorps, but at the same time I don't like to handle them because it stresses them out...
When you have something common to your area it's only a matter of time before your going to come into contact with it. More inquisitive than brave... Jasons been around scorps since he was 7 or so I belive. All depends on your comfort around them.
Someday they'll probably make a domestic scorpion.... That would be cool...
No, definently not.... consider what you just said. {D

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...or youself! Depending on the species.

Thats a pretty brave thing to say. I am on both sides of this argument. I like handling scorps, but at the same time I don't like to handle them because it stresses them out... Someday they'll probably make a domestic scorpion.... That would be cool...
well, when I was younger this was how I caught most of the scorpions that I had, just picked them up, I dont really go out of my way to handle my specimens now that I dont have to, but when I'm showing someone my scorpions it seems to put them at ease when they see me handling them and realize that scorpions are not just evil little things that sting on a whim, and also in when I go out field collecting, sometimes you just gotta pick them up or else you might not get what you want...and about the stress thing, I've never really bought into that whole thing, I doubt the scorpion remembers when the last time it was handled or that it was even hanled half an hour ago...

Xie

Arachnopeon
I think they tickle.

I've been a member of the board for some time now, however I just got my first scorp today. At first I was just as timid about handling him as he was (or at least I'm assuming so). But after about two hours of observing him and his reactions to various movements, I got up the courage to place my hand in his enclosure. After he paused for a moment he slowly crawled onto my hand. Now I'm normally really creeped out by any insect but the amusement and facination just grew. I let him crawl over my hands for a few moments then slowly set my hand back down in his enclosure and he just as casually walked off again. No jumpyness or agression was shown. As long as I didn't move too suddenly he was seeming perfectly comfortable with my hand there. It was an awsome feeling. It's an Emp. Full grown or close to it. Hes docile, just jumpy. I don't intend to handle him too often. Just to show hes not evil, and to take a few pics. And probibly every now and then just due to my facination with him. But everything will be on his terms not mine. I wont ever pick him up by his tail or with tweezers I think that would be mean. I rather he just walks onto me. As far as getting stung, if it happens so be it. I'd prolly deserve it for doing something stupid.:D

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have handled my emperors and flat rocks. My red claw though, no way! lol.

I do educational shows for schools with reptiles and inverts, and I dont usually handle the scorpions but I do sometimes as others have already stated, to show that they arent evil creatures out to get you.

I of course dont hand them off to anyone, and I handle them over there enclosure so if they fall they at least land in their bedding and not onto a hard floor or even worse, onto a lawn where they can run and hide.

As far as tarantulas go, I have handled most of my adults, but I dont make a habit of it. My Chaco Gold Knee is very docile though, and she is the one I use for educational shows as well. I dont let other people handle her, but I do take her out so people can get a closer look.

Never kept centipedes, but if I did I highly doubt I woudl handle them, lol.

By the way, anyone ever see the guy on kingsnake's classifieds that takes pics of death stalkers, fat tails, etc crawling on his hands (good way to show potential buyers what to do, right)? That vegas reptile place.