Why are none of my Ts aggressive

jlr2016

Arachnopeon
How come none of the T’s I have are feisty? Maybe they do t like roaches and prefer something else?

jlr2016

Arachnopeon
I mean like, unlike other T’s they aren’t eager to eat. I drop a roach in and they scavenge on it later.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
First things first...what you are calling feisty and aggressive is commonly known as “Feeding Response “. There are many different species each with own “general traits” concerning feeding response.

What species of Tarantula do you have?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
What size are they? If they’re slings they’re more likely to scavenge then hunt

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
The word aggressive really doesn’t apply to tarantulas (maybe loosely in the context of feeding response). They maybe at times defensive, some species on the VERY defensive side, and some know the best defense is a good offense. Many have a very “active” feeding response. As @Goopyguy56 posted, we need to know particulars before you can receive more than very general feedback,

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Species, feeders, poor husbandry(housing/temps), well fed...
No one can answer that especially with out knowing what species and how they are maintained. Hard to imagine a more general question

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I have a range. I have a GBB that is supposed to be a heavy webber and aggressive eater. He is neither of those things. My A. genic, supposedly a murder machine, really doesn't jump on pray. He more meanders over to the general area and waits for the pray to get close.

So even when you have species with a strong feeding response, each T is different and don't always fit the mold.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What species do you have that aren’t showing great feeding responses? And what are they kept in?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have a range. I have a GBB that is supposed to be a heavy webber and aggressive eater. He is neither of those things. My A. genic, supposedly a murder machine, really doesn't jump on pray. He more meanders over to the general area and waits for the pray to get close.

So even when you have species with a strong feeding response, each T is different and don't always fit the mold.
They are all individuals of the species.
How old are they and how long have you had them?
Gbb slings, for example, sometimes take a while to settle in and a well fed one might refuse food or be unenthusiastic come feeding time.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
How old are they and how long have you had them?
Surely you mean how "big" are they right. ;) My GBB is 3.5" and I've had her for a year or so. She has had about 8-10 months to settle in. She's just not the textbook GBB. My A. genic is about 1" DLS so maybe he'll grow into his appetite. He's breakingme in slowly so I don't sell him on Craig's List (kidding!)

And you are right and reiterated my point. They're individuals. OP mentioned in another post they have an LP and was expecting it to be an eating machine. Maybe it will be, but it very well could not be, but it isn't something to stress about.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Surely you mean how "big" are they right. ;) My GBB is 3.5" and I've had her for a year or so. She has had about 8-10 months to settle in. She's just not the textbook GBB. My A. genic is about 1" DLS so maybe he'll grow into his appetite. He's breakingme in slowly so I don't sell him on Craig's List (kidding!)

And you are right and reiterated my point. They're individuals. OP mentioned in another post they have an LP and was expecting it to be an eating machine. Maybe it will be, but it very well could not be, but it isn't something to stress about.
Have a similar sized GBB girl maybe smaller and a 1.5" genic and it truly hurts that yours don't have those traits YET. Gives them so much character. It will come! We all have some odd spoods in our collection!

Edit: She's lying. Her's spins more then mine lmao!

Last edited:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Have a similar sized GBB girl maybe smaller and a 1.5" genic and it truly hurts that youra don't have those traits YET. Gives them so much character. It will come! We all have some odd spoods in our collection!
Hahaha my daughter was looking at the GBB today telling it that it has so much potential and that he needs to step it up. LOL

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Hahaha my daughter was looking at the GBB today telling it that it has so much potential and that he needs to step it up. LOL
If it makes you feel better about the genic when my N.chromatus was little it would panic bolt and stress curl when it saw feeders , and if it attacked it would be very passive. It molted once and then turned into a savage murder machine that leaps from a few inches away for prey lol . Sometimes those hungry species slings are just so nervous 😂😂. My geniculata was nervous at first too but not as bad as that darn chromatus lol

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
If it makes you feel better about the genic when my N.chromatus was little it would panic bolt and stress curl when it saw feeders , and if it attacked it would be very passive. It molted once and then turned into a savage murder machine that leaps from a few inches away for prey lol . Sometimes those hungry species slings are just so nervous 😂😂. My geniculata was nervous at first too but not as bad as that darn chromatus lol
Oh I got 2 little slings...T. albopilosum 1.25" + T. epicuraneum 1". Both used to run to their hidey hole. Now both 2 molts in...one played "give me back my moss" and the other gave me a threat pose 🤣🤣🤣