Who here feels the same way?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't want to start arguing as I agree with these definitions but I just wanted to throw this out as food for thought. To determine if the T is acting out of aggressive or defensive behavior, can we go by what definition thier reactions fall under alone or do we also have to know their perception on the situation that caused the reaction. If the latter is the case, how do we know what the T's perception is? There is no way we can know what they are thinking so I don't think anyone knows for sure if it's defensive or aggressive behavior. 99 times out of a hundred, I believe it is defensive but theres that one time, every now and then, that the actions you get, do not make any sense and were unprovoked. Like I said, it's just a thought.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I started in this hobby I was fascinated with the more "agressive" tarantulas out there. People were talking about how they had demons in their homes. Usually Lividum or murinus.

I have since then learned that no tarantula is defensive or "aggressive" enough to awe me anyways. In fact, I can't say any of my...well ok, the scolopendras possibly...but not any of my other 50 T's and scorps are overly defensive. Or bolting the homes I give them. Or biting my tools. Or anything else really. Just being lovely T's with good apetite. Yes, they might get scared when I fumble with the lid, or poke around to much for boluses and what not.

So what do I like? I like an aggressive eater. A tarantula who relentlessly takes prey and is always up for another meal. Colors on that is a plus ;)

So my favorites currently are those classic noob Tarantulas; A. Geniculata, L. Parahybana, T. Blondi and P. Cancerides.

Most beautiful atm; P. Irmina, C. Fimbriatus, C. Fasciatum and som of the Pterinochilus's.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't really care if they are aggressive or not - i like colour, interesting behaviour, visibility and nice patterns. so i have brachys as well as pokies. i do not have obligate burrowers - i like nice looks, but i like to see them ;)
i'm in this boat. i have a few burrowers (h. lividum, m. robustum, etc) but i definitely prefer visable and attractive (either physically or behaviorally).

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and it just so happens that the ones with the best colors are also the most aggressive. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I'm guessing there's a correlation between vibrant colors and aggressive nature.
Come on, Poecilotherias have the most beautiful colors and they are not very aggressive or defensive.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Come on, Poecilotherias have the most beautiful colors and they are not very aggressive or defensive.
i will agree on the color bit, but don't they have some mad venom? furthermore, aren't they highly defensive? i thought that holding pokies was something not exactly recommended.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They have THE most potent venom. However, they are generally more skittish than aggressive. Of course it's not recommended to handle them because of the venom (and the speed), but I can honestly say that any of my new world Ts, except my avic, are more aggressive than my pokies.

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
As I started in this hobby I was fascinated with the more "agressive" tarantulas out there. People were talking about how they had demons in their homes. Usually Lividum or murinus.

I have since then learned that no tarantula is defensive or "aggressive" enough to awe me anyways. In fact, I can't say any of my...well ok, the scolopendras possibly...but not any of my other 50 T's and scorps are overly defensive. Or bolting the homes I give them. Or biting my tools. Or anything else really. Just being lovely T's with good apetite. Yes, they might get scared when I fumble with the lid, or poke around to much for boluses and what not.

So what do I like? I like an aggressive eater. A tarantula who relentlessly takes prey and is always up for another meal. Colors on that is a plus ;)

So my favorites currently are those classic noob Tarantulas; A. Geniculata, L. Parahybana, T. Blondi and P. Cancerides.

Most beautiful atm; P. Irmina, C. Fimbriatus, C. Fasciatum and som of the Pterinochilus's.

YES .. I couldn't Agree more..

I'll add S. calceatum and H. maculata to that list..

So my tastes lean towards the Africans .. but I'm slowly learning to appreciate the NW's as well.

kimski

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want them all... I guess I go for the more colorful ones... but my P. irmina is the best of both words.... she's defensive (as she should be!) and very, very colorful and pretty. Must get more!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They have THE most potent venom. However, they are generally more skittish than aggressive. .
'
Eh, maybe.

You've also got to consider S. calceatum, among others, that have venom that is "hotter" (in terms of tarantulas only).

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am very new to this hobby.I have been reading this forum,books and looking at sites that sell T.s.I have 6 T.s now. My most aggressive,(if you want to call it that),would be my A. Genic.I have basically found that I do not want any T.s that I rarely see,I have an A. Seemani that I have only seen a couple times,I am going to try my best to avoid that in the future.As far as color goes,even though I have some colorfull ones I also appricate the subtle beauty of the less colorfull ones.For instance my B. Albop. is one of my faves,I love the contrast between the black and the long liight brown hairs.My next spider will probably be an aboreal one,or possibly a Green Bottle Blue,if i can find a decent priced one of any size.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More aggressive species= more I want to purchase and raise them.

Less aggressive species= dont really want to purchase them.

for instance, I'll gladly purchase a Haplo before a Grammastola.
What is the attraction to "aggressive" species?

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The attraction maybe just behaviour - they react to whats going on and are busy (webbing, burrowing etc), and so are more entertaining. I like my Haplopelmas (lividum and schmidti) best. They have tall narrow tanks. When hungry they hang out the top of their volcanic constructions they have made, and when they are not I can track them right down their burrows which twist and turn right around the tanks.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More aggressive species= more I want to purchase and raise them.

Less aggressive species= dont really want to purchase them.

for instance, I'll gladly purchase a Haplo before a Grammastola.
Not realy my way of thinking.

For me It's

No urticating hair= I buy
Urticating hair= I don't buy(except a few exceptions)

Last edited:

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now that I've been keeping spiders for almost 2 years and I have a few non beginner species (T. blondi, H. lividum, H. maculata, S. calceata), if I get more they're probably going to be species I know someone else could care for in the event of my untimely death or if I had to spend a few months in a body cast.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think if you are buying a tarantula based on its temperment u have your priorities mixed up and mabey should re-think why your in this hobby

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think if you are buying a tarantula based on its temperment u have your priorities mixed up and mabey should re-think why your in this hobby

Thats kind of silly. Everyone had different priorities. I think its wise to consider an animals temperment before you purchase it. Your pets attitude should suit your wants, and needs. I kinda wish people would do that more often actually, then maybe less dogs would end up dropped off at the pound because the owner didnt want them anymore.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not me, I like variety. I have some of each. But you get what you like. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things and thought the same way! As I always say VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!