Why do you handle your scorpion?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
but see MY P. cavimanus is big baby {D He lets me pick him up as long as I go under the substrate at first so he doesn't feel cornered.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I make it a rule to never try and handle any of my inverts. They do not enjoy it, and at best they allow human contact. I have had some tarantulas that have run out of the container and onto my hand, but they are moved right back or into their new home. Scorpions are a little easier, they can't run up the side and onto me. Some people handle to get a good picture and we all enjoy that, and they usually understand the danger to them and to the invert. I had a friend come over to my place one time and want to handle one of my tarantulas so I stuck a chopstick in front of her. I then told him to watch the 2 fangs stroking the chopstick. He figured that having half inch fangs dug into his skin repeatedly was a bad thing. Most are happy just to watch me feed or just observe them from behind the glass. I usually tell anyone that they are like fish, you don't reach in and handle them. Ok I do pretend that I am going to take one out just to freak her out but I don't actually do it. She calls me from her cell from down the street to ask if it is all clear to come back.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've handled a few P. cavimanus and Heterometrus out of curiousity, but only a few times. I find it to be a hassle that isn't worth the risk to the scorp.

My big problem is I've started working in enclosures with my bare hands. This is just asking for trouble eventually. So far I've been lucky, but now that I have a few buthids working at breaking the habit.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I must admit I wanted to handle my emperors too. Only, fortunate me, I had a very big male, not so docile as in all these books;) , did not tolerate it and was agressive. That means unnecessary stress for the animal, no thank you:D The other one was a pregnant female, also such a shiny, happy scorpion. :D I handled them once in a zoo in spain also. They clinged to my shirt, probably to absorb the heat.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Again I hold him to show people they aren't monsters.
Ditto. The number one question people ask me when I have a big ol' scorp in my hand is, "why isn't it stinging / pinching / biting you?"

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol :D
I don't think any scorpions are monsters. :rolleyes:
I used to handle my P. Imp alot but now I try not to. Again I hold him to show people they aren't monsters.
I just call my P cav. a Monster since it is the only one I own that cannibalized its tank mate.:p

When I buy a new scorp from the pet store I'll hand pick the scorpions out to show the store employees that they are not to be feared, just respected. Even the shop owners are afraid to touch them. Morbid fear is wrong to possess. A healthy fear, in other words respect, is a must to possess. When you stop respecting you become foolish in your handling.

Thaedion

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had the eurge to handle my emps alot but i don't think i will bother, i'm more than happy just watching them crawl around, eat etc.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have noticed there are many of you who photograph scorpions sitting on your hand or arm, which demonstrates that you (obviously) handle them, albeit ocassionally.
I do, like you wrote, occasionally. And only when I "know" the species, and I prefer to do it out in the open where there is more space. Mostly handled: Centruroides gracilis, Centruroides flavopictus flavopictus, several Vaejovids and Diplocentrus species. The latter try to pinch at every movement :)

I handle them mostly (which is rarely) to take a better photo, not for showing off. (I never handle scorpions with others around me except my partner, who also has handled several not hot species.).

It would be interesting to have your comments if you also hangle tarantulas or centipedes.
Tarantulas, yes. Again, mostly outside. Centipedes, yes, only small ones (2-3").

Could you explain why you do this?
Because I can :). Which means that I often have quite some experience with the species but am also very aware that I can get stung / bitten.

What motivates the action?
No idea. Certainly not showing off.

What kind of feelings do you have about doing it, or seeing someone do it?
Mixed (cool and let's be careful)

As a point of information I would like to know where you live (country, state, etc.).
Mexico, Veracruz, Xalapa.

Side note: I never handle scorpions with tweezers. I prefer plastic cups and brushes and taking my time.

Uncle Manny

Arachnopeon
Keep up the feedback

Your response has been great, and your comments are very gratifying. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at tone and candidness many of you have related. I think its obvious that you have an astounding amount of respect for a scorpion's potential envenomation.

Let's keep it going, there are hundreds more that could and should respond.

I think we're all benefiting from this.

