Who Has A Trapdoor Spider?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was just wanting to find out if anyone keeps a trapdoor spider.
If you do, how do you have its vivarium set up?
Do you only get to see it if some unsuspecting cricket hobbles over a trip line, or does it come out occaisionally?
Agressiveness?
Defensiveness?
Anything else?

Big Dragonfly

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, I have one. It's in a tall critter keeper and is 3/4 full of substrate. I made a hole to get her started but she made her own after two days. It was quite cool. She has it all webbed on the inside and made her top door out of webbing and dirt. Mine doesn't come out if she does then I always miss it. She doesn't act real aggresive when I bought her and switched her cage. I posted a pic. at the other arachnids forum if you want to see her.

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
I have many species of trapdoor, tunneling, and purseweb spiders. Currently I have about 40 specimens of Trapdoors and I keep them in 12" tall cylindrical containers with about 9" of substrate with the exception of the California species. The California coastal trapdoors that I have are kept in 10 gallon terrariums full of sand and potting soil with a nice slope. I never see my trapdoors unless I am changing substrate. With the exception of seeing them peeking out of their burrows late at night. They are mean as hell and most definitely should never be handled. With that said, they are the most primitave spiders on the planet. With some species having segmented abdomens!!! If you are looking for an armor-plated-living-arachnid-fossil, then I would recomend Trapdoor spiders. By far the coolest spiders I have ever kept.

Big Mike

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Hi, I have one. It's in a tall critter keeper and is 3/4 full of substrate. I made a hole to get her started but she made her own after two days. It was quite cool. She has it all webbed on the inside and made her top door out of webbing and dirt. Mine doesn't come out if she does then I always miss it. She doesn't act real aggresive when I bought her and switched her cage. I posted a pic. at the other arachnids forum if you want to see her.
I read somewhere if you put a glass or something similiar in the middle of the substrate the trap door spider will be forced to build its burrow along the perimeter of its enclosure where you can view it..........anyone try this?
Ed

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
I have tried several different methods of getting them to burrow against the glass. If you are creative, you will be able to pull it off. I usually just start the burrow against the glass for them. Some of them go for it, and some dont. But its definitely a neat thing to observe them through the glass.

Mike