Who likes Poecilotheria?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Me do :)
Here's a nice example of Poecilotheria ornata.
Common name is the Fringed Ornamental. Why? I guess because of the femoral fringe. Though, I believe that P. regalis has a more defined femoral fringe. Look at all that purple!
john

Attachments

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to an exotics trade show this weekend and I'm hoping to buy my first Poecilotheria there, probably a P. regalis, if anyone has some that look nice and are within my budget.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LaRiz,

That is a beautiful T. I've not ventured into the realm of the Pokes yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Botar

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh yeah!!, that is one hot looking T. I,m with Botar, just a matter of time, or finding one locally at a fair price.

What would a fair price be?

E

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since day one of collecting tarantulas I have wanted to get a pokie but they cost too much and they are hard to locate.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 P. ornatas... they are my favorite aboreals.....

I got each at about 1.75" for $30

the first i got was in early may, and it is nearly 5.5" now....

They are amazing!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Awesome pic as always, John. Really shows the cryptic coloration with the cork bark as background. I really love this species. Mine are still fairly small (3" or so), but I've noticed they seem to be the most adventurous and outgoing of my Pokes. So far they haven't displayed too much of that famous ornata intolerance for disturbance, but I expect that will come in time ;)

Joy

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have to pick up another one of these. Unfortunatley, my first one died in a bad molt and the second died of a tumor or some kind of growth out of it's abdomen. :(

Scott

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a Awsome T, I only own 2 pokies they are P regalis, the female at around 7 inched and the Inmature male at 6. Im hopeing to breed them here in a few months when he matures.

Scott I am sorry to hear of you loss, especially with a species like that. :(

Sincerely,

Brandon

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely love mine.. One of the coolest (Poec. sp) when it comes to appearance :) My regalis (which is huuuge!) is a bit calm though.. calmer than my rosea! she doesn't even mind crickets walking on her! (though she might be pre-molt.. doesn't that make them quite reluctant to move?) But when she decides to really move, she -as someone before has stated- actually teleports!

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm lucky enough to have been around literaly thousands of T's (lets just say I've got the coolest job on the planet)and P.regalis is still my absolute favorite spider and one of the only sp. I'll keep at home

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pokeys

There is nothing like a large adult 7"+ Pokey! Love the picture of that P. ornata. Also cool purple are adult P. formosa, my gal is starting to get that coloration!

Pictured is one of my subadult P. subfusca, as they age they get darker and darker.... Wicked COOL!

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by VI6SIX
I'm lucky enough to have been around literaly thousands of T's (lets just say I've got the coolest job on the planet)and P.regalis is still my absolute favorite spider and one of the only sp. I'll keep at home
What job would that be?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Since day one of collecting tarantulas I have wanted to get a pokie but they cost too much and they are hard to locate.
:? :? Jacen - have you looked at the online venders? I got my first pokies from Kelly and the Indian Ornamentals are only $25.

Gail

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Yes Nice pokie

Nice pokie bro lol Ill get that one from ya ;P , lmao but that one isnt goin to sink her fangs in me, like mine did. the realm of the poecilotherids are just awesome if your willing to spend the money

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
:? :? Jacen - have you looked at the online venders? I got my first pokies from Kelly and the Indian Ornamentals are only $25.

Gail
How small would those be?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I got two - one is about 1" and the other is about 1.25"

Gail

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi John,
We have 2 pokies. A Fringed that is about 2 inches, and a Regalis that is about 2.5 inches. They don't seem to be too aggressive yet. We had a Regalis that we ordered several months ago and we gave it to Becky. She is now about 7 inches and beautiful. That spider scared me a little. Ron likes the pokies, but I tend to stay away. Take care, Pam;)

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I sure love them.,and Lariz has a lot to do with that. If you buy them as babies they aren't that expensive and they really do grow fast. My ornata just shed today and she is well at 5" now. I am waiting on her to stay out so I can get a picture but she keeps hiding on me.:(

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail

Gail
Chris at Creepy Crawlies charges a lot for them. I do not want a tiny spiderling I am sick of rasing spiderlings. i like to have spiders that are atleast juvenile and those I would have to sell a kidney to buy.