Who's this guy?/Handling questions

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I know, I know, I'm never on the site anymore. My visits are so irregular now, I doubt many peopl even know who I am. To those people I say...hi.
Peso's as good as ever. He/she has been the victim of many photo shoots lately as I constantly try to get the best results from my low-end digicam. He/she hasn't moulted since february, but due to his big appetite, and my warm room (it is winter here in Canada, afterall) it shouldn't be too much longer.
BUt I've got a whole new set of questions for those of you who love to answer my queries. Handling questions.
It's still a little early, but my desire to handle Peso is growing rapidly. Those of you who know me know I won't rush into this without research so that I know I'm ready. But, for those of you who don't know me, I'm aware of the risk factors, and Peso is a G.Pulchra so hopefully I'll be safe :p
But, there's a lot I don't know. For those of you who handle regularly...educate me. Does and do nots, please. My biggest question is how do I get Peso out and into my hands in the first place. I'll probably wait one more moult before I start. Sorry this message is so long.
As always, I thank everyone for their help,
Paul

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Though I haven't had any, I think G. Pulchra are supposed to be some of the calmest T's out there. When I handle any of my T's, I usually just open the top of their kritter keeper/jar/sweater box and gently guide the individual onto my hand. Just as long as you don't make very sudden movements, the T should be okay with you holding it. It really depends on the individual tarantula. I hae a large rosie that won't tolerate touching her dirt, much less handling. The other 3 rosies are as calm as can be. I also have a H. "longipendum" that actually tolerates being held, though it isn't supposed to. I don't pick that one up often, just for a photo shoot now and then maybe. Long hair isn't always a good thing either.....seems like mine is always the perfect place to hide from me.

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Rookie!!!
how are you?! Long time no hear :)
Well, glad to hear Peso is doing well. As for handling, it's quite simple.
I always let them come out to me, and gently guide them from behind if they need encouragement. Sit on the bed, or better yet, on the rug, and put one of your hand's palm up level with the top of the container. Gently guide Peso with your other hand, or a soft bristle paintbrush to the area where your other hand is.
Some slings get scared and run a short distance, so be prepared.
This sounds silly, but I do all sling maintenence in my undies =D
I've had too many Ts climb into my shirt, or pants, and then you have to worry about taking items of clothing off (or like one time when I actually CUT my own shirt off me!), so you don't crush your T.
Makes for problematic picture taking though!
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Holley

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
Thanks for the reply. For a little while there, I thought I was being ignored. That would've been tough to deal with, psychologically speaking.
Hi Holley! Long time no see. You look as good as ever.
A few follow-up questions.
In everyone's opinion, is there a handling time that is too early? Peso's still a spiderling, but he's an....older spiderling. i'm just a little curious what everyone thinks.
about Peso getting away a little bit. well..i watched some videos provided by the ATS (thanks to anyone from there on here) and they just kinda...scoop up, or grab a fleeing T. However, they are experts and I am now. Shouldn't the sudden envelopment of a big hand frighten the T? Are there right and wrong ways to do it? How long should a handling session last?
Paul

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Paul,
I just took this series for you....
This is Gog, an A eutylenum sling (quite a fat one too!)
Since it's just me, and I had to hold the cam with one hand, in pic #2 my other hand should be ready to help him over the lip of the container....
but you should get the idea

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Gog, Interrupted :)

Here's Gog reluctantly being prodded from behind by my hand

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
and here is Gog calmly walking out...this is actually a very calm sling, but I've seen it run at times too

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
out at last

And here is the end result...voila!
As for the other methods, I saw it done at the convention, but I wouldn't try it. I'd be scared of something happening, either to me, or the T. This way works best for me, and I'm not that experienced either

Last edited: