Problem Why be a ...?

Lander9021

Arachnosquire
OK so thank you to the many people that have helped me out past few days, there's just one thing that I don't understand, as far as um aware this site is used for general discussions between hobbyists and answering questions people have about tarantulas...so...why are there a number of total ballbags that have to rant and rave at me and others for beeing new, I am sorry if my questions offend anyone but I was told by numerous people to fire away my questions, so I have, I came here to gain knowledge not get mouthed at if I wanted a rant ID of asked the Mrs or mother...just please answer people questions but no need to get heated because they're / I'm new ...I was in the army four years I don't have a go at you for not knowing certain skills and drills so don't have a go at me...please

Thank you

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Hi Lander, i think most of the members don't have any issues at all with questions. They have issues with people putting their tarantulas or other animals they keep at risk due to being lazy. You were in the army so will appreciate that being lazy is not good

Using the search function will bring up hundreds of posts opened by newbies with exactly the same or similar questions answered. Asking again is not an issue either as members can direct you at the posts in question if needed.

But many draw the line at the "HELP my tarantula is dying" type posts or "I bought a T, now what do I do" scenarios

I had a go at someone recently for trying to feed a T days after it moulted and spraying it three times a week when it was a Brachypelma. I could have been a bit less abrupt but sometimes its hard to keep nice when you know an animal is suffering through no fault of its own

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Regards
Shane

Lander9021

Arachnosquire
Hi Lander, i think most of the members don't have any issues at all with questions. They have issues with people putting their tarantulas or other animals they keep at risk due to being lazy. You were in the army so will appreciate that being lazy is not good

Using the search function will bring up hundreds of posts opened by newbies with exactly the same or similar questions answered. Asking again is not an issue either as members can direct you at the posts in question if needed.

But many draw the line at the "HELP my tarantula is dying" type posts or "I bought a T, now what do I do" scenarios

I had a go at someone recently for trying to feed a T days after it moulted and spraying it three times a week when it was a Brachypelma. I could have been a bit less abrupt but sometimes its hard to keep nice when you know an animal is suffering through no fault of its own

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Regards
Shane
OK in all fairness I put my hands up i didn't think of it like that, that beeing said I think there are a few people on here that are a little OTT when it comes to discussions, if a creature is at risk fair dos grill the owner till they break down and realise whats wrong about what they do...but I've seen a question asked about how many times a certain species will molt in a lifetime to whitch a member an arachcosuppoter at that gave the lad a grilling that he couldn't own any species ...I mean there's no need for that ..i havnt a clue how many times my sling will molt...shall I sell her to someone that knows the ins and outs of them...not knowing about molts is not an animal at risk ...someone just obviously hasn't mated in a while and has turned into a great big swollen ballbag...IMO anyway.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
true some times people can come off a bit on the curt side and that is being generous. but bear in mind that some of the old timers and longer standing members will have answered the same question countless times which can make a person testy and then you have newbies come in and argue with them when they are told what they are doing is wrong. it can make some folks kinda sharp edged i guess. there are also a few touchy subjects that will set the people around here off too so watch for that.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
welcome to the boards you have to get roasted at least once.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Why be a <edit>?
In addition to the above mentioned, the repetitious and member intolerance, is the plain simple fact they can get away with it. Persons can act in an antisocial manner that would get them treated as a pariah IRL. The board and moderators draw a line in their rules and the person stays within those boundaries then tests, prods, pokes, aggrandizes, harangues, harasses, acts curt, extends ridicule, and you name it. The entire gamut of antisocial behavior.

I had my own question answered as to why a couple of days ago. Observing the boyfriend of my brain free sister-in-law. He was surfing youtube. Each and every site he visited he gave a thumbs down to. Just because he could. If the site/video didn't appeal to his take on the world, he gave them his sad and sorry little shaft.

My suggestion, which won't make you proof from the trolls but might help wade through them to the helpful persons. As stated, use the search function until you want to start ripping your hair out and kick the cats. Then carefully work out your exact questions, phrase them grammatically in as proper English as possible, and cross your fingers. You can also request assistance in your native language if it isn't English. There are knowledgeable people here who are willing to help. It just may take a little time and tolerance on your part to sift through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Use the private messaging function once you make friends with some more experienced keepers. You won't get the same diversity of opinion, which is unfortunate, but you also won't get the same diversity of abuse.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Use the private messaging function once you make friends with some more experienced keepers. You won't get the same diversity of opinion, which is unfortunate, but you also won't get the same diversity of abuse.
I love how the word "abuse" sounds in Italian :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Enlighten us :)
Eh :) not an easy task my friend but i will try. There's certain English words that make me crack up from laughs everytime i hear those + when i try to spell those in Italian.

One is "several", because reminds me of an ancient Roma Lady name, Severa :p

"Abuse" make me lol because here is used, not for let's say "bully" or such, but for depict (mostly, in the zombie news) sexual assaults or stalkers, lol.
I love how that sounds in Italian.

"Abuso" Italian. Like "Abuso di potere" (the Power abuse, maybe by Police etc).

Now "Abuse" English... i hear something like "Abiuuss" ah ah. Sounds funny IMO.

Just me, crazy & elusive like the bucks of Wimpy's Tuesday Hamburger, lol <3

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Eh :) not an easy task my friend but i will try. There's certain English words that make me crack up from laughs everytime i hear those + when i try to spell those in Italian.

One is "several", because reminds me of an ancient Roma Lady name, Severa :p

"Abuse" make me lol because here is used, not for let's say "bully" or such, but for depict (mostly, in the zombie news) sexual assaults or stalkers, lol.
I love how that sounds in Italian.

