Why do Ts web when handled?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I notice sometimes when tarantulas are held they start webbing. Why is this?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Its not unique to them being held, They'll leave a web trail in they're enclosure as-well, I've noticed it particularly when you set them up in a new environment. Perhaps it aids as a territorial scent marker since your extracting them from they're familiar environment. I can't force you on how you keep your T but personally I'd keep handling to a very minimal to not at all.

Last edited:

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It could just be a way for them to keep track of where they've been and let other tarantulas know where they've been--sort of like rodents and how they drip small amounts of urine every now and then as they walk to leave a scent trail.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe it has multiple functions. A map of sorts, a sensory network - the webbing serves basically as a net of tripwires - tarantulas' main sensory input is the vibration sense provided by setae, and through the webbing they can locate any 'trespassers'. Establishing that in unknown premises may be crucial in their natural environment. And finally, it can serve as an anchor of sorts to prevent falling off.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe it has multiple functions. A map of sorts, a sensory network - the webbing serves basically as a net of tripwires - tarantulas' main sensory input is the vibration sense provided by setae, and through the webbing they can locate any 'trespassers'. Establishing that in unknown premises may be crucial in their natural environment. And finally, it can serve as an anchor of sorts to prevent falling off.
@Hydrazine WOW man, where have you been?? I haven't seen you in a few years it seems at least! Miss those funny posts with T pictures you always used to do!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's called a dragline. Almost all spiders do it. Small spiders can hang by it if needed. It's a guideline to get them back to where they came from, and the more they walk around their retreat and the area outside of it, the more familiar it will feel. With their limited eyesight, touch is very important.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
As others have said, they do that pretty much everywhere they go. You may not always see it in an enclosure but its there, just very thin.