Who is your most stubborn rehouse?

cheesepizza

Arachnopeon
My m. robustum is a ROCK... Once I dig him up he refuses to move and I swear his toes are glued down. I had to resort to lifting up one leg at a time to encourage some movement. I've tried the water method in the past and it just ended up as a sloppy mess.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
What's the feasibility of just putting the small enclosure inside the large enclosure, and letting the T transfer when it damn well pleases?

cheesepizza

Arachnopeon
I had to rehouse him to another enclosure of the the same size. I saw some mold/fungus that the springtails wouldn't eat.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Got it. Maybe there's a way to put the enclosure openings face to face. I figure sooner or later you'll find your T in the new enclosure. Anyway, whatever works. I've seen a lot of rehouse videos, and I always get the impression there's got to be a stress-free way to do it. Something that doesn't require much human intervention.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
My T. vagans was thee worse one to do a rehouse for. Unpredictable, most skittish T I ever experienced and just a butthead. I'm glad I don't have to rehouse it anymore.

Just rehoused my 3 inch dls P. irminia and that was wayyyyyy easier than my T. vagans ever was.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
my C.darlingi is the least cooperative, which is understandable for a creature being kept inside a cage

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I had a p. sazimai female that would threat pose and flick hairs anytime I went into her cage.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
What's the feasibility of just putting the small enclosure inside the large enclosure, and letting the T transfer when it damn well pleases?
Lol I asked this same question a little while back and then tested it, and both the response from everyone else, and the evidence supported by the tarantula: Old enclosure = New hide in the new enclosure. "Ohhhh thanks for the new view, but nah, bro, I'm good in here"
My m. robustum is a ROCK... Once I dig him up he refuses to move and I swear his toes are glued down. I had to resort to lifting up one leg at a time to encourage some movement. I've tried the water method in the past and it just ended up as a sloppy mess.
I have a shiny new enclosure for a n. coloratovillosus sling (dare I say juvenile at this point) aaaaaaaaaand... I can't do it. I'm terrified of her. For a sling as fat as she is, she's wicked fast and absolutely loco, like she'll hide, and then pop out with legs lifted, and I chicken out every time. Maybe liquid courage would help. No, no, no, bad idea, nevermind.

Last edited:

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
H. longipes or P. irminia, both of them bolted and refused to go in the catch cups, when I finally got my longipes into their enclosure they ran out and jumped off the table twice, this happened 3 times before I finally managed to get them to stay in their enclosure and close the lid

joossa

Arachnobaron
Sometimes, my 1in B. albicpes slings refuse to move into a catch cup when I am rehousing them. Haha. Like they are super glued in place. Funny little babies.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
h sp columbia lg was a pita for all its rehouses as a tiny sling always escaping other was my t vagans it was just so mellow and never wanted to move into a catch cup by brush or over the lid once i had a cup over it just refused to move

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Without a doubt, my most difficult rehouse was my Chilobrachys. Fast, defensive, and escaped down the drain as a juvenile (it's a long story....but i caught him again). I nearly pooped my pants I was so surprised. Learned a lot from that experience though.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Separating Barylestis scutatus slings was hell. Fast without end, also the beasts run without taking a break. I needed almost 2 hours for 20 animals.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G. porteri. So stubborn. Won't flick, won't threat pose or slap. Just doesn't want to budge. Takes a fair bit of prodding for her to move about.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Funny enough, my most frustrating so far has been my female N. incei. I prefer ones that like to bolt around, since they seem to run right into the catch cup and freeze and it’s fast and done. With my N. incei, she’s so docile (for lack of a better term I guess) that she just doesn’t hardly move when being prodded with a brush. When she does, it’s like two slow, methodical steps forward and she stops again, it’s pretty cute but can take longer to get her where I want her to go. It’s funny how they’re said to be fast and bolty, where mine is as you describe during rehousing. Food is another story, that’s where I see the speed 🤣

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Aviculariinae, they ofen just refuse to budge, when they're not refusing to budge they're refusing to go where you want them to, occasionally they'll mix it up a little by poop sniping you for having the audacity to rehouse them.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not T's but another mygalomorph that I always dread rehousing is Australothele nambucca. Any curtain web keepers will probably understand

Jess S

Arachnobaron
H. longipes or P. irminia, both of them bolted and refused to go in the catch cups, when I finally got my longipes into their enclosure they ran out and jumped off the table twice, this happened 3 times before I finally managed to get them to stay in their enclosure and close the lid
My first thought was Holothele longipes. Transfering one I was rearing out of a vial it outgrew to a sling enclosure . Omg, what a bolty nightmare . I knew they were fast but I obviously hadn’t appreciated HOW fast they can be. I cringe to this day, just think whack a mole with a catch cup….

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
My first thought was Holothele longipes. Transfering one I was rearing out of a vial it outgrew to a sling enclosure . Omg, what a bolty nightmare . I knew they were fast but I obviously hadn’t appreciated HOW fast they can be. I cringe to this day, just think whack a mole with a catch cup….
I got mine as a juvenile in St. Louis, I drove nearly 4 hours to go to and then stayed at an aunt/uncles house. When I brought them home from the expo I opened their container and they ran out immediately, this was in front of my uncle who luckily for me somehow did not notice, for nearly ten minutes it ran over the table and then would jump off and I would catch it, it would run up my arm and ohhh man, it was just awful, my aunt was scared of them too so I’m so lucky that they didn’t know that had happened