Uncle Manny

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another reason I handle: I was weighing one the other day on my kitchen table. Well, it sort of wasnt too impressed about sitting on the scales long enough for an accurate reading to be had, and so it kept taking off. When it ran straight for the edge of the table I would put my hand out and allow it to run straight onto my hand. No way I was letting it fall onto the floor. This happened a few times before it settled enough for an accurate measurement. I'm measuring to .001g, so there must be no vibration/movement/air currents etc. The scales dont go high enough for a proper holding container to be included, so I use a thin light paper cup, but the scorp easily climbs out. Such is the difficulty with active scorpions. Never even looked like stinging me, they dont sting in my experience unless held down etc.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The number one question people ask me when I have a big ol' scorp in my hand is, "why isn't it stinging / pinching / biting you?"
lol

The number one question people ask me is " Did you get the venom taken out?" I respond saying "No thats not possible." Then everyone always asks "What happens if you get bit?" Then I always say " I will say oww and thats it."

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
isn't it funny how people say "What happens if you get bit?" not "what happens if you get stung/pinched":?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im also guilty in handling my scorps, ive already handled the ff.

I.maculatus
H.spinifer/longimanus marmoratus/petersii(?)
L.waigiensis
P.imperator
H.paucidens
C.vittatus/hentzi

the rest are no no.

i never handled L.australasiae, because im afraid to squish it between my fingers.{D

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one new note ... no matter what Ruud says on tv and no matter what you all think .... scorpions and other creatures will attack the ground they are walking on. I traded off one of my 3i jacksonis at the pet store to get another big emp for my fiance since hers passed. i opened up the deli cup to show him the trade and it shot to the back of my hand, up my arm a bit and then stung without me even flinching before hand. I didnt tense up as im quite used to the occasional escape since I deal with so many tiny Ts and scorps. the pain went away in 30 minutes but the feeling of stupidity didnt. before last week i was a believer in the knowledge that they wouldnt attack the ground. maybe it was an accident but it happened period. your hand has a lot more muscle movement possibilities that can cause a strike then the back of my calm arm ever will.

am i nervous now when dealing with my scorps? no. i know the chance is there that it will happen again. nervous people shouldnt be dealing with them in my opinion as thats what leads to mistakes. i made enough mistakes from being nervous years ago when started with scorpions. what rattles my cage is having to deal with my 10 foot burm rescue when he obviously is telling me to get lost. thinking about the force behind a 75 pound muscle with teeth slamming into me gets me a little on the tense side.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
isn't it funny how people say "What happens if you get bit?" not "what happens if you get stung/pinched"
Most people I show exotic arthropods to don't know a scorpion from a scale insect. I also wind up explaining the difference between "poisonous" and "venomous" a lot.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
isn't it funny how people say "What happens if you get bit?" not "what happens if you get stung/pinched":?
Well they I think they mean get stung.

im also guilty in handling my scorps, ive already handled the ff.

I.maculatus
H.spinifer/longimanus marmoratus/petersii(?)
L.waigiensis
P.imperator
H.paucidens
C.vittatus/hentzi

the rest are no no.

i never handled L.australasiae, because im afraid to squish it between my fingers.{D
$h*t! Your a risk taker! I would probably handle H.paucidens and H.spinifer, if I could get the chance, but I don't know about the other ones. ( I say that because I don't know what the other ones are :D )

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have handled two species of scorpion that I keep. They are Uroctonus mordax, and Pandinus imperator. The first time I held my U.mordax was by accident, it was on a piece of bark I had taken out of the tank during cleaning. Well it ran on my hand, so I let it sit there and I got to take a good look at it. When I've handled my emps I just let them crawl onto my hand while they were roaming around thier tank. I try not to pick up the scorpions, but to just let them crawl onto me. Though I must admit to picking up a U.mordax a few times. I guess the reason I handle them is to get a good look at them and out of pure fascination.

I live in Kansas in the US.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"it was on a piece of bark"

Uh Oh, I know what you mean. I once almost grabbed a C. flavopictus flavopictus that way. I was lucky that the ones I keep seem to prefer to move out of the way or sit and see what happens instead of stinging me :)

Since they walk around in the house by themselves now and then, we are careful in the house as well (especially with towels, found 2 so far in them)