Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Found these in my Tapinauchenius plumipes' waterdish. Did she drop these? hmmm

I wonder what these are...

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats really odd, dont think they look like Tarantula eggs at all. Dont know what they could be though,,,,maybe some kind of bug larvae?:confused:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
kinda look like mites.
I'd clean it out, whatever it is.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
kinda look like mites.
I'd clean it out, whatever it is.
Agreed. Clean out the dish and let the tank stay dry for a week or two for good measure. If they're in the water it's because the tank is too dry for them anyway but you'll want to be sure.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah Id clean it out as well,:razz: but what the heck are they? do mites lay eggs in water?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but what the heck are they? do mites lay eggs in water?
It's hard to tell but I think they are actually dead mites, not eggs. If the cage was dry they may have been drawn to the water because they were dehydrating. Mites don't look like much until you get a really good, close look or you see them moving.

[Edit] (looks closer...) Yeah I think the small specks are grain mites. They're probably all over the place. Bosing, you should check neighboring cages and make sure your mealworms (if you have any) aren't overrun as well. They often hitch a ride in on the substrate in mealworm cups.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is mites, I would suggest a thorough cleaning of the cage.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's hard to tell but I think they are actually dead mites, not eggs. If the cage was dry they may have been drawn to the water because they were dehydrating. Mites don't look like much until you get a really good, close look or you see them moving.

[Edit] (looks closer...) Yeah I think the small specks are grain mites. They're probably all over the place. Bosing, you should check neighboring cages and make sure your mealworms (if you have any) aren't overrun as well. They often hitch a ride in on the substrate in mealworm cups.
Hmm I didnt think about mealworms,,,,I have a whole tank of those, Im gonna have to check in on those..just to make sure,,I feed them to the Redfoots (tortoises)I would hate to have mites in with them:eek:

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, guys! I'll do a major clean-up this weekend...