Who else here handles from time to time?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I was at a reptile zoo not so long ago and they hold animal interactions every hour or so, one of them was a tarantula.

We were actually allowed handle the species, it was a T. Albo, children weren't allowed but the adults were, a keeper was passing it from person to person, it was very sketchy if im honest and at one point the T jerked and kind of jumped onto a fellas jumper. lucky he didn't panic.

Im surprised they are willing to do this, seems like an accident waiting to happen.
from my experience T Also are a horrid choice for that sort of thing. Although docile and rarely a bite threat, they can get jumpy and they have a good burst of speed (followed by a rest) and experience handler will let it run and then address it after it stops to rest.
With someone without experience that burst can cause a flinch which can be fatal to the T. For that sort of purpose probably a G Pulchripes would be the best bet. You want something SLOW and chill

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have only handled my female G.rosea and only when she wanders around the top of her enclosure— I’ll open the lid and she’ll come slowly out onto my hand. She’s always been very very calm (like a pillow) — she’ll move around a bit and then settle. My other T’s? ....no.

TreMul

Arachnopeon
When I was a kid, I did all the time, but eventually I was educated on why you shouldn't. However, i screwed up the other nite and had my Rosie out and she bolted, which ended with a ruptured abdomen. I knew better but didn't think anything of it. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I have a (possibly) dying girl

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Personally no, I have quite a few that come charging out the second they feel movement from me touching their enclosure or the change in air pressure opening the lid. The rest seem to be part of the T track team, laps and laps over ANYTHING!

A guy I know still insists his T's enjoy handling, claims one or two deliberately seek attention from him..........No matter how often I explain this is not the case.
He now doesn't handle in front of me :rofl: but then proceeded to have his C. versi jump off him from standing height 2x in front of a mutual friend in one session :banghead::banghead:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
As a recovered insect and arachnophobe, the thought of handling a ‘giant spider’ would have made me twitch violently back in the day! :rofl:

I was able to overcome my significant fear of spiders by gradually exposing myself (not like that :lol:) to tarantulas in the local reptile shop. I am now very fascinated by and fond of them.

Because they are mostly hairy and relatively large, I kind of view them as ‘small animals’ - rather than ‘bugs’. And, recently, I have found myself feeling a very slight urge to hold them.

Of course I won’t. Ever. :stop:

I think, in reality, it would freak me out. Plus, I won’t risk it for the safety of my animals!

Last edited:

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
I honestly value mine to much to risk holding, I'm only in the hobby about a year now but it's blatantly obvious that they ain't for handling.

Even my "beginner" species are all very unpredictable, I have a T. albo that darts around the enclosure when I disturb it, today when I was refilling her water dish she was crazy, going for the water, the paint brush and darting around.

I have others who are the same, not as bad as her but still far too erratic to risk handle, they can all move so fast when they want to, even NW species, that the risk of one just jumping or sprinting off your hand is far too high, at least for me anyway.

At times even my NW species startle me with how fast they can move.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
After 2 years of keeping tarantulas I decided to handle my G. porteri. It was cool and all but I didn't feel anything all that special so I put it back down and never handled any of them again.
I think I prefer to handle my geckos and doggo. For Ts, I enjoy more by just looking at them doing absolutely nothing.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Who revived this thread? Let it die. OP got in a high speed chase and posted about it online. Obviously a reckless and carefree individual. Darwin Awards nominee.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Hell even fish breeders pick there fish up to examine them from time to time. I found this pic of my old LP this was about 15yrs ago now! So what are you holding? Sorry had to pull it from my IG.. This is not a pic thread by the way it's a handling thread that can include pics to show you participating in the subject matter. View attachment 366692
I have held my aphonopelma semani before, I have heard many reasons why you shouldnt though.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
You don't listen to reason?
Why are you posting here?
I dont hold him anymore, because of what i learned, but I admit my experiences, everyone here is learning and becoming better keepers, I wouldn't discourage people to keep learning here, what good does that do?

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I dont hold him anymore, because of what i learned, but I admit my experiences, everyone here is learning and becoming better keepers, I wouldn't discourage people to keep learning here, what good does that do?
Yep, we should all be here to learn and become better keepers! :D

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Who revived this thread? Let it die. OP got in a high speed chase and posted about it online. Obviously a reckless and carefree individual. Darwin Awards nominee.
is there links involved?

also, i’m 100% against the handling of any species for any reason