Why do B. Boehmei tend to be more skittish?

zoroastrianpulchripes

Arachnosquire
I´ve really always just accepted it as fact, however now I´m intrigued as they tend to come from similar environments to the other Brachys. Does anyone know? Thank You! :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Not all are same.

Just for an example:

While this is not about Brachypelma, but my Chilobrachys fimbriatus is out and about a lot, while @Tarantuland’s one is not.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I´ve really always just accepted it as fact, however now I´m intrigued as they tend to come from similar environments to the other Brachys. Does anyone know? Thank You! :)
Why do I have panic attacks when I have to call to order food but my father doesn't?
Why am I shy in crowds but my sister thrives in them?

Even from the same species, personalities can differ wildly.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
We should make are ts take personality test
First question do you tend to want to help others. No everything else is prey but I might be lenient with a male
Second question do you tend to be more social or try to stay away from crowds. I might let you behold my magnificent colors but if you tick me off I will make you regret it. Get ready to be haired!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Not all are same.

Just for an example:

While this is not about Brachypelma, but my Chilobrachys fimbriatus is out and about a lot, while @Tarantuland’s one is not.
True, and my Boehmei is my angriest tarantula. It will kick hair half a dozen times in one feeding

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Every spider is different. Their temperament can even change from one molt to another. My girl was flick-happy when she was younger. In recent years, she really needs to be startled up good before she even does anything. But at some point, approaching premolt, she'll start to flick randomly, leaving hairs all over her enclosure. She always leaves a good-sized bald spot, making monitoring for the most obvious premolt sign really easy.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Or even like the Bumba horrida that was chill with @BoyFromLA but in my care it flicks hair anytime I move the enclosure like I need more body hair, which I don’t. It is a red head, so maybe not the greatest example.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Who said B. boehmei is more skittish than all other Brachypelma species? I have adult, or near adult, females of all Brachypelma species except B. albiceps and B. baumgarteni in my collection and they are all the same in disposition. I guess the exception is my B. emilia, which is a bit calmer, but all of the others are terribly quick to kick hairs and prone to short bursts of speed.

In a general sense, people severely under estimate how the captive environment can effect behavior. Just because Joe and Jane both have the same species of tarantula and Jane's is more skittish than the Joe's, the difference in behavior may very well be because Joe and Jane keep their tarantula differently and not an indication of different personalities. Maybe Joe's calm tarantula is kept a few degrees cooler than Jane which could explain the difference. Or maybe Jane's tarantula doesn't use its hide causing it to be more defensive.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Who said B. boehmei is more skittish than all other Brachypelma species? I have adult, or near adult, females of all Brachypelma species except B. albiceps and B. baumgarteni in my collection and they are all the same in disposition. I guess the exception is my B. emilia, which is a bit calmer, but all of the others are terribly quick to kick hairs and prone to short bursts of speed.

In a general sense, people severely under estimate how the captive environment can effect behavior. Just because Joe and Jane both have the same species of tarantula and Jane's is more skittish than the Joe's, the difference in behavior may very well be because Joe and Jane keep their tarantula differently and not an indication of different personalities. Maybe Joe's calm tarantula is kept a few degrees cooler than Jane which could explain the difference. Or maybe Jane's tarantula doesn't use its hide causing it to be more defensive.
All my hamorii are more chill than my Boehmei , but I have 3 hamorii and only one boehmei.
My male hamorii is a kicker too tho

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
My boehmei never kicked hairs at me and is one of the calmest species i own. Every tarantula is different in their attitude ;)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
mine was pretty chill until the last molt. Still pretty chill but she kicked hairs at the brushing when I rehoused her last. She isn't one of those "I walked by her enclosure and she kicked hairs" though

VukSRB

Arachnosquire
One more factor can be that boehmei are not captive bred as much generations as some other brachy species, so they may have more "natural personalities".
- just a theory