Why did you get into spiders?

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I posted mine when I first joined the forum a few years back. I've always loved spiders since I was little. Picking them up playing with them and turning them back lose outside.

My first T was a G Rosea, cleverly named Rosie, my mom got us when I was somewhere between 6 and 8. She was actually my brothers but he always let me help him. We had her a very long time, almost 20 years. I recently found an old molt when I helped my brother move and opened it up to find Rosie was in fact a her, even though every one told me she was most likely female. I've always had G Rosea's at some point and naturally had to have another after a few years without one. Found this forum after doing some searches to find many more T's I just had to have.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got into by watching a few of Robc's and Jon3800 vids on Youtube. Like many noobs, shortly after I went and purchased a LPS G.rosea, then 6 months later I have 30 T's in my house, including a face eating L.difficilis from South of Heaven, i actually would handle my OBT first , lol.....

And to think I use to be an arachnophobe... :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i thought i posted in this thread way back when :confused::?

i bought one almost exactly a year ago because of my boyfriend at the time. he said he was going to get one of our wild Aphonopelmas and smuggle it into our house just to scare me. that joke sparked a quest i had no idea i'd be on, countless hours online learning about the "enemy" led me to some beautiful pictures, and i was hesitant, but nevertheless still somehow strangely hooked.

my search started at my very own work who did not have a rosea (at the time, although we had mean ones in the past that did no favours to how i felt about tarantulas), all the way across town and back, holding anything the stores would let me put my nervous hands on (or under, rather). in the end, i still ended up with a G. rosea though (of course).

i still find it funny how that G. rosea is with me, while he is not. my interest in the hobby lasted longer than my interest in him! and my interest in my rosea lasted about as long as the newest T i could get my hands on, stinking pet rocks! (i still love malificent, my grumpy first T though.)

now i have 23. good grief... :p

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
I was offered a free sling by a member of another forum. Then while waiting I started creepin' around and then couldnt wait to get one. Says my join date on here is 11/22/10, and I believe at that point we only had our G.pulchripes. Now we are up to 20 T's. Damn you arachnoboards, damn you.:wall:

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
I work alot, i mean alot about 60 - 80 hour weeks and i was looking for something i could keep as a pet with easier care requirements. As a result i found myself in the LPS asking alot of questions. They referred me to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide it answered alot if not all of my questions at first, this site answered all the rest. Starting out i was really caught by a Cobalt blue, the clerk at the pet store turned my attention to a G.Rosea. The next day after much thought and consideration i bought her named her charlotte. So that was #1. I am now sitting at 6 and want more .......

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As a kid, my mom was terrified of snakes, my dad was a "dog" person, so that was the only animal we ever had. I don't know why, but I was always fascinated with spiders and snakes. I don't even know how it all started. Now, I have 21 T's. That is what my husband always buys me for holidays :razz: Oh, and I have my good old reliable ball python.....:D

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My parents got me a rosea when I was three(I didn't really take care of it, they did for the most part). Then I got my little brother an avic when he was five. I've been getting more ever since then.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
You ever been sitting enjoying the silence after a hard days work........ then all of a sudden you hear that really really really annoying sound coming from that cricket in the corner somewhere. so you get out the bug spray then the shot then the rocket launcher. Then go back to enjoying the silrnce and as soon as you exhale ;P;P;P;P;P. theres that dag nabbit cricket sound again. :D:D:D WELL NOT WHEN YOU HAVE 15 TARANTULAS IN YO HOUSE :D:D:D. Everytime i hear 1 making that sound in my cricket/roach tank I wait to see whos doing it and catch it and then !!!:worship::worship::worship: ITS FEEDING TIME:worship::worship::worship:.

nikyzo0p

Arachnopeon
uhhhmmm. well first started when i helped bring my boyfriends b. boehmei home i noticed i don't mind them as much. then when i gave away my dog i was sad so he offered to get me a t xD. then December 18th rolled around and he couldn't resist buying me a Christmas gift and got me my A. Avicularia !! now i absolutely love them!!! more coming as well {D

