Why are crickets so much more popular than roaches in America?

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Agreed but sometimes wild caught arboreals prefer them..

I have a WC A.avic that begrudgingly eats crix here and there and is prone to long fasts.. Guess how I got her to feed for the first time in 3 months last night..
I split a discoid down the middle and placed it on her web.. I found a bolus in her water dish this morning:)
going to try this, have a female 'rescue' A avic that currantly only tong feeds, and, only takes SMALL crickets,
she was dehydrated and near dead when I got her, spent her first night on her back in my hand with me dribbling her water drop by drop,
so...okay, I do spoil this girl now, (been a year and she molted so I'm pretty sure shes good now) but that's well worth a try.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I personally never had bad feeding response on lats. Dubias tend not to move too much and burrow, so i devised a way how to make them active and not to burrow, simply crush their head and few leg joints

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One clue is roaches fall under the category of vermin in the US. While there are few laws directly relating to sales and transportation of roaches, almost all states have health and safety codes that strictly regulate vermin as a potential health hazard.
IE, in many states your home or place of business can be raided by health officials, fumigated, and you get handed a huge fine and assortment of nastiness: Violation of health codes, creating a public nuisance and so on.
This all stems from the fact that roaches are a severe health problem. It's over reaction in a way, but also understandable if you have seen some of the infestations.
Crickets aren't considered vermin and don't fall under the same regulations.

I'm recalling a vast warehouse I entered in Cudahy, So. Calif. The entire concrete floor was invisible under an inch thick carpet of roaches. Literally, trillions of them.
Think about several trillion critters packing any of over 30 known diseases plus parasites.

Last edited:

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
...........I'm recalling a vast warehouse I entered in Cudahy, So. Calif. The entire concrete floor was invisible under an inch thick carpet of roaches. Literally, trillions of them. Think about several trillion critters packing any of over 30 known diseases plus parasites.
Reminds me of our kitchen back in New Jersey. Too bad I wasn't into bugs yet. Feeders galore.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Yes here in Florida at the moment only Discoid roaches are legal so I think some form of feeder roach is available in all states in the U.S.
Actually, there are quite a few roaches legal in Florida, so long as they are already found there, but of those, Blaberus discoidalis probably do make the best feeders. I am not sure what if any are allowed in Tennessee or Hawaii.

Cant use them in Canada because they're illegal.
Seriously??? That is inane! o_O

The biggest reason I think roaches aren't more commonly used as feeders is, as others have said, the public's strong and irrational hatred and fear of roaches, crickets on the other hand are perceived as cute by many, even though they are way smellier and are much more vicious creatures.
Yep, in a word, the answer is IGNORANCE. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying people aren't sensible to steer clear of the four pest species, obviously, but 99% of roaches are incapable of infesting human dwellings. So some universal ban or aversion to roaches makes about as much sense as fearing tarantulas because black widow spiders are venomous. o_O

Last edited:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Actually, there are quite a few roaches legal in Florida, so long as they are already found there, but of those, Blaberus discoidalis probably do make the best features. I am not sure what if any are allowed in Tennessee or Hawaii.
Yes, from what i read, E. floridana is great breeder, are active and can grow up to 2". They are native to Florida so one can go in the wild and pick some of them up to establish a colony, so there is no expense of getting them beside maybe gas money

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@ErinM31 I don't suppose you know which species do you? I have tried looking this up on FWC website to no avail.. I would love to be able to offer a nice soft bodied active species like B.lateralis..

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
@ErinM31 I don't suppose you know which species do you? I have tried looking this up on FWC website to no avail.. I would love to be able to offer a nice soft bodied active species like B.lateralis..
For a large (but not necessarily exhaustive) list, go to Roach Crossing and under the For Sale menu go to Roaches > By Type > Florida Legal :)

EDIT: It's even legal to have pest roaches shipped to Florida because they are there already. o_O Well, I wouldn't recommend using them as feeders, although you probably wouldn't have to worry about running out -- indeed, that would be the danger! :rofl:

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
For a large (but not necessarily exhaustive) list, go to Roach Crossing and under the For Sale menu go to Roaches > By Type > Florida Legal :)

EDIT: It's even legal to have pest roaches shipped to Florida because they are already. o_O Well, I wouldn't recommend using them as feeders, although you probably wouldn't have to worry about running out -- indeed, that would be the danger! :rofl:
Right! I'm going to go with a group of P.nivea when they are back in stock..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
They're a good choice if you want a small feeder (adults are under an inch). :)
Yea I'm looking for something about med-lrg cricket size for avics and poecs.. The fact that they fly is a awesome bonus for my arboreals!

Randomjoe

Arachnopeon
For Florida legal you can go to roachcrossing.com as already posted also capecodroaches.com, both have sections specifically for Florida legal. Bugsincyberspace may also. Out of the 3 I have only bought from roach crossing myself.