Why Do True Spiders Sell poorly?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
This is my question. I love true spiders more than T's, and I love jumpers but there are more true spiders that I see potential in for wonderful keeping/pets than just them. So why do they sell so poorly? Is the the short life span? Is it that they aren't usually bred in captivity? What is it?

So few true spiders are sold successfully, unless they are poisonous to at least being medically dangerous, or are jumpers? I have lots of species that right now I can release safely if needed. But I will be getting some imports in to work with eventually. And I worry about not being able to move them out when they breed because they aren't originally a native species here?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd say it's mostly the short lifespan. I love true spiders - but most of the ones I keep are those that I can catch locally. I don't really want to shell out a lot of money to purchase an exotic spider, only to have it die in under a year. When I have purchased true spiders, it's usually at a show. At least then I don't have to pay shipping - which is where buying spiders can get really expensive otherwise.

Another factor is the smaller size - at least for some people. A big, hairy tarantula makes for an impressive display, while a tiny orb weaver or jumper can be hard to even find. I keep bugs and spiders to show the students in my summer school class. Last summer I was really excited to find a little Cyclosa turbinata while I was out hiking. I was able to collect her, web and all, by breaking off the branch she'd made her home in, so the kids could see the distinctive "trash line" in her web. It was a challenge to get the web back to the classroom intact and install her branch in a large pop-up mesh cage, but I managed - and then the kids didn't even care. Because she was so small, they barely glanced at her, preferring the big, showy spiders. Even the larger true spiders - like wolf spiders or fishing spiders - don't get nearly as much attention as the tarantulas.

As far as having surplus spiderlings is concerned, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it is a native species, you can release the offspring. If it is an exotic, you can try to sell them - but if they don't sell, just leave them in together and eventually they'll canibalize each other and get the numbers down to manageable levels. Sure, it sounds brutal on the surface - but they're going to have to kill and eat something to survive, so it might as well be surpus baby spiders as crickets or fruit flies.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have a semi communal species that don't cannibalize each other easily until they hit juvenile age. And I am not sure what is considered expensive for trues? I would assume buying them in captivity would mean they would have a majorly longer life span than the sub-adult to mature spiders you find in the wild... but idk. The non-native species I am getting are pretty massive. But they only live 1.5 years on average. I just find trues more interesting I guess. I have jumpers, and one specie of T I plan to work with when my become mature in a few years. But I guess I just wanted to expand more. And I have no desire to work with medically dangerous spiders. I have millipedes I plan to work with, I know they sell generally well.... but my feeders seem to be the type to sell best and except maybe the Ladybirds I want to get eventually

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I love spiders besides tarantulas but many have qualities that, for me at least, make them less desirable as pets:
1) Lifespan: Many species have a short lifespan and thus far, I have found it MUCH more difficult to raise spiderlings other than T’s and I’m stumped as to why they’ve done poorly for me. :(
2) Husbandry: Besides the difficulty with spiderlings mentioned above, many spiders have requirements that would make them difficult to keep. I believe orb weavers would need a LOT of space relative to their small size.
3) Visibility: Properly housed, many spiders would be difficult to see or may very rarely be seen (obviously also true of many tarantula species). I think the local trapdoor spiders (not “true” spiders, I know) look really neat but I believe the only time they are seen are mature males in search of mates.
4) Handleability: Yes, one should only rarely or not at all handle most T’s but the relative calm of some Aphonopelma and Brachypelma species and especially Euathlus sp. “red” or “yellow” are part of their appeal for me. I’ve heard of jumpers interacting with people but I think most are way too skittish to even consider handling.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Lifespan (apart from some) being the biggest issue followed by their size would be my guess.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Aside for what stated above by basin79 (100% true) I think enters also a mix of other factors.

They do not possess the "aesthetic impact" that T's has. I know, I know... seems absurd to say (just viewing spiders like H.davidbowie etc) but keep in mind the 'average man' point of view, not ours.

Rarely they have "size", unlike T's (again, for the average POV) plus they 'lacks' the kinda 'legends' written all over T's from decades of crappy movies, 'horror' stories, garbage "documentaries" etc.

Last edited:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Jumpers are skittish in the beginning but learn extremely quickly, so do most terrestrial true spiders except as far as husbandry, their husbandry I wouldn't say is anymore diffcult, even as spiderlings, just different. They require different things and have less of a general species things that can be tweaked for individuals like most T's do. I rely on what conditions they are found in and mimic it, I do this with my T's as well... even though everyone tells me I overthink it then. As far as the visibility thing I agree with some species yes. But it depends on your webber or terrestrial species and what they need. I house mine correctly and give them often more than what they need as long as it isn't detrimental.

I think the thing with True spiders compared to T's is that they have a much faster metabolism and most need more water, and must be misted. After that it depends on what the hunting is like for the species. I haven't lost any of my Badumna sp. But that's because the mothers take care of them for weeks on end. And I don't remove them right away.

