Why do crickets die so easily?

olll

Arachnosquire
For me, 1 or 2 crickets die every day. Why is that?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Crickets, kept right don't die suddenly unless they're old adults. If you're keeping them in the tiny tubs they come in that's the problem.

Large tub with egg cartons. Fresh fruit/veg and fish flakes or dog/cat biscuits for protein.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crickets are annoying and die quickly. I have switched to Superworms. Expecting 100 count today.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Crickets have a lifespan just like everything else. If you buy them as adults they will all be dead within a week or two. If you get them young they will live much longer with proper care. (Kind of a repeat of what basin79 said, but seriously crickets are not hard to keep alive).

olll

Arachnosquire
I guess I will just get baby crickets. I do give them a lot of space and hides, feed them regularly.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you’re buying them in bulk I would highly suggest getting more small ones. I find that the adult mortality rate is much higher (most likely due to old age). When I buy groups of 500-1000 small crickets, that’s usually enough to last me a few months.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I wish I knew crickets (Acheta domestica) better. Despite my good cricket husbandry, my shipments of 250 3/4 inchers are hit and miss. Back in March my crickets lived a long time with hardly any deaths. My shipment from two weeks ago in June are dying off at alarming rates. I'm having to clean the bin every day so it doesn't stink really bad. My only clue is that they all started molting to adults soon after I received them. I can also tell which ones are dying. Some develop some kind of paralysis in the back legs where they become outstretched and unmovable, then a couple of days later they are dead. The cricket farm doesn't know what is going on either. All they say is "that doesn't happen here at the farm." :rolleyes:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Not sure, I seem to end up with more. Ive got a system going, mine usually last 3-5 months before grain mites take over and I dump the remainder but then I seem to get an endless supply of pinheads whilst I have adult crickets and so I keep moving the adults to a fresh tub and raise the pinheads for slings and frogs n stuff

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
...but then I seem to get an endless supply of pinheads...
The adult females lay their eggs in soil-like substrates that are moist. If you wanted to stop the pinheads from birthing (but, why would you wanna do that? :happy: haha) you could make sure they do not have access to a large amount of soil/dirt material. Even grainy food can become a place the moms will lay eggs. I simply use layers of paper towels on the bottom for "substrate" and keep their food fresh and in small dishes.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
....My shipment from two weeks ago in June are dying off at alarming rates. I'm having to clean the bin every day so it doesn't stink really bad. My only clue is that they all started molting to adults soon after I received them. I can also tell which ones are dying. Some develop some kind of paralysis in the back legs where they become outstretched and unmovable, then a couple of days later they are dead. The cricket farm doesn't know what is going on either. All they say is "that doesn't happen here at the farm." :rolleyes:
I do wonder if they got too hot during shipment. I personal think that once they overheat (probably above 95f), even for a short period, they have limited time left. Just a thought.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
how do I get rid of the smell of them?
Keep them and the enclosure clean. Remove any dead ones, replace any climbing material every two weeks or so. If you reuse the same enclosure, make sure you wash it out with soap and water (isopropyl alcohol will work if you can find it anymore) between each cycle of crickets you buy. Offer them fresh fruit and veggies, but replace/remove the uneaten portions every 24 hours. When I give them oranges and limes the enclosure smells fantastic as I love a good citrus smell haha.

Lastly, if you buy them from the local pet store they will stink because of the conditions they keep them in. Give them time and plenty of fresh air and the stink should dissipate. If you really want clean crickets, get into breeding them. It's super easy.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
For me, 1 or 2 crickets die every day. Why is that?
Crickets only have a life cycle of 7 to 8 weeks. So if you are buying large crickets or adults, they are only going to have a week or so left before they reach the end of their life cycle. By buying small crickets you can raise them up before they start dying. I keep crickets in a ventilated plastic box enclosure with egg crate for habitat, and water crystals fish food flakes. They should live and not die under these conditions.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
because you dont buy banded crickets.
I cultured Acheta domestica very successfully for years. The adults don’t have a very long lifespan. I recently switched to banded crickets. The adults last MUCH longer.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Magic to keep crickets alive: Large space, low density, good ventilation, HIGH heat

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Some cricket farms switched to banded crickets because they appear to have a greater resistance to the cricket virus than Acheta domestica.