White T?

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One species to consider would be Brachypelma albiceps. The prosoma may not be blank white, more of a cream colour. It's the closest I can think of that would suit a new beginner. However, reading upon various threads, it's slow growth as slings may deter a newcomer from getting one.

Redscythe8833

Arachnopeon
No hard and fast rules - exceptions to all.

If said person only owned slow terrestrial NWs may not be the best idea.

Might need to get a very fast terrestrial NW / arboreal slow, then a fast arboreal.

Depends on the person.

My personal philosophy is slow but sure.

If you can’t handle a fast terrestrial NW which primarily uses the X and Y axis, you sure can’t handle an arboreal that is more nimble and goes XYZ.

And there’s NOTHING wrong with that.

Too many people see OWs as some rite of passage etc, they aren’t.
I dont necessarily see it at a rite of passage. Just my opinion, but I feel that many newbies like myself are drawn to the OWs for there esthetic. I also agree Viper no one should be just collecting slings just because they look visually appealing as adults,OW or NW.
Yeah I might get some backlash for this but I have had 3 NW for about a month now. They are healthy and eating all are still about .75.I just ordered a P regalis. This will be my first OW and I am new. But shatting myself during the unboxing is something I am going to have to experience at sometime.It comes down to have respect for what you actually have in front of you and not underestimating anything about it.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I might get some backlash for this but I have had 3 NW for about a month now. They are healthy and eating all are still about .75.I just ordered a P regalis. This will be my first OW and I am new. But shatting myself during the unboxing is something I am going to have to experience at sometime.It comes down to have respect for what you actually have in front of you and not underestimating anything about it.
Pokies have a some what unwarranted notoriety.
IME, their game plan is very consistent: run - threat pose - slap - bite. So you really have to corner one really hard and/or be very foolhardy and/or be rather clueless to get bitten.
They are fast but they run in bursts with very long pause between bursts. And their speed in my opinion is closer to Avic than OBT.

Case in point, I tried to tongs-feed by P.met and spooked it. It ran up the tank, out of the tank, down the tank, down the cabinet and ended up on the underside of the top side of the shelf below. It was fast, but my eyes were able to track it the entire way. Then it just stayed there for long enough for me to go fetch my catch cup.

And in case this helps you in anyway, don't use a paint brush to nudge a Pokie (or any T in my experience but I found it particularly bad with Pokies). It may trigger a feeding response.

Redscythe8833

Arachnopeon
I notice with all T's in general they will stop after the burst when running. Have you heard of any species actually biting while in the act of scurrying? I saw a video of someone handling a full adult T stirmi. The guy said he could feel her fangs brushing up against him she didnt threat pose or slap. I was just curious if she would actually just bite down while she walk walking around on his hand arm, or like most T's if they get defensive, stop threat pose, slap, bite?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but I feel that many newbies like myself are drawn to the OWs for there esthetic
no one buys a T they find ugly.

They are healthy and eating all are still about .75.I just ordered a P regalis
Good luck!

And their speed in my opinion is closer to Avic than OBT.
Having owned Pokis, OBTs and Avics. IME a Poki is closer to an OBT than a Avic. I don't know a soul who would write what you did but maybe your Pokis are geriatric in movement. There's not a single OW species that is closer in movement speed to an Avic vs another OW generally speaking Exceptions to everything, but exceptions are useless as they are not the norm.

I was just curious if she would actually just bite down while she walk walking around on his hand arm
This has happened to some people with different species.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
no one buys a T they find ugly.
*looks at C darlingi* Speak for yourself. But I bought two anyway because they were on sale!

Anyway, I wanted to say that Hapalotremus albipes has a lot of white on it and kind of looks like a little ghost when adult, according to the photos. I have a sling, and so far it's a fun little spider. It has a very good feeding response and is very active.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I notice with all T's in general they will stop after the burst when running. Have you heard of any species actually biting while in the act of scurrying? I saw a video of someone handling a full adult T stirmi. The guy said he could feel her fangs brushing up against him she didnt threat pose or slap. I was just curious if she would actually just bite down while she walk walking around on his hand arm, or like most T's if they get defensive, stop threat pose, slap, bite?
Yes, T's do things in bursts but Pokies tend to burst with very long pause between bursts, as compared to other OW. I have seen, for example, an H.mac did several bursts with barely a second of pause in between.
In practice, that means if a Pokie has stopped, you turn and pick up your catch cup, by them time you turn back, the T is still where you think it was. The H.mac for example, you turn and it may not be where you think it was by the time you turn back.

I haven't heart of a T biting while scurrying but I have seen a Thailand Black ran out of its burrow, slapped / bit the tongs and ran back into the burrow in rapid succession so that's a possibility.
(PS: that's why I have been telling anyone who thinks his/her life is too boring to get a Thailand Black. Guaranteed constant fear every tank maintenance.)

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Couldn’t you have just googled “white tarantula” and spared yourself these horrific stories of Pokies down pants and what not? I for one am glad you didn’t though