Who loves Philippine Blues, raise your hand!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I changed the bedding in my Philippine Blue enclosure tonight. They are between 3" and just over 4". I added about 3" of substrate to the already 3" depth and 90% of it is fresh; rotten wood, leaves, coir, etc. I put a layer of fallen oak leaves on top and an oak log that I had "cooked". (I put 10% of the old bedding back in.) They are all over the place! Creeping, crawling, tunneling and twirling! I have never seen them so active. I think they like their deeper bed.

As I was watching them, I noticed a few of the largest ones are chalky blue. Does anyone know if the male has brighter color in this species? I would think the female would be the larger ones. Also, the blue is saturated on the telson and collum. It isn't as glossy in those areas; a little more matte looking.

The largest one is just over 4".
Blue four inch.JPG

The two larger millipedes here ( and a few not in the pic) have an amazing blue coloration. BTW, the leaves in this photo were GONE in 6 hours.
Blue Ph.JPG

Jerry

Arachnobaron
They look awesome do they have any special requirements

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They look awesome do they have any special requirements
They seem to eat ALOT! I have had 10 of them a few months in something the size of a 10 gallon and the substrate is almost all frass. They eat everything I put in. According to Orin, they are easy to keep. I haven't had them long, but so far so good!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I love them! The most colorful one I ever had was a female. Orin also told me via PM something similar, he was down to 2 females, one grey and one fairly blue...I think that last one is on the back cover of his book

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I think it primarily has to do with age. The older the more blue, they're more green or brown when younger.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yeah I'm definitely raising my hand now! Awesome millis!
IKR!! I was amazed at how much more active they became when I deepened their substrate. It is interesting to see the different behaviors among the species. I don't think I could pick a favorite.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
IKR!! I was amazed at how much more active they became when I deepened their substrate. It is interesting to see the different behaviors among the species. I don't think I could pick a favorite.
I need to deepen the substrate on my group, but I just need to get a larger enclosure first. They already seem to be super active, so definitely loving them!