Who thought I'd be the one asking for a spider ID?

basin79

ArachnoGod
@RezonantVoid Got a something for you from one of the world's foremost mosquito identifiers. I mention the unusual webbing to him and he tossed back, environmental factors. The habitat should be closely examined, biologically and botanically and well as humidity and temperature, and not just in present time but as long a period into the past as can be assessed.
His logical conclusion being these may be a new species, or one already well described that has adapted to certain circumstances. He explained he's encountered several variations of mosquito that superficially looked to be a new species or sub species but under the microscope weren't. Simply had undergone minor alterations due to outside the norm ongoing environmental factors.
(Pardon me for being long winded there. I keep reminding myself to take a recorder with me when talking to that man. When his interest gets triggered he verbally writes up an extensive highly technical white paper that deserves several weeks of study. 40+ years as an active field researcher entomologist.)
That's got me thinking. Spiders are quick on using their webs to their best. Maybe a drought? Spider puts down loads of extra webbing to colloct more morning dew? Also the morning dew might well attract more prey that is also scare because of said drought?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That's got me thinking. Spiders are quick on using their webs to their best. Maybe a drought? Spider puts down loads of extra webbing to colloct more morning dew? Also the morning dew might well attract more prey that is also scare because of said drought?
Except that this spectacle is found in an open area in tropical rainforest, far north QLD. Although the dew catching is an interesting idea, there are several small true spider species that use such a tactic in many Aussie backyards

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sound right. Might not take very long under certain circumstances for spiders to come up with local adaptations.
The huge mosquito I posted about a while back. I queried the size. The entomologist told me it's just the normal mosquito but they grow larger when they have to travel father distances for food or suitable reproduction habitats. Dimorphism often enters into the equation.