Who molted today?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
My Phormingochilus rufus sling molted today. This is by FAR the tiniest tarantula I have ever owned. I can't wait for it to grow up and start showing adult coloring.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My Pterinopelma sazimai sling (from cold blood) molted for the third time in my care. It didn't put on much size, but it is very cute.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
received_3083458245076633.jpeg

Female T.albopilosus molted last night . Got to watch her build an extravagant molt mat all day yesterday which was super cool

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
My N.chromatus also molted tonight ! I knew she was due soon but didn't expect today . Can't wait to see her - she's underground

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Apparently short bus here felt the need to spend the last two weeks coating every square millimeter of the substrate in a web matt.

A. Avic.jpeg

What is interesting is that we have had a pretty cold start to summer but had a big jump in temperature and humidity the last two days. This is one of two A. Avicularia that molted in the last 24 hours along with an A. sp. Kwitara, two B. Emilia and a T. Albopilosus (all slings).

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
(Edit: Sheesh... seems like I have the video on private. Will fix later,when I'm home.)
(Edit #2: Fixed.)

Not today, actually. Took me a few days to come round and edit the video a bit. Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria) - shown at 8x speed. The whole process took around 13 minutes:

Please excuse the somewhat shaky video. When I noticed the imminent molt, all I had was my phone and my own hands to focus on it for a quarter of an hour.

As you can see about halfway through the video, not all was well. One of the lower legs broke off. Observation: For good molts, they need steep twigs or somthing similar. The twig she was molting on is inclined about 45°, and she had difficulty reaching and grabbing onto it after the molt. I nudged her just a bit, so she could grab on.
She was not much impaired by the missing lower leg. She lived happily ever after... for about a week. She is now an empty shell, sucked dry by one of my assassin bugs.

I find they are the coolest feeders. They don't stink, they don't dig, they don't munch on your tarantula, they don't play dead. And they are fun to watch. Almost pets :).

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
No idea when as she's hidden inside her underground burrows 99.9% of the time as you can imagine.

Selenocosmia arndsti
86F1C8B5-9C40-4889-866D-A9C654605525.jpeg

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Today we have a few uncommon ones.

Acanthoscurria geniculata
_MG_5312.JPG _MG_5313.JPG

Catanduba simoni
_MG_5317.JPG
_MG_5320.JPG

Dolichothele mottai
_MG_5307.JPG