Why do arachnids grow so slowly?

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The absolute fastest growing tarantulas may reach 3 or 4 inches a year from birth, but that is generally the exception and not the norm. Most take years to reach that size, even with continuous feeding and warmth. I've had scorpions haven't reached an inch a year after their birth, not even 50% of their adult size. Heck many insects grow quite slow as well (beetles etc).

Meanwhile someone barges in with a 30 lb puppy that's 6 months old. Endo/ectotherm aside, why do insects and arachnids grow so damn slow? It's almost frustrating, because I love them and I love raising them. Thoughts? Theories? Good reads?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Categorizing arachnids in general as slow growing is something I disagree with. Not all arachnids grow slow nor are all of them the same. My N. incei matured in 7-8 months, which I had a A. avic matured into a small MM in a little over a year when I got him at 1.5''-1.75''. And if we're talking true spiders, I recently had a B. scutatus sling into a Mature male in 6 months (although he's tiny). It's not good to categorize "arachnids" as all slow growing. But I can agree that some T.'s are very, very, slow at growing.

N. incei Before and After

B. scutatus MM

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Because they know we love them and they do their best to live as long as they can, just for us.
So... does that mean that my fast-growing Ts hate me, and are deliberately stuffing themselves and growing as fast as they can, just so they can leave me sooner? :(

In the words of Meatloaf: "So now I'm praying for the end of time, that's all that I can do! I'm praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you."

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
So... does that mean that my fast-growing Ts hate me, and are deliberately stuffing themselves and growing as fast as they can, just so they can leave me sooner? :(

In the words of Meatloaf: "So now I'm praying for the end of time, that's all that I can do! I'm praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you."
Not everyone's best is the same, it doesn't mean they don't love you any less. :angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

Then, imagine. 30lbs sling that’s 6 months old. How would you feel about it? :troll:
I'd boop its not-snoot and call it a good pupper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My geniculata probably multiplied it’s weight by at least 1000x in 2.5 years. Imagine if a 1 lb puppy got to 1000 lbs in that time frame

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The absolute fastest growing tarantulas may reach 3 or 4 inches a year from birth, but that is generally the exception and not the norm. Most take years to reach that size, even with continuous feeding and warmth. I've had scorpions haven't reached an inch a year after their birth, not even 50% of their adult size. Heck many insects grow quite slow as well (beetles etc).

Meanwhile someone barges in with a 30 lb puppy that's 6 months old. Endo/ectotherm aside, why do insects and arachnids grow so damn slow? It's almost frustrating, because I love them and I love raising them. Thoughts? Theories? Good reads?

Most insects don’t live that long, that’s why they have large numbers of progeny.

Most Ts don’t live that long either

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My geniculata probably multiplied it’s weight by at least 1000x in 2.5 years. Imagine if a 1 lb puppy got to 1000 lbs in that time frame
I mean a possum multiplies it's weight by about 500x in about a year. Same with many marsupials, the only difference with a dog is that it spends most of it's early years in the mothers womb. Spiderlings do not.

Also, fish! Many species will grow to 1000x their size at birth within 6 months or less.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
A lot of arachnids are born, grow to adulthood, reproduce and then die of old age all within 12-18 months.