Why Do They Do This

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I swear sometimes they do things deliberately to mess with us.

This one has decided to wrap up the meal worm so profusely that I am not able to get it out without completely destroying the Web. Fortunately, it has been drained so there is no risk of it rotting or becoming disgusting. However, it looks terrible and for some reason the spider has not as of yet removed it from the Web.

20210729_230002.jpg 20210729_230037.jpg 20210729_230045.jpg 20210729_230029.jpg

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I swear sometimes they do things deliberately to mess with us.

This one has decided to wrap up the meal worm so profusely that I am not able to get it out without completely destroying the Web. Fortunately, it has been drained so there is no risk of it rotting or becoming disgusting. However, it looks terrible and for some reason the spider has not as of yet removed it from the Web.

View attachment 393544 View attachment 393545 View attachment 393546 View attachment 393547
If you do manage to remove it without damaging too much of the web, it will probably do the same to the next one. As you say, it's done to cheer your day up !!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Its also the only one of the bunch that keeps attaching webbing to the lid of the container.

That’s the most organized web I’ve seen for that species.
They're all similar in these containers probably because of the shape.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They don't look like much at first, but there's a good bit of organization in widow webs. The attached paper has a good explanation of typical widow architecture.
Oh yes. All cobweb weavers are like that. What the average person views as chaos is actually an immensely complicated structure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They don't look like much at first, but there's a good bit of organization in widow webs. The attached paper has a good explanation of typical widow architecture.
My Steatoda triangulosa also create similar webs. Some of them are even more aggressive feeders than my Latrodectus if you can believe that.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Bushnell optics has by all accounts a very extensive study of widow webbing which they used or use in their instruments. Unfortunately it's entirely proprietary.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
My Steatoda triangulosa also create similar webs. Some of them are even more aggressive feeders than my Latrodectus if you can believe that.
I definitely believe it. I've only kept one Steatoda, but it was more aggressive than most Latrodectus I've had. Black widows are pretty timid spiders, even relative to other Latrodectus species.

Since you seem to be interested in web architecture, here's a much longer, but still interesting, paper on Theridiid webs.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._spiders_Araneae_Theridiidae_Chaos_from_order

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! When I’ve seen them, they are always had webs that look like shattered glass with no pattern, very chaotic looking. I’ll read it!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! When I’ve seen them, they are always had webs that look like shattered glass with no pattern, very chaotic looking. I’ll read it!
When I was younger I thought the same. I think many do. But as I started really looking into it then I started learning about the patterns.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I definitely believe it. I've only kept one Steatoda, but it was more aggressive than most Latrodectus I've had. Black widows are pretty timid spiders, even relative to other Latrodectus species.

Since you seem to be interested in web architecture, here's a much longer, but still interesting, paper on Theridiid webs.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._spiders_Araneae_Theridiidae_Chaos_from_order
That is true they are more timid in general. But it seems that captivity often makes them even more so.