Why do crickets die so easily?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Crickets only have a life cycle of 7 to 8 weeks
Sorry, WHAT?
I am not sure which crickets you are keeping, but as far as we entomologists know no cricket species on this planet has a life cycle this short (life cycle= egg to adult's death). The common crickets used as feeders (Acheta domestica and Gryllodes sigillatus) can easily live for 4 months when kept under good conditions, sometimes longer. Even as adults only their lifespan is longer than 2 months.
Please do not spread misinformation.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I do wonder if they got too hot during shipment. I personal think that once they overheat (probably above 95f), even for a short period, they have limited time left. Just a thought.
I think you are right about the exposure to high heat for even a short amount of time. I’m going to have to start paying better attention to when my shipment of crickets look good and when they look bad. I swear that my crickets shipped in spring and fall with mild temps turn out better than the ones shipped in the summer, but don’t know for sure

mickiem

Arachnoprince
`I buy 3000+ striped crickets every other week and I hardly have ANY die off. The largest I buy is 3/4". (I keep dubias for my guys that need larger insects). They need to be over 70* and well ventilated in a large enclosure with lots of clean egg crate. I used to use a heavy crock with a sponge and water but recently switched to water crystals. I think a lot of death is due to drowning OR not giving enough water. I sprinkle cricket food on the bottom; under the egg crate. There are a lot of commercial sources but I make my own: Rabbit pellets ground in a blender, whole oats, pea powder, spirulina algae, wheat germ, Brewer's yeast, calcium, and I toss in some respected mixes randomly. Everything I use is organic and I store it in the freezer lest a mite find this yumminess. I add potato or oranges and take them out after a few days. I clean my enclosures with Mrs. Myers lemon dish soap every two weeks. It's work, but crickets are too expensive to let die. The only time I have had a bad odor is if there is moisture (water spill - which is why I switched tot he crystals) or rotten food. I don't think crickets in pet stores are generally healthy, so the problem could be out of your control.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
`I buy 3000+ striped crickets every other week and I hardly have ANY die off. The largest I buy is 3/4". (I keep dubias for my guys that need larger insects). They need to be over 70* and well ventilated in a large enclosure with lots of clean egg crate. I used to use a heavy crock with a sponge and water but recently switched to water crystals. I think a lot of death is due to drowning OR not giving enough water. I sprinkle cricket food on the bottom; under the egg crate. There are a lot of commercial sources but I make my own: Rabbit pellets ground in a blender, whole oats, pea powder, spirulina algae, wheat germ, Brewer's yeast, calcium, and I toss in some respected mixes randomly. Everything I use is organic and I store it in the freezer lest a mite find this yumminess. I add potato or oranges and take them out after a few days. I clean my enclosures with Mrs. Myers lemon dish soap every two weeks. It's work, but crickets are too expensive to let die. The only time I have had a bad odor is if there is moisture (water spill - which is why I switched tot he crystals) or rotten food. I don't think crickets in pet stores are generally healthy, so the problem could be out of your control.
6000 crickets a month??????

Je-sus christ!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
6000 crickets a month??????
that's the minimum. Usually 7000-8000. I have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. I also go through hundreds of wax, meal, super, earth and soldier fly worms. And fruit, veggies, fruits mixes, dog food, cat food. It gets crazy in here! :wacky::frog::ant::bug::snake::scorpion::lizard::spider::snail:

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's the minimum. Usually 7000-8000. I have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. I also go through hundreds of wax, meal, super, earth and soldier fly worms. And fruit, veggies, fruits mixes, dog food, cat food. It gets crazy in here! :wacky::frog::ant::bug::snake::scorpion::lizard::spider::snail:
Mickiem! sorry to Hijack the thread. Trying to pm ya but mailbox says full. Sent ya a pm on Facebook.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Mickiem! sorry to Hijack the thread. Trying to pm ya but mailbox says full. Sent ya a pm on Facebook.
i'll get that inbox cleaned up soon! I had a lengthy hiatus and am just trying to get back in the boards.