Why did you get into spiders?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
whats the first T. you ever got? and the story behind it?

mine was the gorgeous A. Geniculata, seen her in the new pet shop opened in my town, i never knew tarantulas could be so colourful, only T.s i had seen was rosies and red legs so i had to have her paid 45 pounds for her and she was like 3 CM which was bloody expensive! but now looking back she was worth every penny, now i have a P. Irminia, 2 Curly hairs and her and soon to be having a P. Pulcher and a B. Beomei ^_^

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, mines simple, want a t, cant, wife doesnt, get divorce, oh, get a t, been building ever since, first t, common rose, now up to 70+

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) id been pretty interested in getting a T for some time but never got around to it. i found out that a mate of mines at work had two rosies and he told me quite a bit about them and showed me a few books. i decided i would get one;)
thing is the petstore he got them from no longer sold Ts so i looked all over leicester , litterally.went from one store to another and nothing:( then when i was about to give up i found one that had a few Ts in store:D
i looked at what he had and in ignorance bought an indian ornamental female , adult sized.he told me it was pretty harmless too and that it was alright to put my hand in the tank to change the waterbowl:eek: well i didnt do that but my mate at work soon put me right about how dangerous a pokie can be if not treated with respect. ive since learned that particular dealer isnt to be trusted so i rarely go there anymore , unless im forced to buy feeder insects due to a shortage in the other stores that ive since found that sell exotic pets.:rolleyes:

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
well, mines simple, want a t, cant, wife doesnt, get divorce, oh, get a t, been building ever since, first t, common rose, now up to 70+
wow you divored your wife for a T.? thats so cool lol

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was 11 and into spiders and other myriad biological things. My family was vacationing at my grandmother's and we were shopping at the mall. They had a Haitian brown (P. cancerides) on sale for $10.99 and I had something like $15 to my name. I asked my mom, she said yes and even helped with the few bucks I needed to get a kritter keeper type cage and some gravel (yikes :eek: ).

That was sometime in 1981 or 1982.

Last edited:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Two weeks ago I got my C.Crawshayi, Ag.Geniculata and a L.Cristata. All slings... the King baboon is an inch the other two were 1/4 inch slings... The A.Genic has been burrowed for a molt for four days now... I can see he is moving around on the bottom of the tupperware so I assume it went well... cant wait to see him/her... MY FIRST MOLT!:D

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I was gifted a curly sling.
It was the best gift ever.
I still have her.
shes a fat piggy.
if I could fit the dog in the enclosure
she would eat it.

looseyfur

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's 1991, I'm 11 years old, and for some reason (can never remember why) I want a pet tarantula more than anything in the world.

My mother, being highly arachnophobic is having none of it. So instead, I buy any T books I can (not many to choose from back then) and keep House Spiders (Tegeneria sp.) in self-constructed tanks.... :eek:

Eventually, after holding a G rosea at some animal fair or zoo, my mother begins to relax about the spider thing. I've set my sights on a "Mombassa Golden Starburst", which I've read is some evil ball of yellow hellfire that has your arm off in ten seconds flat (hey, I was about 12 or so by then)
Unbeknown to me, mother sources and purchases a hatchling G rosea for my 13th birthday. Well, not exactly what I wanted mum, but I guess it's the thought that counts. :)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first Ts was A.Versicolor,A.Metallica,Curly Hair,PZB,and a Chaco Golden Knee. They were my first ts. My husband had already had some ts for awhile but I started to get interested so I got some to :)

roylemom

Arachnopeon
I bought a G. rosea for my kids for Valentines Day. Did it for a joke. I've always been the type of mom that does stupid things to shock the kids:D and my son is scared to death of the common house spider, so I thought I'd really shock him with this.(Yes, I did my research first to care for it properly, and John Hoke helped me.) Anyway, we're not so scared of spiders anymore....we love them.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was in a pet store just looking around and the guy working there asked me and my son if we wanted to see a spider. Of course he said "sure I would", so he showed us an A. versicolor juvi and sling.

When I told my wife later, she freaked, but I told that it was really cool. Next thing I know, she's buying me one for a Christmas present. It was an A. versi that was one molt away from mature male. Luckily though, the guy helped me later by getting me a female A. versi for a killer price.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
mine was an a. chalcodes given to me my freshman or sophomore year in high school.

a friend of mine was dating an older guy who was in the army and stationed in arizona. he got her a tarantula and she wasn't interested in it. however, i was, and she gave it to me for my birthday.

i had her until i graduated from high school (she was pretty old) and when she died, i was really, really sad.

i picked up again on the hobby about two years ago when i bought an a. geniculata. then i bought the b. boehmei that was also in the pet store. and of course, i bought the pterror they had, too.

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wife got an iguana... I got a G. rosea... the end.... well not really....

is there ever an end? :D :rolleyes:

~~~Psycho~~~

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well,
it was about 7 months ago i was at a reptile show bying some firebelly toads when i seen a table with this wicked looking T a c.crawshayi well i ad been wanting a T longer than this but was scared of them,so i finally gave in and got a G.Rosea i got the T a cage and some crickets all for 15 bucks after about 6.5 months of keeping chilean rose's i'm finally gettting aggressive speices and cant quit buying them.

Josh

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Up until about 4 years ago, I would have never thought about getting a tarantula. I hated tarantulas with a passion. When I was younger, I could never understand the people that I saw on tv holding tarantulas. I cringed just seeing it on tv.

However, being interested in science, and loving to watch the discovery channel, I would see shows about them, and thus learn more and more about them. I even saw on a Discovery channel show about phobias, how an old woman with a severe case of arachnophobia got over her fear to the point of being able to hold a tarantula.

So the more I learned about them, the more interested in them I became. Well, three or so years ago, I went into a petstore near my apartment and was looking around. Anyways, I came across a rose hair exuvum that was laying on a shelf. So I decided to pick it up and put it in the palm of my hand.

I have to tell you, that that really freaked my out. I don't care if it was just a shed skin, it gave me the willies. So I put it back down. Well, a few weeks later, I went back into the petstore, and an old woman that worked there, was letting that rose hair crawl all up and down her arm.

Well, my ego got the best of me. I figured that if some old woman could do it, then so could I. So I asked her if I could hold it, and she let me. Again, I got quite a case of the willies. But I was intrigued at the same time. I really liked seeing the creature walk. That rose hair, turned out to be my first tarantula.

Jon

p.s. It was also the first tarantula that I got rid of -- damn boring rose hair. Oh well, it served its purpose.

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T. was the one at the thread "Id Me.." in the Tarantulas Boards! Pleeeeease help me on that! LOL

Thanks for any help.
Thiago

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
My first T was an adult female G.rosea named "Rose", followed after several months with my first slings, G.rosea, A.hentzi, A.seemanni. B.albopilosum, C.fasciatum, and H.maculata. And then I was truly hooked on the hobby :cool:

OB-1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
first t was a G. rosea. it died soon after i foolishly fed it wild caught crickets. now i know better.. and have been hooked on Ts ever since.