"Abuso" Italian. Like "Abuso di potere" (the Power abuse, maybe by Police etc).

Now "Abuse" English... i hear something like "Abiuuss" ah ah. Sounds funny IMO.

Just me, crazy & elusive like the bucks of Wimpy's Tuesday Hamburger, lol <3
That was really interesting, thanks! I understand, though. Some German words make me giggle. "Gift" means "poison," "Schmuck" means "jewelry," etc.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
No, I say don't let the negativity turn you away -- I've gotten LOTS of great help that I wouldn't have otherwise, but then I've been fortunate to not have been roasted -- yet -- maybe I'm still marinating. :D

That said, I've always felt that the onus was on me to do a search and ideally some research besides before asking a question. It seems better etiquette and then is how I was raised -- my dad would not help me with stuff until it was clear I'd really tried to find the answer or fix the problem myself first -- and I am grateful to him for that. :)

Btw, I'm not suggesting that you didn't look around first -- I have no idea of the conversations referred to or what was asked... Guess I could do a search... :rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That was really interesting, thanks! I understand, though. Some German words make me giggle. "Gift" means "poison," "Schmuck" means "jewelry," etc.
Eh eh eh, you too :) That's the spirit my friend <3

You have to hear me when i "mock" Russians and other Eastern Europeans trying to spell their words in "cirillico" in Italian like their "3" and something, lol laughs guaranteed.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
No, I say don't let the negativity turn you away -- I've gotten LOTS of great help that I wouldn't have otherwise, but then I've been fortunate to not have been roasted -- yet -- maybe I'm still marinating. :D

That said, I've always felt that the onus was on me to do a search and ideally some research besides before asking a question. It seems better etiquette and then is how I was raised -- my dad would not help me with stuff until it was clear I'd really tried to find the answer or fix the problem myself first -- and I am grateful to him for that. :)

Btw, I'm not suggesting that you didn't look around first -- I have no idea of the conversations referred to or what was asked... Guess I could do a search... :rofl:
I'm not the OP and I haven't been roasted, either. I've just seen it happen frequently.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
For all those people whose first response is to tell people to use the search function - my only thought is that they never use the search function. Especially if something is going wrong. The search function bites and it always will. And to be fair - it isn't only this forum - it's all forums. It's just the overall nature of the search option and you are not able to change that. You use too many words in your search parameter and you come up with nothing. You use the 'wrong' words and you come up with nothing. You use too few words in your parameter and you come up with almost 20 years of junk. Doing a broader search results in listing entries of every time that someone has used those words in posts, and every single response to each post, and causes your search to come up with dozens of pages of results. It's ridiculous to expect someone, who thinks that they might have a tarantula in peril, to wade through years of posts to get an answer. Plus, many of those responses to posts are people complaining that they shouldn't have posted.
If they are expected to rely on the search function in an emergency - their tarantula is going to die. Stop expecting them to use a less than ideal option to get their answers and just accept that they are going to post again. It takes the same amount of time to answer their questions as it does to complain that similar posts exist and it is a pain to answer again.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Welcome to the hobby,and don't let any snide comments chase you away! We need newbs,they are the lifeblood of forums,and sometimes a few people around here forget that. Ask whatever you want,and let come what may. If someone really bothers you,there is an ignore function here. If I see a ? I've answered before,I just either answer it again or scroll past it.I've never seen the need to get testy on these forums.We're not all like that,so please stick around.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
People who complain about others not using the search function are making the search function less effective. People who answer the questions with proper information are making the search function more effective. So, the more you complain on someone's post for information - the less effective the search function becomes.
Answer more and complain less and the search function will become more functional.

cold blood

Staff member
For all those people whose first response is to tell people to use the search function - my only thought is that they never use the search function. Especially if something is going wrong. The search function bites and it always will. And to be fair - it isn't only this forum - it's all forums. It's just the overall nature of the search option and you are not able to change that. You use too many words in your search parameter and you come up with nothing. You use the 'wrong' words and you come up with nothing. You use too few words in your parameter and you come up with almost 20 years of junk. Doing a broader search results in listing entries of every time that someone has used those words in posts, and every single response to each post, and causes your search to come up with dozens of pages of results.

It takes the same amount of time to answer their questions as it does to complain that similar posts exist and it is a pain to answer again.
So true about search functions.. I totally see that point! But here's a tip, do your AB searches through google;) I have found it more effective.

I disagree about the last part though, I often spend a lot of time writing a response and editing before I post. It can be time consuming for sure.

What bugs me a little is when it doesn't even take a search though the boards to get the answers, so often we will have 2 or 3 threads going at nearly the same time asking the same basic questions. This has really gotten worse since the changeover, as prior new users couldn't post right away, and were forced to browse the threads more before being able to post, so a lot of those people figured out there dilemma without having to resort to creating a thread, now you can join and in 5 minutes post a thread with a question...its pretty obvious that many don't even read through the few most recent threads before they ask, much less doing a search.

Still a great place to come talk about ts though:)

Welcome to the hobby,and don't let any snide comments chase you away! We need newbs,they are the lifeblood of forums,and sometimes a few people around here forget that. Ask whatever you want,and let come what may. If someone really bothers you,there is an ignore function here. If I see a ? I've answered before,I just either answer it again or scroll past it.I've never seen the need to get testy on these forums.We're not all like that,so please stick around.
Good post Shawno:) Never be afraid to post, ask a question or be worried about snide comments (just look past them, there is almost always positives to be seen). I never understand the fear of posting, just think it through....and do it while sober...lol.

Ignore user feature just may be the most under utilized thing on AB:)

Last edited: