Who is experienced with Ornithoctoninae sp.hon sej ?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
It's becoming more apparent here that you can't ask a question here without snobbish ridicule. I honestly already knew before I asked.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
So you're literally admitting to just trolling then?
More than likely won’t see much of it.
T
It may be, or it may be not. That’s something you can’t predict, but to observe.
Yeah, I think your right. I know it's an Asian arboreal. Probably moisture dependent. I'm thinking I'll keep it 75° to 80° I couldn't find out much about it but I felt I had to get one before they sold.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They're fossorial, you can pretty much expect it to behave like any other fossorial species from the Ornithoctoninae subfamily (Ornithoctonus/Cyriopagopus*/etc.)

*Note that any undescribed arboreal species labelled Cyriopagopus (sp. "Valhalla"/sp. "Hati Hati"/etc. is mislabelled, Cyriopagopus is a fossorial genus)

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
They're fossorial, you can pretty much expect it to behave like any other fossorial species from the Ornithoctoninae subfamily (Ornithoctonus/Cyriopagopus*/etc.)

*Note that any undescribed arboreal species labelled Cyriopagopus (sp. "Valhalla"/sp. "Hati Hati"/etc. is mislabelled, Cyriopagopus is a fossorial genus)
I noticed my sling made a dirt turret like my E. cyanognathus

I just got this tiny guy 2 weeks ago. He's has a great appetite. He has taken confused flour beetle larva and tiny meal worms. This give me more confidence and less worry about this tiny dirt hole.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I noticed my sling made a dirt turret like my E. cyanognathus
Ephebopus are a good primer for people looking into acquiring Asian fossorials down the line seeing as they basically have the same care as/similar speed and temperament to Asian fossorials but without the venom potency. But yeah, my cyanognathus male built a similar structure to the one created by my O. aureotibialis male below.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Ephebopus are a good primer for people looking into acquiring Asian fossorials down the line seeing as they basically have the same care as/similar speed and temperament to Asian fossorials but without the venom potency. But yeah, my cyanognathus male built a similar structure to the one created by my O. aureotibialis male below.

Really great picture of a stunning spider.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It's becoming more apparent here that you can't ask a question here without snobbish ridicule. I honestly already knew before I asked.
I'm asking a question and receiving no answer. Why do you guys even rely?
Yes, you can ask questions, but first do your research before getting anything, if not you will get "snobbish answers". Buying and then asking it's a great way to kill a T, asking before buying it makes you a more responsible and a better keeper.

It's a different thing to learn and then ask your questions than saying I bought it without adquiring any knowledge about them, that last thing it is a pretty arrogant and disrespectful actitude toward the animal you are going to keep. So don't expect friendly answers with that kind of behaviour.

Answering you that way it's not a snobbish or elitist attitude, It's an honest and direct approach to a bad behaviour from our part that usually ends badly for the T.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I haven't heard of Ornithoctoninae sp. Hon Sej either up until recently. They're absolutely gorgeous though with their orange and blue coloration. Doing a Google search for this tarantula reveals absolutely nothing about it. Just a bunch of YouTube videos and listings of them for sale on various web sites. The only source I could find about their habits in captivity, except for a couple of posts here on AB, were in a couple of YouTube video descriptions which state they are fossorial and that's it.

This highlights a huge problem with the American tarantula retailer/ supplier that has been going on for as long as I have been keeping tarantulas. They sell all of these exotic new species, but don't provide any information on where they were originally collected, what their habits are in nature, and nothing on what they need in captivity. One would think a new species to the American or European pet trade would have a short list of people between the ones who first collected them from the wild, those who bred and raised them from spiderlings, and the American importer so detailed information about them should be easily obtainable. Either the retailer has no idea what they are selling or they are choosing a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to sharing information. Either way, it shouldn't be up to the retail customer to figure out how to care for something by trial and error. I get it if a seller is only posting their stock list on the classifieds section of forum web sites, but there is no excuse for those selling from a proper website.

Here are my questions about it. Hopefully someone can answer them.

Where does Ornithoctoninae sp. Hon Sej occur in nature?
When and where were they originally collected?
Were the original wild collected specimens found in hole in the ground, on a tree, under a rock, or what?
Has any attempt to identify Ornithoctoninae sp. Hon Sej to genus been made? If so, what makes it different, other than by color, from all other genera in the subfamily Ornithoctoninae?
What does "Hon Sej" mean anyhow?

Last edited:

su3cl3a8

Arachnopeon
Where does Ornithoctoninae sp. Hon Sej occur in nature?
When and where were they originally collected?
For now most of us only know they are from Vietnam. Earlier this year I was placing an order to a local exporter/seller, which were other Ornithoctoninae spp and Haplopelma spp, I too asked for the collected locations, Although I expressed my intent was solely for breeding and hopefully contribute to taxonomy, the seller seemed reluctant to disclose these information for obvious reasons.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
For now most of us only know they are from Vietnam. Earlier this year I was placing an order to a local exporter/seller, which were other Ornithoctoninae spp and Haplopelma spp, I too asked for the collected locations, Although I expressed my intent was solely for breeding and hopefully contribute to taxonomy, the seller seemed reluctant to disclose these information for obvious reasons.
Knowing that they are found in Vietnam is good enough I suppose. One can never expect exact location details. My complaint is more with the lack of natural history details or general captive care information from the people selling them. As new species are introduced to the pet market, you would think the fist questions someone would ask before importing them for resell would be: "where do the come from", "how do they live in nature,", and/ or "how do I effectively take care of it?" and include it on their web store.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Knowing that they are found in Vietnam is good enough I suppose. One can never expect exact location details. My complaint is more with the lack of natural history details or general captive care information from the people selling them. As new species are introduced to the pet market, you would think the fist questions someone would ask before importing them for resell would be: "where do the come from", "how do they live in nature,", and/ or "how do I effectively take care of it?" and include it on their web store.
completely agree 100% - at least we’ve been able to establish that they originate from Vietnam

i think this combined with their scientific categorization we could assemble a rough assumption outline of their environmental conditions and thus care

eg: median temp range in Vietnam is 70-85F, median humidity is 74-75%, and it being within the Ornithoctoninae genus we could assume that it is a fossorial species

actual, documented information would be ideal but at least there’s this?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
completely agree 100% - at least we’ve been able to establish that they originate from Vietnam

i think this combined with their scientific categorization we could assemble a rough assumption outline of their environmental conditions and thus care

eg: median temp range in Vietnam is 70-85F, median humidity is 74-75%, and it being within the Ornithoctoninae genus we could assume that it is a fossorial species

actual, documented information would be ideal but at least there’s this?
Ornithoctoninae is a subfamily with species that are both fossorial and arboreal. Species of the genera Phormingochilus and Omothymus are arboreal. If you have a picture of adults of a species only identified to the subfamily then you could guess whether it is arboreal or terrestrial by the width of the tarsi and metatarsi: wide would indicate arboreal, narrow fossorial. There is always a chance such a guess would be false since the genus Ephebopus would be assumed to be arboreal since it has wide metatarsi and tarsi, but everyone knows it is fossorial because natural history information is available on species of Ephebopus.