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was scared of spiders.. so of course the logical thing to do was go to my pet shop and handle the rosies :D I fell in love when she didn't attack my hand like I expected. lol

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
As a kid I really loved dinosaurs, and monsters. Keeping reptiles and inverts is the closest thing, me thinks.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was always a big fan of exotics but never kept any until I roomed with my best friend in who was keeping amphibians and reptiles while we were getting crickets one day I checked out some of the pets the store had. I seen an enclosure that had contained a tarantula and I asked the clerk when they would be getting some more in stock and she said she had one for sale from her personal collection and showed me a pic of a female Haplopelma lividum and I thought it was stunning. I bought it from her soon after as mature female unfortunately I discovered that it was a mature male instead and it died 6 months later. I've been raising them ever since.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I was never really into spiders. Mostly reptiles and mammals. But this summer when I was out looking for these

I found quite a few of these

And the fact that you can pick many of them up, and the heft of the females when you're holding them, I don't know. I just kind of fell in love with them.

Loz

Arachnopeon
People who don't know me find it hard to believe, but I used to have a HUGE fear of spiders. But I hated the fact that I was scared of spiders, as I like all animals.

Four years ago I got together with my fella, who had (and still has) a massive Lasiodora parahybana called Harry. Over time, the more I was around Harry the less scared I was of regular spiders.

I was really determined to get over my fear and eventually had a Grammostola rosea, which I handled! {D

I now have a 2 year old Brachypelma auratum and the cutest lil Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (less than 1 inch!), which I am head over heels in love with! :D

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
My uncle gave me a G. rosea as a "thank you" for being the ring bearer in his wedding when i was 9, and ive been hooked ever since =)

losct2381

Arachnosquire
When I was young my father was into tarantulas. I used to live to help him and watch him. But u know how it is I got older into my teens and drew away from it. Then my father passed when I was about 17 and I had forgotten all about it. Until not too long ago my son seen one in the pet store and asked for it. It was a rosea I looked at it and thought easy enough seen my dad do it a million times. Yeah right I had to read a book ask a million and one questions. And look now I'm caring for well over 100 plus tarantulas and guess what then one who asked for them is into trucks all of a sudden and I'm left with the fever. Lol funny how life works huh maybe he'll inherit my collection lol.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

It has to be in the blood

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was originally looking for an Emperor Scorpion. I heard of a guy looking to get rid of his ... and when I went to collect it he sprung it on me that I had to take another "pet" along with me. His wife freaked out when she found them hidden in the filing cabinet. So I got a G.rosea (Lucy) as part of the package. I watched it from the corner of my room for days ... and then her leg "grooming" habit kinda grew on me, I researched what other kinds of T's were out there ... and I was hooked. Four months later I owned 24 {D

Glory

Arachnopeon
What a stupid reason this is. haha. I live with my mom and had been trying for months to convince her to let me get a second cat. We finally did and then had to give it back because it beat up the original cat all the time. After a few months, I brought it up again. It was a definite NO. Then i asked for a bunny. NO GO. Bearded dragon? Nope, they smell and are too much upkeep. How about a tarantula? As it goes, mom had a tarantula herself when she was my age and couldn't say no. Then when I told her what an awesome deal I would be getting when I finally went to the pet store, she agreed. I was never scared of spiders like some people are. No, I didn't really like them, but it wasn't fear. Once I held her for the first time, I was in love. Seeing her molt was crazy, watching her eat is amazing. I'm constantly taking pictures of her. I don't know if I'll ever end up with dozens like some of you, but Sydney has definitely opened my eyes and my heart to spiders :)

arachnokid6

Arachnopeon
first tarantula

i got my first t when i was 3 a zebra leg t it deid from shedding then i got my 2nd t a g rosea female im 14 now and i still have her i got a t because i was into bugs i now have a avic pink toe a mexican red knee 2 rose hairs a curly hair and a chaco golden knee sling. {D{D

viruk

Arachnopeon
watched a few robc videos on youtube and i said to myself "wow, those are beautiful". and of course I've got infected by his enthusiasm.