White T?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Wish I could walk up walls!

There’s a vid out there, think a Cobalt Blue, rehouse- guy loses it a bit, T races out like any Asian OW, ends up on top of vacuum cleaner handle!
Seen it!! :rofl: I'm sure it runs between his feet then up the vacuum lol. Either a cobalt or a H von worthi, can't remember exactly which.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Clean bath. Then I wet the sides down with the shower. 2 catch cups in the bath, 1 next to me. If the enclosure is big enough or if the tarantula is in a hide I take out any decor and water dish. Using tongs through a gap in the lid move the hide or gently encourage the tarantula out of the hide. Once the tarantula is out in the open take the lid completely off and gently but quickly place a plastic tub over the tarantula. Slide I lid under. Job done. Takes about 30 seconds max.

In fact I'll record the next one........................

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My AF OBT was gorgeous, fast, defensive.

There are reasons why certain OWs are given away as freebies besides their ease of breeding. They aren’t good reasons.
I think when someone has respect for
them, which I know you do, those reasons can be awesome reasons to keep them, but when they don’t it spells T R O U B L E.

Speaking of that when I went to pick up the psalmopoeus slings, I heard when their H. macs were .5in they were giving them away as freebies.... they said now that they are 1in they stopped
Giving them away cause now they could make money off them.

One handed please!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think when someone has respect for
them, which I know you do, those reasons can be awesome reasons to keep them, but when they don’t it spells T R O U B L E.

Speaking of that when I went to pick up the psalmopoeus slings, I heard when their H. macs were .5in they were giving them away as freebies.... they said now that they are 1in they stopped
Giving them away cause now they could make money off them.
That species should never be given away as a freebie to new OW owners, inexperienced etc.

Give away Ceratogyrus species.

Clean bath. Then I wet the sides down with the shower. 2 catch cups in the bath, 1 next to me. If the enclosure is big enough or if the tarantula is in a hide I take out any decor and water dish. Using tongs through a gap in the lid move the hide or gently encourage the tarantula out of the hide. Once the tarantula is out in the open take the lid completely off and gently but quickly place a plastic tub over the tarantula. Slide I lid under. Job done. Takes about 30 seconds max.

That’s basically what I do.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That’s basically what I do.
Best way. It's over with fast so the tarantula isn't getting over stressed (although obviously will be stressed) the tarantula is never in danger and you're really limiting your chances of getting bit.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Look at how much fun we're having.
Everyone learns at their own pace and for me or anyone else to tell you what yours is is crazy.
we are all just treading water.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Get an A. chalcodes and call it a day.

If you're REALLY feeling brave, and prefer arboreal P. pulcher is GORGEOUS and a great step between the NW and the OW.

With your admittance of lack of experience, I wouldn't even be googling OW yet.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

If you're REALLY feeling brave, and prefer arboreal P. pulcher is GORGEOUS and a great step between the NW and the OW.

I also wouldn't recommend a psalmopoeus to someone who hasn't kept any other arboreals yet. They're very fast.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I also wouldn't recommend a psalmopoeus to someone who hasn't kept any other arboreals yet. They're very fast.
I recommended the genus as a good step between someone who has kept NW arboreals like avics and such and is itching to get into OW is all. Maybe I should have made myself clearer. 👍

And even then my initial recommendation was an Aphanopelma species 😀

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yep. I'm a right porker and got this off my Bach Ma lass last night for just dropping a locust in for her.
Typical misreading an animals reaction. That response is obviously "For me? How sweet! Can I give you a hug?" :rolleyes:

When I need help, I have a friend that's borderline professional with the hobby that I can go to.
Poor little rich gal, what us wranglers call a 'stable princess' simply had to have a thoroughbred blue blood horse. She knew experienced wranglers that could help her.

Does this apply to Formula One racing? I watch Formula One racing, surely by now I have the experience to safely drive such a vehicle in a race!
thoroughbred blue blood = Formula One

Then came the running and screaming.
Wrangler A listens, mutters then hangs up the phone. Sighs, turns to wrangler B. "Nancy's horse is out again."
I ask, "JM? Collette?"
He shakes his head. "JM's out of town. That was Collette passing the buck to us."
I suggest we cut cards. He refuses. "I handled that sour at the dam. Your turn."
I ask, "Halter?" He shook his head.
Great. Just what I wanted. Spend the rest of the afternoon and on into the night trying to herd a chock full of oats full blown dragster back into it's stall without even the option of a rope.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Best way. It's over with fast so the tarantula isn't getting over stressed (although obviously will be stressed) the tarantula is never in danger and you're really limiting your chances of getting bit.
My Ts love having a container drop from the sky and surround them!! :)

S. calceatum 😉
They are cuddly as kittens!

we are all just treading water.
Not in your case. Based on your previous words here, some people you come in contact with may drown :cool:

Whereas the rest of us in this thread would intervene before someone may drown.

Big difference

Psalmo’s are not the first arboreal choice in a ladder system. I saw you’re subsequent posts.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Psalmo’s are not the first arboreal choice in a ladder system. I saw you’re subsequent posts.
Would I be wrong to assume that someone who has kept NW for a LONG TIME including arboreals, and wants to get into OW, would be wise to raise a Psalmo sp. as their final NW [including rehousing, etc.] before making the plunge?

Just always felt like Psalmos are almost half NW/half OW characteristic wise.

Not necessarily for the OP, but someone who has taken care of all sorts of NW including NW arboreals to "completion".

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would I be wrong to assume that someone who has kept NW for a LONG TIME including arboreals, and wants to get into OW, would be wise to raise a Psalmo sp. as their final NW [including rehousing, etc.] before making the plunge?
No hard and fast rules - exceptions to all.

If said person only owned slow terrestrial NWs may not be the best idea.

Might need to get a very fast terrestrial NW / arboreal slow, then a fast arboreal.

Depends on the person.

My personal philosophy is slow but sure.

If you can’t handle a fast terrestrial NW which primarily uses the X and Y axis, you sure can’t handle an arboreal that is more nimble and goes XYZ.

And there’s NOTHING wrong with that.

Too many people see OWs as some rite of passage etc, they aren’t.

The Snark

Old Timer
Too many people see OWs as some rite of passage
IMHO, proper progression would be, A, start with a H Venatoria. Release it (just open the lid/door usually is enough) and recapture unerringly by hand a couple dozen times. B. Get one of those king snakes that seems to be in a permanent hissy fit. Handle for a few weeks without once getting tagged. C. Chum it up with maybe a C. Atrox. for a week or two without a mishap then move up to a cotton mouth. You should be ready for just about any OW T by then but you could take a post grad course with a black mamba free ranging your collection room. That work? Sound about right?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
MOD NOTE

We're beyond done here.

Warnings have been handed out, and a few of you are on my watchlist. Enough of the trolling, and enough feeding the trolls. This is a legitimate thread that I don't want to lock, so I'm giving it one more chance. Drop it and move on.

The Snark

Old Timer
We're beyond done here.
Nod nods. You can lead a horse to water but.... Everybody is going to learn their own way. Speak your peace, the wisdoms you have gained, then move on. I'm extending my apologies in general as felt required for fanning some flames here.