White telsons?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
(er, that's what they're called, right? The stinger :p)

Is there any reason why two of my three emperors have white telsons? (That's including the segment they're attached to) Sorry, I ain't so good with the technical terms.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Basically it squeezes down to this ;)...The white stuff is scorp poop...their anus is at the end of the last segment before the telson.

John
];')

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, the actual telson is white. It's not a residue or anything, it's the actual telson.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As do H. spinifer. Not "poop" in this instance, it's just the natural coloration of the scorp's vesicule (telson, bulbous section of the sting). The "poop" will be a light coating on the last couple segments of the cauda (tail) when seen in most cases. Some scorps of this species will have the solid white vesicule, whereas I have heard of some having it being black (I don't have any like this and seldomly see them). It is more common in young scorps, but does exist in adults as well.

adios,
edw. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have yet to see an H.spinifer, juvie or not, that has a white vesicle. All mine have black vesicles, as do every Heterometrus sp. I've seen. Have you had any progeny from white-vesicled adults? What colour were their vesicles?

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Hmmm...come to think of it all my H.spinifer have black vesicles too. I have had an emp with the white but never a H.spinifer.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very interesting, guys. I have never had one who's vesicule was blackened until at least, well after the molt had hardened. I think I only have one adult with the black vesicule. The other adult spiniferis I have, have a medium reddish-brown vesicule. I believe I have a pic of a scorplet with the white vesicule on Centralpets.com's photo section (once the scorp pictured matures to adulthood, it's vesicule will be the same color of it's mom's [being reddish-brown]). There is also a photo in Ann Webb's book (if I recal, you both have/had this book as well, for the pics *grins*) of a Heterometrus labeled as a longimanus with the solid white vesicule (page 5).

adios,
edw. :D