Why are jumping spiders in the pet trade?

thejdoggy

Arachnopeon
Why are jumping spiders not in the pet trade?

I have wondered for a long time now why jumping spiders are not more popular in the pet trade. There are only two reasons that I can think of and those are the size and the lifespan. Other than those two reasons I can't think of any more. They are very easy to breed and keep, they all have funny little personalities, they have a great feeding response, and in my opinion they all look amazing. So i just wanted to get some opinions as to why they aren't more popular. Also I'm new to this forum so if I'm in the wrong section please tell me.

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would venture to guess they're not readily accessible in the pet trade because they are virtually ubiquitous in the everyone's backyard. One can literally go outside and find at least a couple members of Salticidae without much effort at all.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
size is another factor, they are not as impressive first glance to the commoner as a ten inch blue tarantula

i3scorpion

Arachnopeon
Theyre pretty unique compared to other arachnids, since theyre one of the most intelligent arachnids known and they acutally stratigize there hunting methods instead of just sitting and ambushing for food.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I would take a few of them one sold them for reasonable prices. P PM me if you're bringing any to the Long Island expo. :)

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
I just brought one in from outside the other day and I gotta say it def has personality - cute as a button too.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I will be getting my jumpers soon. I've spent 200USD on a bunch of them. My only issue with them is that they have a short life span and that's a lot to dish out for something that only lives a year. But I'm fascinated with the exotic species and want to always have them in my collection.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I'd quite like one but I can't find any here in the UK so :/

What is the lifespan out of curousity?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

You're lucky to have an adult female live a year or two.

Some day I plan on getting Hyllus species, but only a breeding pair or gravid female because of their life span. Cute little buggers.

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most males live about 4-8 months, while most females live about 8 months to well over a year. While of course the lifespan of jumpers is nothing like a tarantula, it does compare favorably to many other commercially-available arthropods, for instance Praying Mantids. Mantids seldom live even a year, yet they are widely-sought in the pet trade. Moreover, from my experience, jumpers are also hardier and easier to keep than mantids.

Since I live in such a good area for them, I sell jumpers, and the people usually interested are of course arachnophiles, but also photographers (as jumpers make GREAT subjects) as well as scientists, and especially educators who exhibit them for children, teaching them about the diversity of life.

Jack

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would venture to guess they're not readily accessible in the pet trade because they are virtually ubiquitous in the everyone's backyard. One can literally go outside and find at least a couple members of Salticidae without much effort at all.
That doesn't stop petco/petsmart from selling brown/green anoles for 6 bucks. I laugh everytime I see them on display {D

Yoxigan

Arachnopeon
They are really tiny. That is the only reason I don't keep them myself.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have some jumpers at my house that I had never seen before. I always used to see the damn near microscopic ones hopping around on brick walls and such. These much more larger, like 1/4" and up. I had taken a picture of one, I'm trying to find it. It was very nicely colored.

Bah, no luck finding it. But when I see another I'll get a picture. They're all over the place.

ziggy

Arachnopeon
I wish :laugh:

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know that this is an old thread, but it's worth commenting on. Jumping spiders are not big sellers and can't be priced very high, so most dealers don't want to waste their time on jumpers. If they do occasionally have jumpers in stock, there's a minimum order, which is usually about $100. It takes somebody who's passionate about them to bring them to the pet trade. This is why I started www.phids.net. I only sell jumping spiders in the genus Phidippus, and they're available year-round. I also don't have a minimum order. If you just want one, you can order one. I also have a phids.net facebook page.

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I know that this is an old thread, but it's worth commenting on. Jumping spiders are not big sellers and can't be priced very high, so most dealers don't want to waste their time on jumpers. If they do occasionally have jumpers in stock, there's a minimum order, which is usually about $100. It takes somebody who's passionate about them to bring them to the pet trade. This is why I started www.phids.net. I only sell jumping spiders in the genus Phidippus, and they're available year-round. I also don't have a minimum order. If you just want one, you can order one. I also have a phids.net facebook page.
I just visited your site, it says you have nothing to sell, made me sad.