Why can’t I raise scorplings?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
All three scorplings have been completely awful experiences for me. My P. imperator died from cancer shortly after I got him, and his sister died from impaction a year later, and yesterday I found my S. mesaensis sling dead from an unknown cause. Not sure if I’ll ever get a scorpling again, I’ll stick to adults. Are there any that lige nearly as long as H. arizonensis?

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Sorry you and they had to go through this. I don’t own any scorpions, but they are on my bucket list. As a child I bought as a souvenir a tiny scorpion encased in plastic.

Hopefully someone with scorpion experience will chime in.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
All three scorplings have been completely awful experiences for me. My P. imperator died from cancer shortly after I got him, and his sister died from impaction a year later, and yesterday I found my S. mesaensis sling dead from an unknown cause. Not sure if I’ll ever get a scorpling again, I’ll stick to adults. Are there any that lige nearly as long as H. arizonensis?
Pandinus are easy to raise it is all about proper temps 75F-85F and deep 100% moist substrate (clumpy not drippy). I began with square cups and progressed up to shoeboxes (properly cross ventilated). Moisture and depth of substrate and temps are essential especially in regards to successful molting.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Pandinus are easy to raise it is all about proper temps 75F-85F and deep 100% moist substrate (clumpy not drippy). I began with square cups and progressed up to shoeboxes (properly cross ventilated). Moisture and depth of substrate and temps are essential especially in regards to successful molting.
That’s how I kept her, I’m not sure how it went wrong.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
My P. imperator died from cancer
How do you know it was cancer? Haven't heard of it in scorpions before.

But yeah, scorplings are more fragile, so the chance that something happens is bigger.
However, losing all 3 scorplings of fairly large and easy species seems like bad luck or you might be doing something wrong without realizing.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince

But yeah, scorplings are more fragile, so the chance that something happens is bigger.
However, losing all 3 scorplings of fairly large and easy species seems like bad luck or you might be doing something wrong without realizing.
Ditto. I have never heard of cancer in invertebrates.

@Moakmeister did your scorpion have a hernia? That condition can be common and not usually fatal. Again, if you have the proper temps plus the proper substrate depth and moisture you will enjoy a high rate of success with Pandinus likewise Heterometrus too. It is with improper tenps and too dry of an enclosure do fatalities and bad molts rise significantly.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

When I got him he had these two big pustules at the base of his tail. As soon as I saw it, I remembered reading years beforehand that scorpions with cancer usually have lumps at that spot, so that was my first thought. He seemed fine for almost five months, great appetite, nicely active, but then he suddenly just died.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Ditto. I have never heard of cancer in invertebrates.

@Moakmeister did your scorpion have a hernia? That condition can be common and not usually fatal. Again, if you have the proper temps plus the proper substrate depth and moisture you will enjoy a high rate of success with Pandinus likewise Heterometrus too. It is with improper tenps and too dry of an enclosure do fatalities and bad molts rise significantly.
It had to be something wrong with the enclosure, I just don’t know what. It was nice and wet in there, no mold that I could see, and it had a heat mat on the side.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
When I got him he had these two big pustules at the base of his tail. As soon as I saw it, I remembered reading years beforehand that scorpions with cancer usually have lumps at that spot, so that was my first thought. He seemed fine for almost five months, great appetite, nicely active, but then he suddenly just died.

It was probably a hernia. It is highly suspect scorpions can ever acquire cancers but then again I have never looked into subject. But that sounds like pure nonsense.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It had to be something wrong with the enclosure, I just don’t know what. It was nice and wet in there, no mold that I could see, and it had a heat mat on the side.
You want it moist not wet. A clumpy substrate not a drippy substrate.

bjjpokemon910

Arachnosquire
ALOT of people from what I've seen have Trouble keeping Scorplings, just remember that the babies almost always need more moisture than their adult counterparts, and need to be fed a little more often. I'm currently raising a bunch of C. sculpturatus babies.