I see the most issue that isn't either not understanding or choosing the specifically wrong True spider for what they want, is the lifespan of the majority of the species. I am uncertain if people don't give their clients enough of a specialized care sheet or not?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
@Widow lover Are yours considered medically significant if you get bit? At least the ones you move easily? That's what I am trying to figure out XD I mean the most medically significant species is my Badumna Longinqua which if they bite you (can't ever imagine my girls doing it) you get flu symptoms for like 24 hours. Otherwise it's itchies and dwellings. The first time ever one of my g.pulchra escaped during a feeding last night. Never seen Necco run that fast lol. And it was the one night my catch cup wasn't really really close. He's safe and back inside but I learned multiple lessons that night. No biting even though he ran along me for a few minutes.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Jumpers are skittish in the beginning but learn extremely quickly, so do most terrestrial true spiders except as far as husbandry, their husbandry I wouldn't say is anymore diffcult, even as spiderlings, just different. They require different things and have less of a general species things that can be tweaked for individuals like most T's do. I rely on what conditions they are found in and mimic it, I do this with my T's as well... even though everyone tells me I overthink it then. As far as the visibility thing I agree with some species yes. But it depends on your webber or terrestrial species and what they need. I house mine correctly and give them often more than what they need as long as it isn't detrimental.

I think the thing with True spiders compared to T's is that they have a much faster metabolism and most need more water, and must be misted. After that it depends on what the hunting is like for the species. I haven't lost any of my Badumna sp. But that's because the mothers take care of them for weeks on end. And I don't remove them right away.

I see the most issue that isn't either not understanding or choosing the specifically wrong True spider for what they want, is the lifespan of the majority of the species. I am uncertain if people don't give their clients enough of a specialized care sheet or not?
Well, those were mostly guesses on my part, as to why people want what they do. @Chris LXXIX makes good points too and I suspect those reasons are why the most popular “true” spiders are the infamously venomous widow spiders.

@Andee when you saying that your spiders learn not to be skittish or do I misunderstand? This has not been my experience with my wolf spiders, but I have not tried to get them used to me much less handle them.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The jumpers for sure have. I currently do not have wolfs, but my Kulkucania species settled really quickly. My Budumna species would likely be handlable if I worked with them a smidge more. I feed my spiders a lot (not obsessively so) but I don't believe a hungry spider is good. I feed my true spiders (depending on the species) 2+ times a week. I have learned this makes all my arachnids less nervous and skittish. I gauge it upon the species and sometimes individual spider though.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I wish my WC jumpers would get use to being handled, it hasn't happened for me. The captive bred ones I have just chill and look at me when I handle them while the WC bolt and jump out of my hands. Also, a tip on handling wolf spiders, you can do it outside in the colder weather. This slows them down enough where you can pinch grab them and put them on your hand.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What wc jumper species you have? I usually have to have a table and have things blocked a bit so they can't easily escape so I can just move my hand and herd them back in. But with jumpers they have to get used to us. Work slowly and at their pace and most importantly let them come to you. Don't make them sit on your hand until they are ready. Hold out you finger encouraging touch but let them choose when to. And never do more than 5-10 minute sessions until they come out chill.

Widow lover

Arachnoknight
@Widow lover Are yours considered medically significant if you get bit? At least the ones you move easily? That's what I am trying to figure out XD I mean the most medically significant species is my Badumna Longinqua which if they bite you (can't ever imagine my girls doing it) you get flu symptoms for like 24 hours. Otherwise it's itchies and dwellings. The first time ever one of my g.pulchra escaped during a feeding last night. Never seen Necco run that fast lol. And it was the one night my catch cup wasn't really really close. He's safe and back inside but I learned multiple lessons that night. No biting even though he ran along me for a few minutes.

No, it just depends on what your selling, if you are trying to sell things you found in your backyard, or any common true spider, then ya, it's not gunna fly off the shelf.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
It's often a range issue, not considering how people assume trues only live for a year.

For example, P. audax and P. johnsoni have immense ranges, the latter can be extremely abundant throughout most of the western states, and will only be desired by people in eastern states that never see that species, while audax is pretty much everywhere in the USA.

H. carolinensis is desirable in states they do not occur in, like the west coast states, but throughout the great plains and southeast they're pretty common, therefore less desirable. Olios giganteus is an example of a very popular true spider, because they're restricted to the southwest, not found east of texas.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
@Widow lover who are your best sellers that you get regularly?

I will have some exotic huntsman spiders soon and likely some exotic jumpers, so we will see where that goes. The thing with them is I don't know if I will get even similar species let alone pairs. I hope to be able to breed some of these species.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
To add to this thread (even though it's a couple years old) I would say that I was not much interested in keeping true spiders until recently. Even now there are only certain species I prefer to keep. The more "predictable" ones if you will.
Latrodectus spp. for example will build their web and then stay there. Unlike wandering spiders and even Tarantulas, I am not overly concerned with leaving the lid propped up for a minute or two while cleaning the tank since I know they will just stay where they are.
That being said, never allow yourself to become "complacent"

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
In Australia there is a bigger market for non-tarantula Mygalomorphs than tarantulas, and true spiders are below both. However, a couple are extremely sought after such as Hoggicosa bicolor and almost any Maratus sp.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Everyone wants a big fluffy spider, not many people want a 2” black spider that stays in a little tunnel their whole lives...Also tarantulas get more appeal through media. Likewise you always see people on insta or tiktok with orchids or devils flowers or ghosts, and those 3 are some of the most popular species out there