White Wolf Spider, ID?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hello all,

I just got this gorgeous white wolf spider and it was listed as “Lycosidea” when I purchased it.
I was wondering if anyone would know the specific species name.

Thanks!
Don't know the name but hell fire she's stunning.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Hello all,

I just got this gorgeous white wolf spider and it was listed as “Lycosidea” when I purchased it.
I was wondering if anyone would know the specific species name.

Thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get her? Such a beauty, I'd love to get one myself.

As for species, you might want to look into the genus Ocyale. Without place of collection though, I don't know for sure as I'm not the best spider Id'er

CynthiasCreatures

Arachnopeon
I got her from Underground Reptiles, although I picked her up locally from their retail store. I can’t confirm if their online shipping is reliable.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I got her from Underground Reptiles, although I picked her up locally from their retail store. I can’t confirm if their online shipping is reliable.
Lucky you I've been going there for the past few weeks checking if they get one in... nice to see they did.

Last edited:

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I just asked the girl who works at the register and she brought one in for me. They’re good at bringing stuff in from the warehouse when you ask.
That worked, they were able to bring some in for me 🙂 Now if we could only figure out what they are. It's listed as Lycosidae sp.

CynthiasCreatures

Arachnopeon
That worked, they were able to bring some in for me 🙂 Now if we could only figure out what they are. It's listed as Lycosidae sp.
Haha yea, I came by early afternoon and sexed them for the shop. I needed males to breed my girl. Hopefully I can get some fun little white spiderlings!
Still have no clue what they are though lol.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Haha yea, I came by early afternoon and sexed them for the shop. I needed males to breed my girl. Hopefully I can get some fun little white spiderlings!
If you are able to get spiderlings, contact me if you need a home for them. I'd be happy to take one or two. :)

CynthiasCreatures

Arachnopeon
If you are able to get spiderlings, contact me if you need a home for them. I'd be happy to take one or two. :)
Absolutely! I also have another regal jumping spider eggsac I’m hoping is fertile if you’re interested in those as well. Honestly I’m not looking to get money from them so if I get a few you can probably take a couple (both wolf and jumper) for free if that interests you :)

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
That's awesome of you! It was pretty cool to see them sexed and labeled. I might try the same although I have zero experience breeding them.
Was told they like a sand dune environment with some occasional water/damp spot a few days a week (maybe you told them that too haha).
I also thought they were very close looking to the Hogna Miami wolf spider; they both have similar black patch under the abdomen.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Absolutely! I also have another regal jumping spider eggsac I’m hoping is fertile if you’re interested in those as well. Honestly I’m not looking to get money from them so if I get a few you can probably take a couple (both wolf and jumper) for free if that interests you :)
Oh that sounds nice! Thank you! DM me if you get them :D

CynthiasCreatures

Arachnopeon
That's awesome of you! It was pretty cool to see them sexed and labeled. I might try the same although I have zero experience breeding them.
Was told they like a sand dune environment with some occasional water/damp spot a few days a week (maybe you told them that too haha).
I also thought they were very close looking to the Hogna Miami wolf spider; they both have similar black patch under the abdomen.
I’m actually keeping mine on dry cocofiber. That way if they want to burrow they can, sand doesn’t hold up too well. But it doesn’t matter too much if you offer a nice hiding spot. I also have a water dish for each one (I use a tattoo ink well).

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
@CynthiasCreatures Please take a look at these links, and let me know your thoughts. There are pics in the links below as well.

Arctosa Littoralis (Beach Wolf Spider)
[Sighting but could not identify] http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2016/10/12/big-white-wolf-spider/
[Pic] http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Big.white_.wolf_.spider.facel_.jpg
[Beach Wolf Spider]
Arctosa littoralis is a fair-sized spider, mature males and females measuring 11- 15 millimeters in body length. Their sprawling legspan adds to their perceived size. Still, good luck spotting one if it isn’t moving. The camouflage of this species is amazingly effective. Mottled gray, brown, or nearly white, it blends in with the sandy substrate upon which it hunts.
[Bugguide] https://bugguide.net/node/view/1153721
[Gallery] https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?taxon_key=2147103

Potential variant from Madagascar?

I also found this for:
Geolycosa, which has some similar images as well:

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Eyes and shape of prosoma eliminate Geolycosa. Assuming this was found and collected in the US then Arctosa littoralis seems like a good bet.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I would be interested in wolf babies as well.