who here has thought about this?

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Who here is starting to get a pretty heavy collection and has thought about retailing a few of their T's and slings? Anyone having any success at making a few bucks doing the hobby they love? Whats your over all monthly costs? can you write them off? I am not talking about a full time gig. Just buying a bit of wholesale and doing a bit of breeding then having a little side bidness?? any thoughts ? remember I am not talking about anything the scale of say "K Swift" just something fun and small that would cover its own costs...

your friend-
looseyfur
e.:D

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not me.. I'm too busy with school and other stuffs. I have 9 Ts and 8 out of 9 are spiderlings. So I can't breed them but I don't know if I want to.. If I do.. what am I going to do with 150 spiderlings :)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
One of the few nice things remaining in our tax code is the "small business deduction"... basically, you're entitled to start a home-based business doing anything you want.... selling T's? Sure, why not... ANY costs associated purely with doing business are able to be taken off your pre-tax income directly. If you incur a loss (which would probably be smart to do on purpose just for the extra tax breaks) you can write that off your pre-tax too.

All that being said, talk to a tax attorney... there are a lot of hidden benefits to starting a home-based business, even if you don't wan to pursue it heavily.

I think the general consensus on micro-operations of this kind is that sure, you might make a FEW dollars here and there, but unless you're willing to attack it like a part/full time job (Swift, Hoke, et. al.) you're not going to realize any significant income from it. The costs associated with time, supplies, and massive amounts of crickets, to name a few things, will make the line between hobbyist and dealer hard to cross. I can' really think of a good way to go about it half-assed. You either have to do it right, or just be content to sell off a couple of extra spiders every so often.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I tried to do this several months ago. I was highly unsuccessful, and eat a HUGE chunk out of my wallet. I think I sold five tarantulas in four months. Those were all sold to personal friends.

I rencetly pawned off 40 of the other ones to a local pet shop that deals in tarantulas. I didn't get a quater of what I paid in the first place (let alone supplies and food for them all!).

It's very risky, but it can be done. Just be aware that chances are that you won't make any money.

-Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an interest in this as well, but my approach is a bit different. I'd like to do some breeding, raise the slings and then sell them to pet stores at whole sale prices. I'm not really looking to turn over enough to make a profit, just a way for my hobby to kind of partially fund itself. I've done the same thing with blue crawfish and it has worked out well. Another option would be to breed and sell the offspring to dealers. Might be an interesting way to expand your personal collection via trades with dealers while progressing in the hobby at the same time.

Botar