Who WOULD WIN THEN PART DEU!!

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
After watching scorpions kill and eat tarantulas on "Scorpion Tail" on Animal Planet last night, I think the emperor would kill the blondi.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My bet is that the blondi pounces on the emp and bites in right in the middle, and while it is being bitten the scorp stings the blondi in the face, and then they both die.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
-palau- said:
After watching scorpions kill and eat tarantulas on "Scorpion Tail" on Animal Planet last night, I think the emperor would kill the blondi.
Those were unexpecting, wandering mature males though. :embarrassed:

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well it made quiteee a show of T's getting eaten by scorps, and seemed to make it look like T's are more of a naturl prey to scorps then scorps are to t's so im stilll gonna say scorps ftw

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
cashewman1 said:
Well it made quiteee a show of T's getting eaten by scorps, and seemed to make it look like T's are more of a naturl prey to scorps then scorps are to t's so im stilll gonna say scorps ftw

thats been the idea for ages.. not just now

most old books on scorpions show them as supreme invertebrates (excluding ants...)
ive got an old book on scorps which claims scorpions are their "favourite" food source, and judging by my experience of feeding wolf spiders to Euscorpius sp, thats the case

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cashewman1 said:
I know absolutely nothing about T's so correct me if im wrong. But i was under the impression that spiders just injected venom and then sucked the inside out of the prey. Or do they actually eat and dismember it like a scorp would?
Well "true spiders" usually suck out the inside, leaving the exoskeleton intact, but Mygalomorphs, the suborder that includes tarantulas, have chelicera side by side, instead of facing each other, and and the undersides usually have teeth or ridges, which the fangs act on to masticate prey, the bases of the pedipalps may be toothed or ridged too. Generally, when my tarantulas eat, there are no recognizable pieces of the prey left over, they dismember and mash them up pretty thoroughly.
Also, based on my experience feeding Orange Head Roaches (Eublaberus prosticus) to both tarantulas and emperor scorpions, I'd say the tarantula is probably a lot more likely to get the first strike, and would probably be better at subduing the scorpion. Both Theraphosa apophysis and Hysterocrates will literally catch the roach in mid air as it's dropped in, and hold it tightly until it's dead, the apophysis even managed to basically fold one in half with it's fangs. When feeding nymphs (the spiders got adults) of the same roaches to emperor scorpions, the roaches would easily get away, and the scorpions were much slower to react. They actually had to be crushed and turned upside down for the scorpions to be able to grab them easily.
Chances are these animals would just totally avoid each other unless they were really confined anyway, but my money would be on the Theraphosa. I think Scolopendra gigantea would probably make short work of either though.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
CopperInMyVeins said:
I'd say the tarantula is probably a lot more likely to get the first strike, and would probably be better at subduing the scorpion.
First, this is assuming the tarantula WANTED to attack the scorp first, u said they would ignore each other.-- Which means it would be whichever decided to strike. And the Scorp can almost always inject the T with venom even if the T grabbed the scorp, injected it, and did whatever to subdue it, the scorp would keep on sting sting sting....

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the blondi would win the blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would winthe blondi would win

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
That's funny-
"SCORP LOVER"---"BLONDI WOULD KILL SCORP"

Anyone can say it, but why do u think so? Sorry if u've posted your thoughts before, but how can something win, if it's going to DIE??

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
First, this is assuming the tarantula WANTED to attack the scorp first, u said they would ignore each other.-- Which means it would be whichever decided to strike. And the Scorp can almost always inject the T with venom even if the T grabbed the scorp, injected it, and did whatever to subdue it, the scorp would keep on sting sting sting....
I'm saying that if they were put in a confined space together, the only way a "fight" like this would occur anyway, I think the tarantula would be the quicker to react. I'm pretty sure one or both of them would want to attack if they were confined it that way, I'm saying the match up would never happen if they weren't. From that I've seen of emperor scorpions in action, they're fairly slow and clumsy in comparison. I'm not talking about scorpions in general, but emperors specifically. Tarantulas are pretty good at not getting hurt when subduing other invertibrates, I don't think they would lose all their caution if the prey is a scorpion. The Hysterocrates will actually hold it's 4 front legs up off the ground to keep the struggling roach from kicking them.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
why would it win? the blondi, think, massive HUGE 10" size, full of power, LUNGING onto a scorp 1/4 its size, injecting venom, and crushing it with 1" fangs going right through its body, the blondi would kill it. my blondi especially :drool: just got done feeding her a mouse.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Oh, yes, I know how T's defend themselves. But still, when a Theraphosa blondi, (since we are talking specific here) won't think "OH! Stinger! Gotta watch out for that, it'll hurt!!"
Anywhere the scopr stings, it will go in! Legs, mouth, eyes, whatever, the T simply cannot prevent the scorp from somehow tagging him.
BTW: This is what I think would happen 99.99% of the time, I'm sure sometime it would get lucky and be able to subdue it in some weird position...

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok, now, what *IF* the blondi got abbed by that tail? it wouldnt just let go of the scorp, and did we ever think it *MAY* survive the sting?

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This whole thing brings up an interesting question, just how effective are are the venoms of these various predators on each other? I've read that tarantula venom is actually much more effective on rodents than on other invertibrates, giving the impression that it's more of a defensive measure than a means of killing prey. I think centipede venom is pretty effective on both vertebrates and invertebrates. I know that Scolopendra gigantea will always kill laboratory mice, within 3 minutes if injected in the tail, and in as little as 30 seconds, if the injection is near the head/neck. I'm not sure where emperor scorpions would fit into this, would their venom actually be quick acting and deadly to T. blondi?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Apparently T venom is much more potent on cold-blooded animals then on warmbloods. That's why a mouse can take atleast a minute to die from a T bite. (Only a bite) lol.
But I (Not being much of a scorp expert yet, I'm a T guy mostly) I don't know what makes scorp venom more or less potent. I would think it would be quite disabling to a T.
But I still say, this thing's a draw, they're both gonna fight to the death, and die. (eventually)...

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
U guys are in bed already? sheesh, it's only 1:00 in the morning, where'd ya go?? Yawwwn, now I'm bored...

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
Apparently T venom is much more potent on cold-blooded animals then on warmbloods. That's why a mouse can take atleast a minute to die from a T bite. (Only a bite) lol.
That's odd, I've actually read the opposite, that it's more effective on rodents, not all vertebrates, but specifically rodents than anything else, including invertebrates. I've never fed a vertebrate to one, but if you say that a mouse will die in about a minute, that definitely backs this up. I've seen the orange head roaches still struggling and moving 15 or even 20 minutes after capture.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Oh, did i say die? Sorry, i meant incapacitated enough for the T to start working on it.
Yes, some vertebrates are more affected by the venom apparently. Like Dogs and Cats even, we just have a lucky break. But I still think the effects of T venom are much more potent in cold-bloods, like reptiles, and I've read books that agree that cold-bloods are more affected then warms.