Why do some T's make 'anthills' above there retreat?

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've noticed this mainly with P.vorax and P.muticus

They dig out substrate and create a hollow 'anthill' type structure above the entrance to there hide, I'm curious to what purpose it serves :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah probably for ambush better the prey, those buggers loves to burrow and act reclusive at the end :)

My female 'OBT' is always in her burrow under the cork bark. Molt after molt she went more reclusive and even less high strung than my female C.marshalli btw :-s

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
I would say to further obscure their lair; if a threat were to find them in their burrow that'd be the end but hiding themselves to some extent is a tactic many small predators use. I'd also agree with the notion that it would be to aid in the stalking of prey. The photos you have look like they might be intended to be air holes though.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My A.ezendami went all out with the decorations for her burrow entrances. She has two entrances and a big mound.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Makes sense, same way be build our doorways a few inches above ground level :p

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My H. pulchripes sling has build up a huge "ant hill". It actually reaches all the way to the lid of the deli cup...I have to be extra careful to know where she/he is when I go to feed. The thing looks like a freakin' volcano or something.

serenity1.jpg

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
My H. pulchripes sling has build up a huge "ant hill". It actually reaches all the way to the lid of the deli cup...I have to be extra careful to know where she/he is when I go to feed. The thing looks like a freakin' volcano or something.

View attachment 218054
Omg that's exactly how my 2 B. vagan slings are! I just got them a few days ago and just recently gave them deeper condiment containers so they could dig more. So interesting to see what they've done the next morning ^_^

Bread

Arachnopeon
The anthill is getting bigger and straight down to the bottom but not blocked off.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
All three of my I. mira have tall anthills. So does my albostriatum.