Why do they do this?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen a lot of feeding videos online of different Tarantulas catching their prey and feeding. Once they catch their prey, they usually do that neat dance and spin silk. Sometimes it's in a circle, and the mat ends up under them, or sometimes they dance back and forth. Why do they do this? Is there really any reason? Is it a sign of happiness from the food, like a happy dance?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it's called a happy dance but the tarantulas don't experience emotion so they aren't happy, per se

i personally think it helps to retain fluids during external digestion. in the wild it might help keep ants away or something, too

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Think of it as a way for them to "pack their lunch". In the wild I imagine if they wrap up an insect that they catch, it should keep it "fresh" so when they want to eat later, they have it. I have a lot of T's who do that, some all of the time, some once in a while, and some very seldom.
My new little T. apophysis does it every time. But she catches the cricket, and then carries it to her hide, then she does what we call The Dance of Joy, or The Cricket Dance of Joy.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I call it the 'Funky Dance' and my B. smithi G. rosea T. blondi all do it.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's not just a dance. I have a super-sensitive microphone and I've recorded a happy song as well. Now all I have to do is translate it. Anyone here speak Arachnid? (LOL) And, yes they can sing with their mouth full!!!{D {D {D {D {D

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
does anyone think they might be pushing out silk to make room for their food?
i've only noticed my really chubby girls pushing out silk.
i know i'm way off. but i wanted to give some food for thought.
later
tom

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think its very funny as they dance around with there furry bums in the air lol or is it just me :D :8o :8o :8o :8o ------ phil

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the food is liquified, they need to contain it in order for consuming.