Why did my p. subfusca die?

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
My 1.5" p. subfusca was alive and well when I got her, so I can't cast blame on the dealer.

Had plenty of micros and medium crickets for her to eat. She never ate. Her water was easy for her to get to. Habitat same as for every Pokey I've every had, and I've never lost one of them. Room temp, humidity, etc., same as for every Pokey I've ever had.

She lived about 10 days. Seems like she became more lethargic every day, and I didn't know how to help her.

She was so beautiful.

What did I do wrong?????:?

Makes me want to puke.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

god man that really sucks, you hav my condolences those are beautiful not o mention rare, i'm no sure but i've heard hat P. subfusca needs to be kept a little cooler than other poecs.--Jeff

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by WarIsPeace
My 1.5" p. subfusca was alive and well when I got her, so I can't cast blame on the dealer.

Had plenty of micros and medium crickets for her to eat. She never ate. Her water was easy for her to get to. Habitat same as for every Pokey I've every had, and I've never lost one of them. Room temp, humidity, etc., same as for every Pokey I've ever had.

She lived about 10 days. Seems like she became more lethargic every day, and I didn't know how to help her.

She was so beautiful.

What did I do wrong?????:?

Makes me want to puke.
Sometimes shipping is tramatic. The 10 day period of steady decline after you got her can't be characterized as arriving in good shape. Sounds to me like she was a few shades better than dead on arrival. Sorry for the loss, but sometimes there is nothing you can do if the package is drop kicked.

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At the ATS convention this weekend, Andrew Smith discussed Poecs during two separate 90 minute presentations. P. subfusca and P. rufillata are from the mountainous regions of Ceylon (Sri Lanka?) and he thought we (Americans) were keeping them too warm. He said it was cold enough there to see your breath. They probably shouldn't be kept exactly like P. regalis, fasciata, or striata. I picked up a 2 inch subfusca at the show and am going to keep her cooler than my others. Sorry about your loss. John

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah

Hey I'm sorry about your loss I too lost a pokie and it was my first one and I havent had the courage to buy another. I also heard that P. subfusca must be kept cooler than other pokes. Hey tarantulakeeper can you look at the threat that I made about the Black Pokie.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm really sorry you lost a T. :( i haven't even had experience with any of the harder to keep species, but any animal loss can be traumatic.

i also don't think it was your fault. unless you were simply baking her in high temps, she was probably just not dealing with the stress of the shipping.

regardless, i offer my sincere condolences. (hug) don't give up though. :) you obviously care about your animals and i'm sure that you will again be successful in the future.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
same happen to me with my parahybana sling exept it never death curled

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
Thanks, everyone, for the input on my dead p. subfusca. I should have researched the species a LOT more than I did before I bought her.

Thanks again.:confused: