Old Timer
Anybody familiar with these?

What are they?

Damp substrate, layer of moss, blondie tank

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look like Springtails. Do they hop around a bit? They arent really bad but they can get annoying. I would just to a substrate change and keep things a bit dryer. You may also keep them as they can clean up things. If they are springtails its really personal opinion if you want to keep them or get rid of them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I think they are springtails to, but good grief I have not seen that many before! I get them from time to time in and right around my water dishes but wow! That has to be the most I have ever seen!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
exactly how many is to many? these were the visible ones.
Perhaps moving day will moved up.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At the very worst they might cause your T you walk around a bit more out of irritation, but as said already they are pretty harmless. Drying out the tank and frequent water dish changes will rid you of them if you want.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for replies.

The blondie in question was going to moved to next larger enclosure in the near future, but it looks like it may happen earlier.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Consider yourself lucky ! I'm not sure what all that Gooey mess is that they are feeding on, but at least it's springtails and not mites.

You may want to increase your cage cleaning.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That gooey stuff is moist (er ah wet) sphagnum moss. It was layered over the peat moss substrate in an attempt to retain moisture levels. I'm guessing it worked to good. lol

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damp substrate, layer of moss, blondie tank

Springtails (order Collembola) are primitive little bugs. They come in a large range of colors and occur almost everywhere in the world. Even in the arctic. Most springtails are harmless only feeding on molds, decaying vegetation and algae. They are usually found under bark, ground litter and on the water. I wouldn’t say that a not well maintained habitat causes them…. they just happen especially in a swampy blondie tank. If anything they will clean it up. Like mother natures little clean up crew.

Steph

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Funny how at first glance they looked like little maggots, but once I took the photo and zoomed it in on the computer the little legs and antenea were noticable. Digital cameras are awesome, even cheap ones. lol

Once again thanks for replies.

I have heard of springtails, but never actually seen one til now.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Blondi in question

Thank you for making this thread Ottawaherp.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me.
I've been keeping this T. blondi REALLY wet, I increased the amount I watered his cage when winter was starting as the heater in my room really dries things out. I rehoused him in late December and he stayed down in his flowerpot until about 2 weeks ago.
I figured nothing good could come of the little white worms so I rehoused him this afternoon. There was much hissing and hair kicking but he has a lot more room to stretch his legs now. I watered the substrate in the new cage, but not as much and I mixed it in well enough that the dirt is moist but no area is flooded. And I gave him a slightly bigger water dish.
He certainly was indignant though. :D

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are very welcome. I know Blondie is the pride and joy of your collection.

I was just as curious as you were to find out what these were, and more so what condition caused them.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

I'm sure once settled in the new enclosure, Blondie will appreciate the change.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's odd, I've been keeping T's for over 20 years and have never had springtails show up in one of my tanks. I do have mushrooms growing in one now though {D

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would springtails keep mites away, since they would eat the same things?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
would springtails keep mites away, since they would eat the same things?
Springtails help keep away mights, but no guarentee. They'll compete for the same food. That being said, an established springtail colony would help prevent a mite infestation establishing. So springtails are a good thing !