Who here feels the same way?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
More aggressive species= more I want to purchase and raise them.

Less aggressive species= dont really want to purchase them.

for instance, I'll gladly purchase a Haplo before a Grammastola.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I' d actually rather purchase the ones I can handle. Not ready for the aggressive ones as of now. Maybe in the future. :D

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Me too, but not on purpose. I usually go for coloration and what not, and my faves just happen to be more defensive by nature. Lol, my boyfriend is the same way.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I get the best of both worlds. My Carlsbad Greens are docile calm juvies, and wickedly mean adults. Just ask anyone at Arachnocon. {D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Me too, but not on purpose. I usually go for coloration and what not, and my faves just happen to be more defensive by nature. Lol, my boyfriend is the same way.
and it just so happens that the ones with the best colors are also the most aggressive. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I'm guessing there's a correlation between vibrant colors and aggressive nature.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I get what I want regardless of aggressive. But anyone that knows me will say that I go for gammastolas or brachypelmas.

It has nothing to do with aggressive.

But it does have to do with what I want.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
and it just so happens that the ones with the best colors are also the most aggressive. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I'm guessing there's a correlation between vibrant colors and aggressive nature.

I think you are incredibly mistaken on this. There are a number of very docile yet very colorful tarantulas. For example: GBBs, Davus/Cyclosternum fasciatum, Brachypelmas, Aphonopelma moderatum, Aphonopelma bicoloratum, Avicularia versicolor. I could go on, but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

That also leaves null and void the second part of your post, concerning the "correlation".

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't mind if a T is aggressive or not, but I think the majority of the most beautiful T's are the most dangerous, i.e.: Poecilotheria spp., Heteroscodra maculata, Stromatopelma calceatum, Pterinochilus spp., etc...

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Defensive for one, and do you have a species list we can discuss?

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't mind if a T is aggressive or not, but I think the majority of the most beautiful T's are the most dangerous, i.e.: Poecilotheria spp., Heteroscodra maculata, Stromatopelma calceatum, Pterinochilus spp., etc...

Hmm... beautiful= high contrasting marking or lots of colors?

Avicularia versicolor for example is a color maniacs dream, and is not considered defensive at all.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bet if you painted a tarantula some funky colors it would get pretty pissed.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like patterned Ts like geniculata, smithi, pokies, etc. but will buy either docile/defensive Ts, regardless of pattern/color, just depends on what I want. Theres really no correlation of strikingly marked/patterned = agressive/ potent venom, versus overall one-color Ts like obt's. For example, I like avics, which are pretty Ts, but have mild dispositions. Obt's are pretty, but defensive, strong venom, and smithis are strikingly patterned, but are docile. I DO think the pokie startle bands, like the regalis yellow bands, are a warning to predators, like insect yellow. But thats one of the few correlations I think.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
More aggressive species= more I want to purchase and raise them.

Less aggressive species= dont really want to purchase them.

for instance, I'll gladly purchase a Haplo before a Grammastola.
nope...I buy ones that interest me, defensive or not (see my "article" in the article forum...please :) )

some of the less defensive species have interesting features that defensive ones don't have...and if you limit yourself to only defensive species you're missing out

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm with TheDarkFinder on this. I get what I want. Defensiveness does not have any bearing on whether I purchase the T or not. The T just has to catch my eye by way of it's living envirenment, color, size or availability. There are other reasons I consider but those are the main ones.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you are incredibly mistaken on this. There are a number of very docile yet very colorful tarantulas. For example: GBBs, Davus/Cyclosternum fasciatum, Brachypelmas, Aphonopelma moderatum, Aphonopelma bicoloratum, Avicularia versicolor. I could go on, but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

That also leaves null and void the second part of your post, concerning the "correlation".
all a matter of opinion i suppose. i think the majority of those species' colors are boring.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I get what I like. I have to admit, one of my top fave T's is a GBB, and they aren't nasty. They are extremely interesting to keep because of their appetites and webbing.
My second fave is a G. pulchra, classic black is stunning, next I think, would be my pokies.
So, no. Your statement doesn't apply to my personally.
The most defensive T's that I have are my T. apophysis and probably my Singapore blue, who are both still slings. I like them, they are both very pretty. Their defensive attitudes don't really apply, although I do like watching them hunt, especially the apophysis. That little dude can really move!!!!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so you guys are calling them "defensive" and not "aggressive." could you please explain the difference more because I consider all T's to be defensive.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not feel the same one bit I love Tarantulas not just my favourite one's.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
so you guys are calling them "defensive" and not "aggressive." could you please explain the difference more because I consider all T's to be defensive.
edesign has an article in the articles section that brilliantly explains that. the long and short of it is that defensive means they defend their turf and agressive t would actually be oen that left its enclosure intentionally to bite you... defensive will bite to defend against your intrusion into its turf.

I do hope to some day find a truly agressive tarantula that would rock. The thign keeps trying to get out so it can attack you lol bwahhahhahaha