Old Timer
Ok, who keeps this species?

What can you tell me about it?

Wanna post your pics?

Jon

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a platyomma, but I was under the impression it was Pamphobeteus, not Vitalius. Have I missed another name change or have I just got it all wrong? I'll try to post a picture tomorrow... she just molted last week and is looking really nice right now.

Botar

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Botar you are right! It was changed to Pamphobetus! Awsome sp.! Also known as the Brazilian Pinks!

James

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The previously mentioned platyomma.

Botar

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As far as I know, Vitalius platyomma was listed as Nomina dubia and I don't think that it has been formally moved into the genus Pamphobeteus. Most people in the hobby currently list it as Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma".

Whatever the case may be, it is a very impressive species. I have 2 females that went from a couple inches to over 6" in about a year. They are both presently around 7". I've read reports of them getting to over 9".

This is one of my females...

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is my 2" sling.

Dennis

ps. JP v. 1.0, do you also have pictures of a male platyomma?

Attachments

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Are they docile? Do they eat tons? I WANT ONE, they are beautiful!

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ps. JP v. 1.0, do you also have pictures of a male platyomma? [/B][/QUOTE]

No, both of my males are immature. I think one of them will mature with his next molt, because you can cleary see a starburst pattern on his carapace as well as iridescent streaks on his legs and chelicerae. After his last molt, I had to double check for palpal bulbs! I'll try to post some pics of him in a few days.

I have seen a pic of a mature male and it was outrageously colorful.

John

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Are they docile? Do they eat tons? I WANT ONE, they are beautiful!

I would definitely not describe mine as docile. Mine are skittish and somewhat defensive. They have very robust appetites.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a pic of a mature male from Alex Sergyeev. I don't have his email address to ask to post this, but it's so damn nice I thought I would anyway. Full credit goes to Alex for taking a shot of this beautiful secies.

Attachments

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
As far as I know, Vitalius platyomma was listed as Nomina dubia and I don't think that it has been formally moved into the genus Pamphobeteus. Most people in the hobby currently list it as Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma".
At the moment it doesn't sit in any genus even though it was officially described by Mello-Leitão in 1923 as Pamphobeteus platyomma. I was transferred incorrectly into Vitalius by Lucas, Silva & Bertani in 1993, but is Nomina dubia at present, as JP has already said.

Cheers,
Steve

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I think if I had one, I might hope that it would be a male. In some instances the males are so much prettier than the females. Of course they don't live as long so that is definetly a bummer.:) Pam

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's my (just under 4") monster. It's in pre-molt actually so we'll have some fresh new colors to show off soon. Not sure of the sex yet since it has not molted before in my care. I agree with Pam. It pretty much doesn't matter if you have a male or female of this sp. There's something to look foreward to either way. Female=breeding opportunity, Male=one of the most frikkin' amazing display T's there is to look at!

Atrax

Attachments

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Steve Nunn, is that picture doctored by any chance? If not, wow...I have never seen a T like that!

Bry

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bry
Steve Nunn, is that picture doctored by any chance? If not, wow...I have never seen a T like that!

Bry
Hi Bry,
Nope, that's the true colors, nice heh?

Steve