Why Do They Do This

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Thanks! When I’ve seen them, they are always had webs that look like shattered glass with no pattern, very chaotic looking. I’ll read it!
I think shattered glass is the best description I've heard for how their webs look.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
I swear sometimes they do things deliberately to mess with us.

This one has decided to wrap up the meal worm so profusely that I am not able to get it out without completely destroying the Web. Fortunately, it has been drained so there is no risk of it rotting or becoming disgusting. However, it looks terrible and for some reason the spider has not as of yet removed it from the Web.

View attachment 393544 View attachment 393545 View attachment 393546 View attachment 393547

Darkness975,

Use some tongs and scissors to cut it out, she'll end up webbing the area up again.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Use some tongs and scissors to cut it out, she'll end up webbing the area up again.
Doesn't sound like a hobby I'd take up. Got to be one very sharp quality scissors. A surgical scalpel has a hard time cutting those fibers and puts a lot of strain on it before it saws it's way though. Don't expect clean trimming like a hedge.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Jumper For a start, a preferred go to. But consider how difficult it is for quality wire cutters to chop a single strand of alloy high tensile spring steel wire. Widow web is stronger than Kevlar which is exponentially tougher than steel. The operation would be good training for microsurgery students.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
The Snark,
I hear you was only offering a solution for the OP to get the mealworm out of the widow's web.

-Jumper

The Grim Keeper

Arachnopeon
No way of knowing. No way of knowing what research they have done. Very tight lipped company reputed to have had numerous secret contracts with the US Gov.
I know this post is super old, but if you are still around and interested - I believe that rifle scope crosshairs were made from widow silk.