white stuffs?

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok i am starting to get worried now.. i see some really small white crawlies in each and every tank of my T's, they're way too small to take a photo off but can be seen by the naked eye so would anyone here tell me what are they and will they do any harm ? where they come from and how do i get rid of them ?
thanks

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i saw one on my smithis back too..a lilblow and its gone..it came from the substrate i think..dun think ill be much harm..have seen em around before..just kee an eye out..

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, and if you see some on the ground that might be your T that ... "vomite" or reject this white stuff, I saw mine do it many time I still cant explain it but she seem's very healty ( at this period I was overfeeding her pretty much that can explain, I feed her less and she stoped ... this was a white liquid, anyway, I got in my vivarium walls too, I clean 'em when I see but ... I doubt they can be bad for the T, as mine dont move, its just a lil white spot ... I think its a little bit of mold, no mite in my situation

Last edited:

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds to me like it could be mites if the white things are crawling. They like moist conditions and spider prey remains. You might want to change the substrate if that's what they are.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mite Invasion...

It sounds like you have mites. These are a pain but can be controlled with cleaning out enclosures with hot water and mild detergent. Replacing the substrate with fresh peat will help combat the infestation.
Most T collectors will have mites now and then. Make sure your substrate isn't too wet or damp. This can evoke mites to multiply.
Good luck with this and let us know how you fare.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All the mites i ever seen were brown....but i guess there are prolly different species of mites....so it could be.

-Mattyb

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
yeah, and if you see some on the ground that might be your T that ... "vomite" or reject this white stuff, I saw mine do it many time I still cant explain it but she seem's very healty ( at this period I was overfeeding her pretty much that can explain, I feed her less and she stoped ... this was a white liquid, anyway, I got in my vivarium walls too, I clean 'em when I see but ... I doubt they can be bad for the T, as mine dont move, its just a lil white spot ... I think its a little bit of mold, no mite in my situation
That sounds like nematodes kirdec, you might want to get that checked. :?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i've been cleaning with a Q tips and some kleenex i'll see the progression of it, if I see 1 more spot i'll change substrate and do a big clean up

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are most likely mites.
To help prevent them,always remove uneaten cricket remains and maybe keep the substrate on the dry side while using a bigger water dish for humidity.If they get on your T, remove them with a cotton swab(q-tip) with petroleum jelly(vasoline) on it.Just gently dab them off.

Last edited by a moderator:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have lots of the little critters, whether they're mites or nematodes, do a complete substrate change, clean out the enclosure thoroughly with soap and hot water, then make sure to get off any that might be on your t. Don't "wait and see", your t might not survive it.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
I heard soap was very bad for T
Well, of course you don't use soap on the tarantula! Clean the enclosure thoroughly with soap and water, then rinse it until there is no soapy residue. Gently clean the t with a damp cotton swab to remove mites.

When I said "any", I meant "any parasites".

Last edited:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hehe yeah I was'nt talking soap on the T too, but on the glass, but I was'nt sure at all that was jsut a question not a bad compliment :embarrassed: :rolleyes: thx for the info

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Do they move fast or is their motion barely perceptable? If they are fast moving, with a shape longer than they are wide in and present on the substrate...particularly on moist sections...then they are most likely wood lice which are harmless and will actually help clean the enclosure of food particles(they will eat some mites too)...If they are slow moving, roundish and seem to attach themselves to your T's in addition to where you are observing them then they are probably mites...which is not good.

If the infestation is as bad as you describe I would order some predatory mites (Hypoaspis miles) and spread them throughout your collection. They work very well and will keep your entire collection free of the parasitic mites. Plus...if you have taht many they are bound to be in the room whre your collection is...even more reason to get H.miles. These will take a few weeks to work but once theri population build up you won't have mite problems again.

See my post here in scorpion forum.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=349913&postcount=8

You can purchase them here in the US (prob Canada too). I don't know if they ship internationally. :?
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/hypoaspis.html

If you are not able to get the predatory mites then follow galeogirl's and Cherish's directions. In addition: If they are in a carpeted room I would also sprinkle borax powder on the carpet and leave it there for a few weeks (2-3) then vacuum it up. It is non-toxic to pets and humans but will get rid of any insect/infestations in the carpet. Works well on getting rid of roaches too. The borax in the carpet will be safe for your inverts as it is not volitile.

Good Luck.

John
];')

Last edited:

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks you guys for the informations~ guess i know what to do now..

i think it is like what Kugellager said, woodlice, yes i hava at least a piece of wood in every tank , and my haplopelma tank which is basically much more wetter than the rest, has more of it. it is white and long and they move around quite fast and are very obvious. i've seen one or two walking on my T but i think they just walk over them, not cling onto them ..

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you might have a pinhead cricket problem. Crickets often lay eggs in wet or damp substrate. Woodlice are "isopods" do a search on that word. They are desirable in your tanks. Maybe he meant booklice, they aren't necessarily associated with books.